3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: VPA Terminator broadheads???  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Sambar

• Trad Bowhunter
VPA Terminator broadheads???
« on: June 25, 2011, 04:35:00 AM »
looking at getting some vpa terminator broadheads in 125gr to go on Easton powerflights with a 50gr brass insert. has anyone had any experience with these broadheads and is it better to use a 175gr head or use a 125gr head with a 50 gr insert to get the right spine?
Those who hunt miss... those who don't hunt miss far more.
Time spent without bow or rod in hand is time forever wasted.

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: VPA Terminator broadheads???
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
I like the longer profile broadheads, so I would use the 175. I personally use the 200. Either head behind the shoulder of a game animal will work so it is really a matter of your preferance.
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
I have shot the 175 and love them. I have not shot the 125.  I personally would go with the 175 if possible to get the longer more 3 to 1 profile and non-vented.  I think that is a better way to go, but I would still give the 125 a go if it came down to needing that weight.

Are you talking about a 175 screw in vs. a 125 glue on with a 50 gr. adaptor?  Or are you talking about the difference between a 50 gr. brass insert or standard insert for a carbon arrow?  Aluminum inserts still have weight.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
Once you go heavy on BH's you'll never use a 125 again.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Sambar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
Yea I have used heavy before on my savannah and hill bow. I need around 175 up front per the calculator with the arrows I want to use for my 45# grizzly giving me a 10.1gpi and a Foc of around 13% witch will be a great fast hard hitting arrow out of a 45# bow. so was thinking if I went a 50gr brass insert I could use a 125gr head or use a 25gr alloy insert with 150 but i like the idea of being able to use 125gr head as it is very readaly available and could switch heads very easily If I want small game heads ect. is there any difference in having 50gr insert and 125gr head to having 25gr insert and 150gr head? And has anyone used the sorter fat looking 125gr terminators I think they look really nice.

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
If you're gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly Bear.

Not sure what that means exactly, but I like the way it sounds.  

Ive used the 175s and 200s.  I like the longer head (3:1 ish).

If you are shooting close shots the heavy head will not mean much as long as your spine can take it.  If you are a longer distance shooter... you'll have alot more elevation to account for in your shot.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
Use the calculator with caution.  Make sure to work down to what you need to account for variables, which can’t be always calculated.  I find that there is a small, but noticeable difference between a longer shaft and shorter shaft with different point weight and the same calculated dynamic spine.  I also find a small, but noticeable difference between a heavy head out front of a light insert and a light head in front of heavy inserted.  Something about shifting the mass of the front end weight forward and back. Nothing that can’t be worked out with some length variation in the shaft, but it will be a little different even  though the calculator says they are the same.  Different inserts also have different lengths and cause a small footing effect or small flexible shaft length change.
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
Oh, and I also get your point on the 125 gr. point.  I think the same way about being able to get a whole pile of different heads that weight. When I got back into trad a little more seriously I was determined to work out an arrow with a 125 gr. point.  It is not hard to go to about any archer shop here and get some kind of cut on contact 125 gr. head. Now I don’t worry about that.  I just try to get a great flying arrow with a real good head I can use over and over again.  The VPA is a seriously hard core BH in the solid design.  Not sure how the vented holds up.

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
I second what "Big Sexy" said! His arrow quite easily blew through his bear..... obviously a good set-up!

The longer 175 gr. (or even heavier) is never a bad choice!

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
I'm in the homestretch on tuning my 51#@30. My 5575s got too short and will only push 125 grains so I stepped up to 7795s and they're too stiff with 175 grains, so I've ordered 200 and 250 gr points this a.m. from Kustom King...

Where I hope to wind up with is 200 grain terminators. Easy to sharpen, tough, quiet. 3:1.

Yeah, "Big Sexy" I've never shot a broadhead or arrow this heavy, and as part of my dailies I start at 5 yards and shoot a single arrow every 5 yards out to 40 and out there I'm really lobbing them. Like mortar shells and that's with the 175s. Can't wait to see what they do with a buick bumper bolted on the front.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by PaddyMac:

Where I hope to wind up with is 200 grain terminators. Easy to sharpen, tough, quiet. 3:1.  
:thumbsup:  

Originally posted by PaddyMac:

Can't wait to see what they do with a buick bumper bolted on the front.
:biglaugh:
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
VPA makes an incredible 3 blade head and I can't wait to test their 2 blade as well.

If you use the right inserts you can add weight behind the insert and use the same weight head on any bow, though non vented and longer should work better IMHO.

I would bet that the beauty of shooting the 125 (having many potential heads to choose from) becomes null and void once you shoot the VPA because your search for perfection will be over.  Solid head machined from tool steel...nothin finer...
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline Sambar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys alot of people are talking about vented heads I'm pretty shore the 125gr is soild it's only the 100gr head that is vented but yes it is much shorter than the heavier heads. I completely understand about the whole heavy arrow but I'm only shooting these out of a 45# grizzly is it too much wieght to go up in spine and add say 200Gr up front?  I would think 10.1gpi and 13%Foc would be a good allrounder witch for my draw length on a 400 spine shaft means I need 175gr upfront. or should I go with a 300spine and go up in wieght even more, do these bows like to shoot heavy arrows and will loosing alot of speed and not gaining much K/E be worth it?

Offline Sambar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »

Offline Sambar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
I've just ordered some vpa terminators in 150gr to go in standard 21gr alloy inserts on a eastern powerflight 400 shaft full length 31.5" with vanes yes vanes 3x4" should give me 9.9gpi and 13+% Foc with good speed and K/E @my 29.5" draw out of my new 2011 bear grizzly 45#@28" with an elevated rest. I think they will take down our fallow, hog and sambar deer,pigs and goats no worries. And should be a good wetweather/allrounder for my working mans bow.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
What weight are you pulling? what is your draw length ?
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Sambar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
45# @ 28" and my draw is 29.5" mate

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
Sounds like you can get where you need to be with some cutting or side plate adjustments.

You are right about the 125 VPA being solid. I mix them up with the WW Elite.  The WW is vented in 125.

Offline Sambar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
yea i haved worked it out so if i want to change from vanes to feathers i can just chop some length of the arrow to get it back up to correct spine and i think i will be pretty spot on with the calculations the stu calculator has never let me down has been spot on for me each time ive made an arrow up so far. and the grizzly is cut past center so it should be pretty spine tolerable compared to what im use to tuning my hill bow.

yea i was getting confused for a bit there myself i had to get on there web site again, but no matter as i ordered 150gr so they are a little longer so should be better.

cheers

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 07:21:00 AM »
Terminators are the ticket. I had them make some extra, extra large heads for me in the same style. Love the way they fly and sharpen. They are also tougher than woodpecker lips!

bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©