3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: jeffery archery?  (Read 509 times)

Offline bayhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
jeffery archery?
« on: June 26, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
anybody have any experience with them? they are very responably priced so i was wondering how do they shot how smooth are they how quiet are they etc.
Thanks

Offline C Kerley

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: jeffery archery?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
There's a shop here in SW Missouri that carries them.  I was pretty impressed with the bow's looks/feel, but I didn't get to shoot it.  

Owen Jeffery has quite a decorated history in bow building and he's been around forever.  You'll find LOTS of info on him right here.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
I believe Jeffery Archery used to build bows for Dan Quillian Archery Traditions like the Longhunter,Canebrake and a few other models.Every one of DQ bows I've had were great shooting bows.

Offline hawk4570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 04:15:00 PM »
I had a Recurve Classic that shoot very well. I have heard their service may be in ?
bill browning

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
I have one of the Royal Hunter Recurves. You would be hard pressed to find a better shooting recurve for the price.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
I have several and they are great bows for the money.  Mr. Owen Jeffery is way up in years now and I don't think is building much if at all anymore.  His son, Tom, runs a very respected modern archery shop in Columbia, SC now.  Not sure the Jeffery traditional bow line will make it.  Would love to see it continue.  Mr. Owen was my first exposure to trad archery and I still enjoy talking to him when I get by the shop.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »

Killdeer   :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
I have a Jeffery's td and it is a great bow. Good solid shooter and very forgiving. Alot of bang for the buck!
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »
Fine Fine recurves.I hear they got some "new" stuff in the works.RC

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
I have a bow called The Canoochi Warrior sold to me by Earnest Gilbert in Savannah back in the 80s. I found out later it was built by Jeffery's Archery. I still have it. It is a 58" 3 piece recurve, black limbs and actionwood riser.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowhuntah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 12:39:00 AM »
I have a 52" Mity Mag and absolutely love it! Although I tried to order some of the arrow rests and strike plates from the website and I never recieved them or any kind of contact about the order whatsoever? I had to eventualy file a claim, which is a shame because I really like the one that came with the bow.
Everybody loves archery... some just haven't tried it yet.

Offline elk nailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 07:17:00 AM »
I was in Columbia last Feb. and went to the Jeffery shop. My wife and I got a real nice tour of the bow building facility. Tom showed us his complete line of bow that were in process. It was very impressive. If you are ever in or near Columbia SC. you should stop in and see them.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 07:41:00 AM »
I have several Archery Traditions (Dan Quillian) bows that were made for Dan by Jeffrey. Dan and Owen were friends for many years. Dan used some other bowyers as well, but only because Tom and Owen couldn't build enough bows to keep him supplied.

When Dan lost his foot to diabetes and a hospital staph infection, the Jeffreys made him a hunting foot from flexible bow limb material that looked like a dinosaur's foot. Dan said the springiness of the bow limbs made it much easier to walk in the woods.

Good people, good bows.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 08:27:00 AM »
Jeffery Archery is my "home" archery shop.  I remember when I first went into their shop... I was like 10 years old or so and just got a "real" compound for the first time.  I needed to have pins put on.  Mr. Owen bolted them on held it up came to full draw once and let it back down.  He made one adjustment to the newly installed pins and said that should be on, now lets get you some arrows.  Sure enough I never had to adjust the pins. (I always went over to the "wooden bows" when I was a kid.  Should have figured it our before '05)

Now lets fast forward to 6 weeks ago. I stop by after work to get some arrows for my new whispersick... I chat with Mr. Owen since he was up and looking to be in better health.  I asked if he was going to be able to hunt this year?  I got a "HELL YES!  I'm going to be in the woods this year.  I don't give a damn what the Dr. says."  He's 85 or 86 and a trip.

Shot the LongHunter a few weeks ago.  Tom put a string one one he had and said "go shoot it."  I came back about 20 min. later to Tom smiling.  I guess I was too because all he said was "smooth aint' it?" It is the only longbow I have ever shot and I will be buying one soon.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
Great bows. I had a Royal Mag Hunter recurve before I got into longbows..

Sat the booth at the SC Outdoor show a few years ago right next to Jeffery's booth and talked for a few hours with Owen Jeffery.He talked about flying all over the world, such as Russia,for Fred Bear when he worked for him many years ago. He still hunts hogs alot,seems his favorite game.Lots of great stories....
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline bayhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
i emailed them for a catlog request a few months ago and have never gotten a reply.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
I would look up the phone number to the shop, call them and ask to speak to Tom.  He's a straight up guy and should help you get your questions answered. I think their ad in TBM still has the old address so I just don't know how much attention they might be paying to website etc.

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
The first "Real" Trad bow I bought was a Jeffery Royal Hunter. I remember talking to both Owen and Tom while in the process of choosing a bow. After talking to them for a few minutes, it was like talking to an old friend! I hunted all over the place with the Jeffery I had and loved it! I wish I still had it and I'm always looking for a Jeffery bow in the classifieds...
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline Mint Hill Mule

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, Owen designed all of the Bear bows in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Not sure about the current production bows at Jeffrey Archery. He is truly a legend.

Offline bayhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »
if someone could provide some contact info for them that would be awsome Thanks Matt  :wavey:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©