3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The BEST, lightweight, under $100 rainjacket??  (Read 350 times)

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
The BEST, lightweight, under $100 rainjacket??
« on: June 26, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
The best LIGHTWEIGHT rain jacket?

Think elk hunting. Think having to carry this thing in a pack, a lot of the time climbing mountains.

Can be something other than camo- Black. Green. Brown.

I would rate light weight over quiet.

Venting over breathable fabric.

Should be reasonably made to withstand some bush whacking.

Thanks

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The BEST, lightweight, under $100 rainjacket??
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
After elk hunting for alot of years in colorado I have come to the conclusion its best to buy the 3 dollar rain ponchos and have a few of them with you. I have tried several different brands of rain gear and find nothing that is truly rainproof that it isnt derived from rubber. Ihave tried high dollar stuff and it wasnt better than the cheap stuff and nothing is as light as a plastic poncho. If it is raining real hard you shouldnt be poking holes in elk anyway as recovery becomes almost impossible in the vasness of elk country. Just my humble opinion,Don.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
nope, not for under a hunnerd buck$, 'cause imo gore-tex and rain just go together, and gore-tex just ain't cheap.  i always hated noisy plastic rain gear and that clammy feeling.

i use a cabela's made-in-china mt-50 gore-tex 'quiet pack' rain jacket from cabelas.  it has an attached hood, zipper up the front and brass snap buttons to close off the zipper flap.  it works just fine, allows for good inside air circulation (this is very important!), keeps me good 'n' dry in a down pour, and is quite lightweight.  however, after two years of rather light use, the female part of the snap buttons have all fallen off ... just not well installed.  

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
might want to look at frog toggs,  whole set is around 65 bucks. Not super quiet but very light and pretty durable.  Pretty sure it is made of tyvek,  that stuff they wrap houses with.  I bought a set to go bear hunting with this spring and they work.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
Yes look at frog toggs cabelas has them on sale all the time for $29.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Just picked up a nice camo rain jacket from Bass Pro Shop for about $ 30.00.  It's very light.  It's made of urethane coated nylon.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
the very last urethane coated nylon 'rain jacket' i had was a peter storm - oh yeah, it was totally waterproof ... and noisy, and with tons of perspiration soaking me from the inside out.  never again.  super soft, 'breathable' rain gear is the ONLY way to go, FOR ME!  this is just one of those things more than worth the money and not worth skimping on.  imho.  ymmv.  ;)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
cabelas dryplus it has treated me very well, lasted a long time, still is... and quiet and breathable.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
Brief occasional showers or extended soaking rains?

Makes a difference.

Offline USAFdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 12:29:00 AM »
Always had good luck with Frogg Toggs. From Arizona to Alaska drizzle to downpour they've kept me dry. After a few washings and running thru the brush they'll fuzz up and get fairly quiet. Only a pound pants and top reasonably packable and as said above, only $65.

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 01:41:00 AM »
from personal experience, I either use cabelas mt-50 rain gear or army surplus goretex raingear.

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 01:41:00 AM »
Garbage bag .. 18 to a box
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 01:47:00 AM »
If you really only wanted to spend 100 Bucks I would buy the Marmot PreCip ( 14 ounces as advertised on REI).  I have owned one since 1996 when i did my first long trip to Bosnia,  I have since carried the same jacket and pants around half of Europe and the Middle East, not to mention its my go to jacket for backpacking and back country trips ( fishing and hunting).  Some of you are saying, Middle East !  Rain ?   oh yeah man, it can come down and it can rain for days.   I believe it made Backpacker Magazines Editors choice award.  There are plenty of reviews on the internet, some good and some bad.   Additionally you can purchase matching pants (12 ounces) for approximately $90

Frog Toggs are pretty darn good also and can be found very inexpensively at times.  

A couple fo thought i would like to leave you with.  Buying a Jacket made to protect you from the elements, a rain jacket can be a decision that can save you from hours of discomfort and potentially save your life.  That might sound drastic but is true.  If i really could only spend 100 Bucks on my rain jacket i would probably buy the Marmot.  BUT, i would much rather save and work a little overtime, take my lunch to work, skip eating out for a month or two, or three, to buy a higher quality piece of rain gear.  Thats easy for me to say cause its not my money being spent.  

Kuiu, Sitka Gear, Arc'teryx  and many others, to name a few, have developed outerwear to protect us more effectively.  These jacket are tougher, more water repellent, and last many more years than there less expensive counterparts.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 06:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by moththerlode:
Garbage bag .. 18 to a box
:laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:

Offline bfrbmj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
I agree with Jack about the Marmot precip.  It is not the most rugged, but is relatively cheap.  I have used it for backpacking quite a bit.  Not made for bushwacking but good for trail use.  Garbage pack definitely for a pack cover.
Brian
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
I have had a few friends with Cabelas Space Rain. Quite waterproof, but not real tough.
I wore Team Realtree's Rubline Paclite Goretex jkt in Southeast last fall. Rained every day, all day, kept me totally dry. Bought the jkt. for $80 (regular price is around $175) on camofire.
Grunden's Petras series will keep you totally dry, but doesn't breathe well.
I agree with Jack G., if you have to save for a extra month or two it's worth it for good raingear.

chris <><

Offline skilonbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
I lie to wait for the specials from golite and grab there raincoat last a rally long time for hiking just not as quiet for hunting so i put a shirt over it. I also found at basspro a mad dog jacket for under $100 that is light and comfortable.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
Peter Storm

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
I would steer clear of the Frogg Toggs. I have a camo set and unless they have changed them this year it is very loud fabric and I'd say very difficult to get drawn on a deer unless it was very windy.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline bowgy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
I bought the frogs togs last year.  I wouldn't hunt in it if I wasn't sitting still it's  too noisy.  The pants and jacket in the stuff bag measure 13"x8"  I found it to be way too big for my daypack.  It fits but really fills it up.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©