3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Here i go again...Carbons (Update #2) a blow by blow of trying to tune a carbon  (Read 573 times)

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I have never really had good luck with carbons, with my draw length 31" and the need for a 32" arrow and my draw weight 59# @ 31" I always seem to fall right in between arrow spines to where my arrow is to light with the lighter spine or to heavy with the stiffer spine so I gave up on them about 3 years ago.

Well the bug bit me again and I decided to give it one more try. I never did try the skinny ones so I’m going to give the MFX Classic 340 a try. When all said a done I’m hoping for an arrow around 600 grains. The MFX is going to sport the VPA terminator in 175 or 200 grain with a 75 or 50 grain hit insert. If it works      :pray:      I should have a killer arrow.

One of these day I will find that one arrow that will just make me smile. Wish me luck from past experience I’m going to need it.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Just foot it with a piece of re-bar.Good luck !
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm in the same boat. I am shooting full length 7795s that nock right with bare shafts and 175 gr. field points. With 7 inches of crest wrap and four 4" shields my arrows weigh 578 right now, so 200 grains (just ordered 200s and 250s this morning) would put me right at 603 grains.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline pauljr

• Trad Bowhunter
pops, im shooting 59lb at 31# with my widow and im shooting Full metal jackets 300 spine 32" long and they bare shaft great for me with a 75gr. brass insert and 125 field point.
PBS Associate Member

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I wont tolerate it" Woodrow F Call

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
I think you'll like those arrows. You just can't beat a Beman MFX Classic!
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm shooting 54 @ 31
300 spine with 220 up front including insert. that bow is cut a little past center...
590 grains or so.
yeah, 31 inch draw and arrow finding is not the funnest game.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I doubt I will ever shoot another arrow now that I've "discovered" Beman MFX.

I shoot my age - 10 so I need only 600 or 500 spines with my arrows ending up at 414-500 depending upon which way I go. I long (a little) for the days when I shot my age + 10 by the way.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Pops, the mfx classic is 11.2 gpi, the axis and beaman bone collector are 9.5 gpi if your looking at weight. Easton's web site lets you print a $10 mail in rebate for a dozen, $5 for 6.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
Pops, I shoot 58-62@31 with all my bows and with some bows I find the CX Heritage will fit some of the spine gaps as they are spined a little different than the typical 300,340,400, etc...  They are some of the heavier carbon shafts as well.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Oregon Okie:
yeah, 31 inch draw and arrow finding is not the funnest game.
Yup it can be a pain, I’m not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I like to tinker and am envious of the guys with shorter draws that can play with a lot of arrows to make what they want and we are stuck with what will work weather it’s what we want or not, don’t get me wrong when I go out in the field I am very happy with a set up that works just the tinker side of me can’t play like I want to  :banghead:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
I switched to the beemans last year. I shoot 56@28. Im shooting 340's, 75 grain insert, cut to 31.5" and 150 grain head. They seem to fly great, but I had to put off fine tuning until I heal.
GREAT arrows. I was impressed with CE 150's. I only broke one at the Muzzy(arrow eating stump shoot). My buddy didnt even ding one of his beemans, and that is when I decided the next arrows I tried would be mfx. So far very happy.....except for the amount of strain it take to remove them from the foam targets.  :D
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Udate..... recived my MFX 340, again to light when tunned. Ordered some Axis 300, just recived those and again to heavy when tuned. so i have some good tradgangers sending me some 2016 cutoffs that i will try footing the MFX 340's with to try to stiffin them up. This should allow me the keep the weight i need up front. I will use the 75 grain HIT insert ( i really like these by the way) and a 175 grain tip and will adjust the footing lenght untill it tunes. Should have the cutoffs any time. I think this will work,  :pray:    Again wish me luck unless you are in the market for some MFX or Axis then dont
    :biglaugh:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
wtpops, the footing will increase the diameter of the shaft at the side plate possibly making them act stiffer. Adding more weight beyond that of the footing might take care of that and your lightness problem.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by chopx2:
wtpops, the footing will increase the diameter of the shaft at the side plate possibly making them act stiffer. Adding more weight beyond that of the footing might take care of that and your lightness problem.
I plan on starting out with a 3" footing this will reach back 1" past the incert and as far as dynamic spine will in effect shorten the shaft by 1" which should stiffin the shaft quite a bit. I will most likly end with a footing a bit shorter than that, im guessing some where around 2.75 to 2.5 inches but will start with 3" and assumeing to stiff at this lenght will cut the footing shorter untill it comes into tune.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I would try the carbon express heritage series 150 shafts or an arrow dynamics shaft.
James Kerr

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by JamesKerr:
I would try the carbon express heritage series 150 shafts or an arrow dynamics shaft.
The 150 is way to week for my set up remember i need a 32" arrow. Im like right in between a .340 and .300 deflection, i can get both of these to tune but the 340 ends up way to light for my liking and the 300 ends up way to heavy. i think footing the 340 to make it stiffer might just solve this. Thank you for the input
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
wtpops, can you add more fletch or perhaps a cap wrap to stiffen the 340's?
shoot straight shoot often

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Try Hertitage 250s and add weight untill you get there.  It will happen
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by awbowman:
Try Hertitage 250s and add weight untill you get there.  It will happen
The 250 has a .373 deflection and will be way to week i am between a .340 and .300
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
Pops, keep us posted on your findings.  I always like to see what other long draw shooters get for results, especially because I have a new bow coming.  It will be 58# at my 31" draw.  I am planning on going with the CX Heritage 350 which are .320 spine and 12GPI.  I've used them on my cut to or past center bows at around 60# and ended up with arrows 32-33" long with 150-225 up front depending on the bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©