3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How Traditional are you really?  (Read 888 times)

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How Traditional are you really?
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
Wood bows, with Fiberglass "hope that's close enough in that department."
Back Quiver most of the time but I do use on occasion a hip & bow quiver.
Untill I get my butt going with these Cedars I use other materials for arrows.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
Ahhh! Yes traditional is in the mindset as it is with me. I figured this would not be taken in the manner that I thought,but I had hope. The reason for the poll is to see how much traditional materials are still being used. It doesn't mean that if you use other materials that your not as traditional as others,or if you shoot from a rest compared to the knuckle. But with all the advances in materials and technology even in the trad world, I wanted to see who still stuck to the basic wood bow,arrows and the long time back quiver. No harm intended.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
My Safari Arrowmaster quiver hangs on my back but I take the arrows from the side. My beaver pelt quiver hangs on my back but I take the arrows from the mouth(top). Are they both back quivers? If I cut a slit in the side of the beaver to take out my arrows, then what?
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Osage61

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
No harm lpcjon2.   :knothead:    that wasn't what I wanted to say. I saw that the original question brought about a flurry of traditional ideas, thoughts and philosophies. (thanks to "park" for his post which made me re-read mine)So I was commenting on that observation. Didn't want to sound like I was attacking your polling thread Sir. Thank you.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Pro Pelle Cutem"-HBC

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
I have a custom longbow,but I hardly use it anymore. I usualy use one of my old 1960's Bear recurves. Mostly wood arrows,although I do have a few aluminium arrows hanging around. I have a couple bowquivers around,but I really don't use them. I like my backquiver...

I started bowhunting in the 70's with a Bear recurve and wooden arrows in a backquiver.

More times than not... That's what you'll see me with!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline park

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
Im new here and havent talked to many people here but I think sometimes people jump to conclusions about what somebody is asking.That is just my personal observation.I didnt think it was a loaded question and I wish people werent so defensive about something that makes THEM happy.lpcjon2 is a good contibuter to this site and I enjoy reading much of what he has to say.To answer the question I shoot every kind of bow except metal risers and carbon arrows because I dont think they are traditional enough for me.No harm in haveing an opinion about what makes me happy.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
I have a self bow, but I don't shoot it much. I'm really partial to my laminated longbows, but I shoot wood arrows pretty much exclusively, and I use either a side quiver or a bow quiver, depending on what I'm doing or hunting. I don't know where all that puts me on the 'traditional' scale.
Where would G. Fred, the Wensels, or even Fred Bear fall on the scale, since they don't or didn't use back quivers or selfbows. I think Fred Bear used fiberglass arrows quite a bit, too.
Just my humble opinion, but I think that 'traditional' is pretty much a bow without wheels. Lots of folks have been using bow quivers and shot other types of shafts besides woods, and I would think that most of us on this site are pretty traditional in mindset, but may not shoot selfbows, wood shafts, knapped heads, etc. I did get to throw an atlatl yesterday; now that's traditional!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline giff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
I shoot carbons... when those "disappear" stump shooting, i plan on switching to wood. I also shoot a glass bow

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »
Do you get bonus points for wearing plaid shirts and plain pants? I have been out of the "camo" scene for a few years now.  ;)
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2011, 11:31:00 PM »
The term "traditional" was coined in the 70's and meant a bow without wheels. I don't think the definition has change but there's some people that have tried to make it mean something else....maybe because they weren't sure themselves what it meant to be traditional.

I've always shot longbows, recurves and self bows or wood bows. In the picture in my avatar I'm shooting a John Strunk Yew bow, flint tipped wood arrows in a wolverine back quiver.  I still do shoot all of them, sometimes wood bows and wood arrows with a back quiver. Sometimes a glassed bow with carbon or wood arrows in a bow quiver. If it's not a compound then it's "traditional"

I think to say someone is MORE traditional is splitting hairs....but that's JMO
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »
Steve, Jake and Ron said it best.  I think it's easiest to use the simple definition of a bow without wheels.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Aaron2k5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
I am not traditional at all according to your definition and I do not believe the results either. There is now way that many shooting a wood bow, wood bow would be a self bow and not that many on here are shooting one. I bet most contain fiberglass or carbon. I think all these polls and question as to what is traditional are a big joke, that is why I responded. Jake has it fairly close, the sight comment is no doubt wrong, sights have been in use or tried for hundreds of years! Shawn
This.  %99.999 of us are driving a gas powered vehicle to the hunt as well.  I do disagree with raised rests though.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »
About as traditional as I want to be. Even got in door plumbing.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2011, 12:19:00 AM »
I'm with Ron on this one.....
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2011, 12:22:00 AM »
I'm with Ron on this one.  Bow without wheels.
I personally shoot an Osage Selfbow, River cane Arrows and use a  leather Plains style quiver that is hung over my shoulder and hangs on my left side.
Johnny/JAG
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2011, 12:52:00 AM »
By looking into the past/history of archery/bowhunting we can learn a few things.

1944 Fred Bear Allegan,MI ( Notice the bow quiver )

In early 1949, Frank Eicholtz started working with George Gordon to develop a uni-directional fiberglass. Fiberglass fabric embedded in plastic resins rapidly became the standard material for bow backins. Because of the abrasive action of cross threads in the glass frabric, however, it was not suitable for use on the compression surface. Bear and his crew worked on this problem for more than two years, and by 1951 they had solved it by eliminating all cross threads in the fiberglass.

Larry Hughes took the 1941 National archery crown at Portland, Oregan with Easton aluminum arrows.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2011, 02:11:00 AM »
To Quote Ron La Clair
"The term "traditional" was coined in the 70's and meant a bow without wheels. I don't think the definition has change but there's some people that have tried to make it mean something else....maybe because they weren't sure themselves what it meant to be traditional.

I've always shot longbows, recurves and self bows or wood bows. In the picture in my avatar I'm shooting a John Strunk Yew bow, flint tipped wood arrows in a wolverine back quiver. I still do shoot all of them, sometimes wood bows and wood arrows with a back quiver. Sometimes a glassed bow with carbon or wood arrows in a bow quiver. If it's not a compound then it's "traditional"

I think to say someone is MORE traditional is splitting hairs....but that's JMO"

Absolutely, correct.

If you were shooting back then, the term began to mean anything but compounds or crossbows in the field or at shoots. The term "Primitive" was adopted by some to mean selfbows, wood arrows and stone points. You have to think long and hard to improve on either description. Certainly, it was a frame of mind, attitude, or preference by most to include modern materials, and methods, along with the primitive as a way of rebuilding the sport.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2011, 02:13:00 AM »
Yes that says it all.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2011, 03:00:00 AM »
I'm sorry I didn't read the other post. I started shooting archery in the 50's as a young boy. It was called Archery back then and remained that way until I lost interest in the early 70's. I have never shot an arrow through a compound bow. Picked the interest back up in the late 80's. I shoot many different longbows, self and laminated, recurves, take down and one piece with risers made of wood and metal. Traditional to me is a recent term and one put in this kind of question makes me think you are some what new to the passion of something very NICE!

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2011, 03:49:00 AM »
I am as Traditional as Larry D. Jones and Fred Bear!
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©