3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Should I be concerned ?  (Read 256 times)

Offline Trab

• Trad Bowhunter
Should I be concerned ?
« on: June 26, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
Just wondering what you NorthEastern woods hunters think about a series of stories here in lower NY State involving the appearance of Mountain Lions in the area. I have seen the posts in the past in which most seem to deny the existence of any population. The current stories include a cat that was hit and killed by a car on the Wilbur Cross Parkway in Ct,(picture was taken) and a picture of one that was taken in a backyard in Greenwich Ct...These two cats could easily be the same one, but maybe not. In addition, I personally know two people in my area (Dutchess/Putnam NY) who have seen cats in the past couple of years but have no pictures or evidence other than their own vision. I do however have high respect for their honesty as well as their knowledge of wildlife.

In addition to the cats, two other respected people that I spoke with have seen a wolf. One has a picture taken from his trail cam which I saw.

My question to you guys is how concerned should I be walking into and out of the woods in the dark ?     :scared:   In addition there are the ever present Coyotes......Are you concerned ? Should I not fret ?     :dunno:    I ask this NOT to be over reactive and panic starting.......It is however a concern of mine.... your thoughts....
“The virtue lies In the struggle, not the prize”
Richard Monckton Milnes

Mark Trabakino
[email protected]
Stormville, New York

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Should I be concerned ?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
I see your tie is to concern walking in and out of the woods presumably for hunting.

Not much of an expert, but the problems in CA w/ cats, from reading is that there is a lot of human contact but no hunting = no fear.

PA is also Mt. Lion free... but I know many people who see them and have pictures of them.

E. Coyotes can run BIG.

Have personally never given it a thought in the woods I hunt in Centra PA Mts. Been trailed in the snow by cats in MT, but they were likely just curious.

In areas where hunting occurs, I'd not be fear-filled.  Animals still seem to consider man a predator in those areas; not so in areas where all hunting is eliminated.  

I like my wild areas a bit wild.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
your chances are a lot better being killed in a car accident on the way to your hunting area...
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »
You will be fine. From what i understand about most of NY is its just like the mountains of NC, where i live. Everyone and their brother here has saw a mountain lion, or the imfamous "Black Panther" lol. i do not believe in such but to each their own.

Just remember when walking out, dont worry about the noises you hear because anything that is going to hurt you will stalk you silently.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline pauljr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
I agree with Doc, dont woory too much about it and go hunting. Having a problem with a cat coyote or wolf would be like getting struck with lightning twice.
PBS Associate Member

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I wont tolerate it" Woodrow F Call

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »
In my opinion you are in greater danger of two legged predators than four.  Not saying that large cats, wolves and bears wouldn't make me more cautious but my experience is you are much more likely to encounter unsavory human beings in the woods these days. I have crossed paths with vagabonds, druggies and possibly even criminal fugitives not to mention illegals.  Times are hard and being alone in the woods with some of these folks can be down right scary.  If you go afield properly armed for this threat, you should be equally as well prepared for any natural predator threat.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
It doesn't sound like there are reports of attacks on humans in your area, but if the first report is of you I see your concern! The edge you get from hunting near other predators adds to the hunting experience. I used to be afraid of bears till I killed one. I respect them, but don't fear them. I think you have to get to that point somehow. It would be a shame to lose that hunt desire by being afarid to travel to your hunting areas during the right times. Carry a light, and when you hear those noises in the dark, just think how you can't get that feeling sitting on a couch with a video game!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jedimaster:
In my opinion you are in greater danger of two legged predators than four.  
I agree with this 100%. Watch out for the marijuana crops. You know they are camping close by.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline Rookie@51

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
Here in the south I have personnely seen 3 cats in the woods. While we have state biologist that will say differently they are here. While I can say that there has never been a sighting in their office I will tell you that most of the time you won't see them in the wild. I have found where they have fed and then covered up what was left with leaves. You may see their sign but rarely will you see them. All three times I have seen the cats (2 yellow and 1 black) it was a chance sighting. I have heard them calling, yelling or what ever you want to call it, and it will make the hair stand up on your neck but I don't fear being attacked by one. I guess the thing that has scared me the most in all my years hunting was walking into a pack of bedded hogs before daylight. I'm here to tell you that will make the hair all over your body stand up. But that is another story.......Just my 2 cents worth.......Dusty
66" Shadowcast Longbow 58# @ 28"
 By Tree's Custom Bows.
60" FireFly take down Longbow 54# @ 28" By Mr. Jim Jones

Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the floor
each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, He's up!"

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
We have mountain lions in far west Texas, but they don't bother people. They do their best to avoid people.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
I would have more fear walking down town after dark than I would in the woods anywhere anytime.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jedimaster:
In my opinion you are in greater danger of two legged predators than four.  Not saying that large cats, wolves and bears wouldn't make me more cautious but my experience is you are much more likely to encounter unsavory human beings in the woods these days. I have crossed paths with vagabonds, druggies and possibly even criminal fugitives not to mention illegals.  Times are hard and being alone in the woods with some of these folks can be down right scary.  If you go afield properly armed for this threat, you should be equally as well prepared for any natural predator threat.
now you guys are scarring me    :scared:
I never thought about that stuff, as I'm not too worried about the other critters mentioned.
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
Definitely had cougar scratch marks on a horse near Spring, Tx just 6 months ago. Another friend 12 miles north Cleveland claims 2 times to have seen a cougar attack her dogs both times in the early morning. She's lost 3 dogs & more cats in the past few months. I investigated & did not find cougar tracks. We're over 10" down in rainfall & East Texas clay is hard as Chinese Physics making tracks hard to see. She said it was bigger than her biggest dog & he's 100#.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
Im a little north of you, and I have been having some sightings reported here too. I have found tracks. I have found two deer carcasses "buried". Family members have had sightings. Good friends and great woodsmen have had sightings.
I tend to get a little....what is the word...cautious when entering the woods pre-dawn.
Now, typically, due to military service and my upbringing, I ALWAYS carry a large knife that is easily attained. Not so much for protection, but for any of the other many uses frequently found in the field.
I also do better sans a light. I wear a headlight, but almost never turn it on. Once my eyes adjust, I feel more comfortable.

Whether or not large predators are returning to NY, I look at it this way. They were here before NY was colonized. The American Indians were about as trad as it got, and they managed. The colonists managed. I figure I will too. And I got a big knife if needed.  :)
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Hashiba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
I have to say gents, we have cougars (Mountain Lions) aplenty up here in BC.  Tons of them all over the province.

Sightings are quite rare, attacks are extremely rare.  Around here most folks are much more concerned with the bears (who rarely attack people either).

I have to agree with several of the above posts!  Mary-Jay Grow-Ops are probably the single most worrying thing if you are poking about off the beaten track away from normal trails and logging activity.  I've never run into anything myself, but I've had a few tales told first hand from those that have run into patches, or been held at gunpoint by the freaks growing it.

I think hunters are automatically safer than most average hikers in that we are actively looking around us 100% of the time.

Don't let it keep you out of the bush!  I certainly don't!   :thumbsup:

Offline Last of the Breed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
In my opinion the thought just makes the hunt/hike all that more interesting.
1 John 1:7  , and the blood
of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin

Offline Trab

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 01:49:00 PM »
Lotsa good advice...appreciate it all, and agree with most of it...I have no intention of slowing down my hunting. Can't wait for October as usual. Just wondering if any extra precautions were taken by anyone. From the sounds of things, nothing special is recommended other than just being aware, and prepared.
Thanks for all the comments guys

:thumbsup:
“The virtue lies In the struggle, not the prize”
Richard Monckton Milnes

Mark Trabakino
[email protected]
Stormville, New York

Offline bfrbmj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
Trab-  According to the CT DEP, the cat or cats are probably released pets.  They probably still have their collars on.  So unless you have some kitty chow on you, you will be OK.  Just kidding- I have not seen a mt lion, but do know of at least a half dozen sightings in CT by people I know.  One of my friends who is an avid hunter saw one 20 years ago or so.  That is the only one who I can trust completely.  The rest of the people that I know  may have seen one, or a bobcat, deer or dog.  I do think they may be around or passing through but  I would not worry about the mt lions- in fact, I am more concerned with running into a momma moose up here in N. CT.  I would agree that there are many other things to be concerned with before mt lions.
Brian
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target

Offline Tom-Wisconsin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »
My co-worker just saw one Thursday night on the way home from work near Rhinelander, WI.
"A clean kill or no kill, Lord
Such is my heart's desire
Give me the skill to make it so
Or let me hold my fire"
Timothy D. Cook
40# Indian Archery Recurve 1965
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©