3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool clothing  (Read 578 times)

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
Wool clothing
« on: June 25, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
Looking for some good wool cloths, what sponsors on here sell wool? I know of Asbell and Ron LaClair's shop but would like to hear some others.

Thanks,
Ari

Offline pauljr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool clothing
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »
I know its ungodly expensive but i really love king of the mountain.
PBS Associate Member

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I wont tolerate it" Woodrow F Call

Offline Rebel Yelp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
There is Day One Camoflage. Expensive but not as much as some others.

http://www.dayonecamouflage.com/

Two Tracks makes an awesome hunting vest. They are also a sponsor.

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
Gray Wolf Woolens is a sponsor.
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Offline John Fragale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
I agree with king of the mountain. Best wool i ever used. Will last a long time. Very expensive but i will spend the extra cash for good wool. You won't be sorry.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by John Fragale:
I agree with king of the mountain. Best wool i ever used. Will last a long time. Very expensive but i will spend the extra cash for good wool. You won't be sorry.
Said perfectly.......
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
Two tracks has some beautiful thick vests, and are a sponsor.
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »
The real good stuff - big price, but divided by years of wear - pretty cheap. I have DAY One fleece that's 20 years old and still good. That will be this Fall's wool purchase. Not for everyday wear tho, just hunting. TWO TRACKS vests look very impressive.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
Ditto KOM is the best out there. Followed closely by Sleeping Indian.

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
Old KOM is nice, new KOM leave something to be desired imo. I have both. They are sewn in Mexico now & the pants I bought fell apart the first week I had them.One week of hunting for 350 dollar pants aint good. They simply are not made as well as they used to be. I own a bunch of gww & have put them thru the paces & it is awesome stuff.I believe it is the best right now, hand sewed by one of our own tradgang ladies & a sponsor.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
what Bigriver said X10 !!! I would not take anything for my Gray Wolf Woolens vest. Don't forget the base layer of Ullfrotte' wool longjohns and you are set for anything.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
I had KOM a decade ago. Didn't take me long to decide I was disappointed in its performance. I sold it and bought Sleeping Indian. The wool fabric was heavier weight and the weave was tighter. The attention to detail was much better in my mind. I was very happy with it. I later sold 100% of it ($1,500 retail) when I realized how much versatility synthetics offered.

Today I own almost no wool, mainly because I prefer frequently-washed hunting clothes. Wool is not easy to wash and dry quickly.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 05:09:00 PM »
Own KOM, Sleeping Indian, Columbia and also a Gray Wolf Woolens Kromer type hat but do prefer the SI over the KOM in colder weather.

Only synthetics Kevin…tsk, tsk, tsk… :)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
LL bean. good price and quality made.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
I have an old Swan Dry jacket I got from Screaming Eagle in the 90's. It is very warm if you can find an old one it would be a good product. I have always worn Filson wool and it has never let me down. I bought the timber camo which is not the best pattern in the world but it works. Filson is tough heavy wool it comes out when weather gets rough. I live in my wool if I guide rifle in Montana the season goes till after Thanksgiving and we usally saddle horses in the single didgets or colder. I have had synthetics but they just dont seem to hold up and as far as washing goes thats the best thing about wool you dont wash it. Even if I sweat with wool i never get cold when I sit down for a stand hunt. It is heavy and is a little harder to lug around in the high country but it can save your life.
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
For the record, I absolutely agree that wool is a great fabric. Once I really started traveling to far places and lugging gear, the wool had to go. You just don't see many guys loading up their backpacks with wool garments when weight really matters. In an unrestricted setting, wool is a great choice.

The last hunt I wore wools (SI) on was a Yukon horseback hunt in October. By the time it was over my wools were just plain stinking. Odors of smoke, pack horse, human body, and food were very strong. I experienced the same thing (but no horses) on a British Columbia wilderness hunt. Even a good dry cleaning couldn't remove the smoke odors. They had to hang for a month. I've had some of the best wool garments ever made. A 30 mile windy boat ride in the NWT demonstrated (several times) that my wools would not stop wind penetration 100%. I had to shell-up over the wool. So did my partner.

When I began regularly going to Alaska (a great place to test your garments) I did some soul searching. I followed the advice of those who've been there and done that. They advised me to forget the heavy wools and go with synthetic layers. So I did. I've never regretted it once. Sweating inside my garments is mostly a thing of the past. I can stream-wash them and have them dry in a couple hours. Extra or excess layers stow and carry easily during the hunting day. Water and mud...even blood comes right off my softshell outer layer. I don't feel grubby/smelly by the end of a 12 day wilderness hunt.

Both types of garments have their place, and no one type is superior in all ways to another. This thread is about wools, and I'm glad we have the choice to get good garments in wool. I just don't have as much use for it these days. I would look to people like Sleeping Indian, Gray Wolf and maybe a couple plaid makers if I was in the market to buy wools again.

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
Don't forget to look at Silent predator wool, you can get it from Bernie Parson.com I just bought a vest from him, same wool as KOM,but sewn in Canada not Mexico
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
Okay Kevin, now you got me wondering what synthetics you prefer?

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
I really love Grey Wolf and Sleeping Indian.  I know there are alot of great new synthetics out there now...but I love my wool.  But what I really love is the long underwear that is made by Smartwool.  This stuff is great!

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
Me to Kevin I always look for a good system its just every thing I have used that is man made its usally shreded when I am through with it. I have cabelas breathable rain gear which maybe breathable when sitting still but not hiking. It was in shreads after a 6 day elk hunt in NW Montana. I have not looked at Sitka or the new Kuiu just because I did not think they could hold up maybe I should look at them more closely. I have cotton predetor camo from the 90's that has held up well for early bowhunting but the new stuff rips constantly its not even heavy denimum. Sounds like you have done some serious back country hunting I would like to know what you use and how it holds up. Wool is heavy there is no doubt but it has been the best I could find for cold weather and durability. I would like to hear from you.
Scott
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©