3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey Hunting Shot Recommendations  (Read 8552 times)

Offline SoftPoint

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey Hunting Shot Recommendations
« on: February 08, 2006, 10:06:00 PM »
Ok guys and gals, I sucessfully hunted turkeys the easy way(shotgun). Now I want to do it seriously with my stick. I did have a shot with my stick last year, it was a broadside shot, and you know what happened... the arrow deflected off his built in armor. So what are the only shots to take on a turkey. I hear that the backside while strutting is the only real shot. Is this true?
-Stix

Offline el cazador

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey Hunting Shot Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 10:26:00 AM »
I have no personal experience in this department, but I've heard the same thing.  Check this link out for testimony of how it works.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/discus/messages/3558/343044.html?1137373771

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 11:11:00 AM »
That looks like Charlie Daniels!

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 11:38:00 AM »
I think you were doing it the right way....a load of number 4's works best for me :-)

Anything with feathers was made for a shotgun..you can quote me on that
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 11:45:00 AM »
Head shot....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 11:55:00 AM »
I stuck one in the side and it worked, kinda angled forward like a deer shot. He was in partial strut and that may have allowed the penetration. Shot one in the side a few years back and it either bounced off and over or Mr T deflected it by raising his wing just at the right time, happened too fast to tell for sure.

Shot for the head of another and got the neck. That works real good but if you shoot like me requires lots of luck.

If one would cooperate by strutting around in front of me for a while, I would try the center of the back shot for sure.

My experience is they don't often do just what you want, may have to improvise.

Offline jgbennett6

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 11:58:00 AM »
I think I'm gonna have to side with Biggie on this one:).. i was a turkey guide for a few years, and even with guns my legs got a workout.
Smoooooth!!
TGMM - Family of the bow

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 12:15:00 PM »
I have shot turks at all angles never really had a problem I like hitting them through the drummys and they never fly.  As far as them head on or the old texas heart shot goes it puts them down real good.  I say just shoot a big old broadhead and you will be fine snuffers are the best I've seen.

Offline SoftPoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 12:37:00 PM »
When you say shoot for the drummies, are you saying the upper leg shot is good. What exactly do you aim for on this shot?
-Stix

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 12:45:00 PM »
On a broadside shot aim for the top of the thighs and just a little forward, you are just about shooting them in the middle of the body, do not shoot forward or high, stay low and back.  Facing away, right below the poop chute and facing you, right under the beard.  Just use a large, multi blade head, no stoppers or adders and you will do fine.  Good luck, Mark
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 12:53:00 PM »
Yes, have shot a few and had to learn the hard way about arrow placement.  The wing butt is great "if" you hit it, but shoot high, low or forward and you hit nothing.  Mark
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 01:41:00 PM »
This is a good topic!  I've made up my mind to hang up the shotgun this year as well.   I've done well in the past with my shotgun but this year I'm gonna try my best to bloody my new Dryad Windtalker during the spring turkey hunt.  A friend of mine loaned me some video tapes featuring bow hunts out of the double bull blind.  A large portion of the first tape I watched featured turkey hunts.  These guys were flat putting them down.  Most of the shots were aimed at the backbone, regardless of the position of the bird.  The majority of the birds went straight down.  I was amazed and encouraged...  I truly believe if I can slip a 3 bladed head, in my case a woodsman, into the backbone of Mr T then he's not going anywhere.
Tony McCall

Jesus.  There is no other name...  Acts 4:12

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 01:46:00 PM »
Come on Biggie,
We can quote you on that, but I think the "boys" you hang with would have to disagree.  And besides, turkeys are stupid, you just have to get em closer.... (said by my 7 year old son, after 4 days of unsuccessful hunting with a buddy), "really Dad, just shoot the one off the porch, he tore the screen up this morning"
sure enough, big tom, on the deck, fighting with himself and ripped the screen to pieces....
stupid birds anyways.  The plan is in place, just waiting to see if I get drawn for this spring, Mr Tom, I would like you to meet Mr Snuffer........................
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline SoftPoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 01:49:00 PM »
I think it will be very challenging. It seems the two most important items to have with you...besides your stick and your call... is a decoy, and some type of blind material, like burlap. you can get away with hiding in some natural foliage, but in my case, in Colorado, I may not find any. hence the burlap.
-Stix

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 01:58:00 PM »
Kentucky heart shot.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2006, 02:44:00 PM »
Double bull blind...fun fun fun....head shots
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline SoftPoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2006, 02:55:00 PM »
I definitely no going to use one of the portable blinds. I get kinda claustropboic, so about the most I will use is blind material.
-Stix

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2006, 02:59:00 PM »
I'm with Biggie...but I prefer #5s!  Seriously, I've killed two with a bow by hitting them where the wing meets the body, but I've also lost one that way.  The folks I know who are most successful shoot them in the thighs and if I go after them with my stick this year, that's what I'll be aiming for.

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2006, 05:00:00 PM »
Suggest you use a blind. Don't set your decoy(s) more then 10 paces out from the blind. Limit your shot to anything at the decoy or closer. I find a broad side shot best but be prepared for the bird to run to even fly. I have killed two that both took flight One died in the air, the other required a second arrow. Two others ran but made it less then 30 yards. Just rememder to really concentrate on a specific spot or you will be screwed.  39 days till I'm out there a huntin em!
Warning, once you start hunting turkeys with a bow, you won't want to quit!
Make a life, not a living

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2006, 05:32:00 PM »
what mark said

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©