3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool clothing  (Read 577 times)

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool clothing
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
For me, when stand hunting it is wool, if I am moving or in the mountains it’s a combination of wool and synthetics: the farther in I go the less wool I take.   I have bought, used, and still have many types of high and low end wool, my preference is Gray Wolf and Swandrri (sp).
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
All you have to do to remove any odor is put your clothes in a large plastic bag, and then hook up an ozon generator to it, leave it on for one hour and then shut it off and leave the bag closed for another half hour and it's done, NO ODORS at all.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 07:31:00 AM »
Gary & Scott,

On backcountry hunts I normally pack 3 sets of syn long underwear in different weights. Over that goes Sitka 90%, or Cabela's Micro Tex. I always have a lightweight woven midlayer insulative piece with me, as well as a sweater-jacket filled with either down, Primaloft, or other light and lofty insulation. I often pack a pair of insulated micro-fleece pants for cold mornings. My wind and rain shell is currently a 3 year old set of Sitka Nimbus. This is a true ultralight rain shell, with no middle layers or hanging liner. It dries quickly and stuffs to softball size. I'll likely have other pieces along for the hunt, but that's the main sum of it. Notice I never carry a coat, parka or heavy jacket. I must add that a search of my duffel bag might reveal some merino wool long underwear, or maybe Ulfrotte. I still always wear syn uw next to my skin.

This year I do have a set of KUIU to try. I think it will be very much like the Sitka, but different in some ways. I have grown to love the tight and water repellent outer finish of softshell garments. They stretch...they repel water and mud...they stay cleaner...and they are very comfortable.

Scott, as far as durability goes...I've never had much issues there. I believe wool would win the day however. Maybe I'm a fussy hunter (I don't really think so) or maybe my age has made me patient. I don't charge through brush or give my gear extremely rough treatment. I tend to treat good gear with some care, so it survives for future use. I know my Nimbus might shred if I crawled across a shale slide in it. I'd sacrifice it to get a shot at a ram, though! I know guys talk about the advantages of wool, and I understand them. Synthetics have just as many, if not more, advantages for me vs wool. In my mind the "wet clothing" issue is way more theoretical than actual. Like goose down...guys say it gets wet and is worthless. Maybe, but in 30 years of using goose down I have yet to get it wet. I have gotten synthetics very wet, and they did not chill me one bit. The wicking nature of today's syns is amazing, as is their fast-drying characteristics.

I like the rugged nature of tough wool. I like the way it looks. I like how I feel sneaking through alders with Sleeping Indian wools on...top to bottom. I've got plenty of pics to prove that wool has helped me kill game. When I "went" synthetic, I made a concious decision to weigh out all the important qualities (and negatives perhaps) of wool vs synthetics. I did it with an open mind and I avoided letting traditional thinking affect my mind. I'm all for tradition of course, but I'm a hunter first and foremost. I go with what works best for me on any hunt.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 07:42:00 AM »
You kinda went past the Asbell wool in your original post, but don't ignore it.....awesome value and quality. I have more Asbell wool than anything else. I do also love Filson....but the older I gt the pricier it seems.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
"Warm," may not be comfortable for "you," but your body works better when it is warmed up. Your joint's conective tissue, muscles, even digestion, everything works optimally when warm. Synthetics are not insulation, they just inhibit breathing, and, dry fast. Add the two of these together and you will get some thermal action.
Just can't imagine getting cold in the wool stuff. I have yet to find a day so cold that I needed to up the ante and put on expedition weight long underware. I've worn it on an 85deg turkey opener day, cotton long-johns of course, and was fine. Baking Soda and a big trash bag. Open baking soda, place the open box in bag, put wool in bag over night, you will be happy by morning. I've belly crawled through cow pasture with my SI wool, they do not stink.
 They both work, just don't be fooled into thinking that it is better, especially at insulating.... how many layers did you wear on that cold day with poly on??? wool don't need all those layers. Proper long-johns for temp/activity, wool shirt and pants, wind/rain block shell for just in-case, and go. Last thing, don't forget the extra water when wearing poly, your body will go through a ton.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »
"Synthetics are not insulation, they just inhibit breathing"

Is this an opinion, or has science decided that anything man-made (synthetic) can't be an insulator? If you can back that up with facts, I'll eat my words and buy you a Morrison. ;-)

"how many layers did you wear on that cold day with poly on??? wool don't need all those layers."

Just enough to stay comfortably warm without sweating up my clothing.

"don't forget the extra water when wearing poly, your body will go through a ton."

Simple physiology proves that the higher your core temp, and the more you perspire, the more water your body uses to accomplish cooling. I used to sweat my guts out marching up hills with heavy wools on. I'd drink water like a camel. Syns allow me more versatility to regulate my temperature. I sweat less. I am cooler under exertion. I require much less replacement fluids during a warm day.

Having done a decade of hard hunting in fine wools, and then several years of central Alaska moose, bear and caribou hunting in synthetics, my body understands how it is most comfortable, hydrated, and rested. Synthetics are my choice, but not everyone's. I understand that and have no problem with it. Use what you like, and what makes you happy. No sense in arguing that one is superior to the other. Different, yes.

Wood....or carbon?

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
I wish I could win that Morison but dont they use fiberglass for insulating houses and what about thermolite. I think the list will go on and on for synthetics used for insulating. Its just a matter of oppinion.
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 05:40:00 PM »
Thanks for all the advice, but I'm really only looking for wool products.

Some of these camo dealer charge a lot for there wool, does anyone know of some dealers that sell more plaid type wools at a cheaper price like Fred G or Ron?

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
Being a southern guy, I don't have the experience with EXTREME COLD days, but I have had more than my share of WET ones which can make 20 degrees just as deadly as -20.  I totally agree with the thought that getting wet (from the outside) is a thing of the past with the rain gear we have now.  I too vote for the synthetics and proper layering.  With it I can be as warm or as cool as I want to be and it will dry QUICK.

Just my two cents.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ari:
Thanks for all the advice, but I'm really only looking for wool products.

Some of these camo dealer charge a lot for there wool, does anyone know of some dealers that sell more plaid type wools at a cheaper price like Fred G or Ron?
I think if you want better prices than Fred and Ron you might look at some slightly used military outlets
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
Absolutley. Here's a simple test, especially now that it is summer. Take a synthetic garment, sitka, gore tex, etc.. put an arm in a sleeve and go out in the noon day sun. Note the amount of the sun's heat that goes right through that "insulation." Now put a good woven SI, KOM, wool garment on the other arm and note how little of the suns radiation, warmth, gets through. That is "insulation," I won't waste your time and tell you to try the same test with the 2 fabrics on a 20deg day by jumping in water then seeing what will insulate you better when soaked.  
  This is why.  The synthetic fiber itself does not breathe, only when it is woven in to a fabric can it allow breathability. If you made a jacket out of a sheet/film of the synthetic fabric you would be miserable and soaked with sweat when wearing it. The man made synthetic fibers are solid and hydrophobic, they will absorb less than .5% of there weight in water. The "insulation" they provide is not from the "insulating" value of the fabric. Again here's how. The "insulation" effect is provided by the weave of the product, it is woven in a way to allow a certain amount of vapor and heat to escape through the garment. Colder temps requires more layers to trap more heat, and warmer require less.  When they are wet, the colder temp's of the water displaces your body heat that "was" trapped inside the layers.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
Your choice of long underware will make a huge difference whan wearing wool. If you are going to be stalking in temps above 40-45deg with calm winds wear cotton longjohns!, t-shirt thickness for both top and bottoms. Freezing temps, but still stalking, light to mid weight poly, or ulfrotte wool. Sitting all day in the cold, heavy to expedition weight poly, or ulfrotte wool.
 All in all 2 layers, longjohns, and wool outer wear. By that I mean shirt, pants, hat. Now if it is more extreme cold or very windy, step it up to a jacket or vest with a windblock liner. That said my vest is almost never needed.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
When your body's core temp rises too much the body tries to achieve ballance by sweating. You are over heated, so your body produces sweat. So that it can be on your skin to allow evap cooling to take place. Problem with the poly stuff is that it dries too fast and does not give the body enough time to cool down the core because the fabric has left you dry. For those who think this is inaccurate look at it this way, If your body had to continually produce sweat just to keep you "wet" because the fabric is "wicking" it away, how much water do you think your body will go through to make this happen?? Now compare this to a simple cotton shirt. It sucks up water like a spounge and sticks on to your body, right, now your body does not have to continue to produce sweat to cool down your core, because, you are in effect already wet, by the cotton shirt! Obviously don't wear the cotton in the winter, but with a little adjustment you can wear you wool in the spring with no probs of dehydration.

Offline Greg Dearth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
King of the Mountain wool. Like the old saying goes... you get what you pay for. The wool I've used bar none.

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
Interesting info there swampthing, the lightbulb come on bright when you wrote about wool verses synthetic in full sun, I agrre the wool would be cooler therefore better insulated.

Some don't care for these debates / posts but I enjoy reading peoples opinions and then forming my own.  Im not ready to trade my wool in yet. Even though I think hunting in Alaska would be a good test for which is better due to the wet & cold environment.

Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
Thanx for your input Kevin.

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
I have day one and gw. Both are excellent. I love my wool for treestand hunting and have found nothing better
BD

Offline Badwithabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
Ok not as experienced as some but here's what I found.... I'vei hunt n Ga mtn I've always worn syns until last year and I went to wool and won't go back. I ordered a vest and long sleeve from asbell. All I wore was ua cold gear under and was comfy with just the vest til Nov. Looping hikes up the mountain I just wore my ua compression and toted my wo ol long shirt. I got some used military pants used pilypropelene underwear and was more than comfy in every situation from 75 deg to 8deg wind blowing to full out wet snow n rain. O yea I also used mukuluks those keep feet warm. O yea i usually only stand hunt but also hiked 2 hrs up mtns in my wool. Take your time sweat can be avoided with a good wicking layer just my .02
Brandon Moore
Rome,Ga

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
For the price columbia makes a decent blend.  I bought dayone wool vest and pullover and it is very good. There was a lady that made me a wool jacket and bibs years ago and it is still good and I hunt hard in it for 8 years.  I am thinking of Graywolf woolens for my next, set.  For the money i think they are better than KOM and sleeping Indian.  I struggled with spending the money for while, till my wife of all people said, that the clothes I wear hunting is more important than the bow and tackle.  Not worth getting sick (dieing) and it is and investment in a good quality hunting experiance.  I can say that since spending money on quality products, saves money in the long run.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
toddster, agree totally on the Columbia. I love my Columbia pants on one condition...... no wind above 5 MPH and temp below 30. If it is windy it will go right thru the Columbia.

I am saving for a set of Gray Wolf Woolens pants or bibs now. NO wind will get thru the GWW. Hunted all year last year in my GWW vest and was toasty even at 10 degrees. I wore 400gr Ullfrotte' long johns and a Cabelas sweater under the vest.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©