3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ferr-L-Tite Cool Flex.......  (Read 319 times)

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ferr-L-Tite Cool Flex.......
« on: June 28, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
Has any tried this, it is a hot melt that melts at a low temp and is made for carbons....How do you like it?

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Glue+Adhesives+Point++Ferr-L-Tite+Cool+Flex_c59_s64_p0_i4191-01_product.html
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ferr-L-Tite Cool Flex.......
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »
I'm wondering if it will work with aluminum arrows? Seems it should.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
My concern would be shooting into foam.  The arrow stop with resistance that creates heat.  I would think you'd leave a lot of inserts and points in targets.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
I've used low temp hot melt for years with carbons, aluminum and wood..

This one and even some sticks from the craft store in a pinch...  http://www.3riversarchery.com/Glue+Adhesives+Point++Hot+Melt+Arrow_c59_s64_p0_i5491_product.html
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
I've lost more points than I can count with the regular FerLTite and gave up on it years ago.  I now use the standard hot melt glue sticks for the guns and have had great results so far.  Sorry that doesn't answer your question about the new blue stuff.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
I have used the COOL Flex and I found it to be OUTSTANDING!  I have used JB weld, and the original FerLTite, and I cannot recommend either.  But, I will recommend the Cool Flex.

I use Gold Tips.  When I called the FerLTite company, the gent I talked to suggested I use the Cool Flex when "experimenting" (trying to find the arrow length / insert weight you need).  Installation, removal and reinstalling =of the insert is a snap!  Once you've found the arrow length/insert weight you like, he then suggested I use the Pine Ride Archery Products "Instant Arrow Glue" on your insert.  (I call it SuperGlue.)  The Instant Arrow Glue WILL NOT allow the insert to come out (at least that is what I have found to be true).

Saying all that, I no longer go the route of using Sueprglue, and just stay with the Cool Flex.  I find it easy to use, and convenient (I can replace the inserts with very little effort if needed (under heat of course).   But, of course, the best part is my arrows stay together, even on a ToughMan course (OUCH!!!).  

Regards!
David

P.S.  I did hit a log on the Roanoke S.T.A.R. Toughman course, and the insert did come about 1/4", but I was able to put it back into the arrow.  It hasn't come apart since... and I use that arrow daily!   I have hit trees, I pull arrows out of old tough Mckenzie targets, the easy Reinhart targets and some not so friendly hard rock foam targets.

NOTE:  I use to use the Saunders target/field points ... which are very smooth, tapered and go deep into a target.  The bad part about the Saunder point is when they stick... the stick hard.  It makes more work for the insert "hold".
Now, I use the 3 Rivers filed points (    http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=CF511X    )
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
Like many I have found the low temp hot melts a great option for carbons.  It's about all I use on my personal arrows anymore.

We carry two styles, the new Cool Flex and AMG's Super 735.  Good stuff.

Link : "Points and More" at Braveheart Archery
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
Thank you for the info guys i think i will give it a try. One of the things i never liked about carbons is i could not line up my broadheads like i like to do. Sounds like this will solve that. Thanks again.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »
wtpops,

Yes, this will solve your concern (and yes, I had the same concern about broadheads).

Regards!
David
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
Is it safe for pickup trucks in the Alabama summer?  If I use it and then go hog hunting, in a truck with no A/C, will my points stay in my arrows?  I have an old Bear Bear Cat take down, I keep it and a few arrows behind the seat in a piece of blanket.  If I lock my truck up, it gets really hot, will my points start shifting and moving?  Bill

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 01:12:00 AM »
If it got hot enough in the truck to melt the glue i would be more concerned about the bow than the glue
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 01:49:00 AM »
Good one Rick.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 04:12:00 AM »
Ever since I read this thread a week or so ago, knowing that this is made for carbons. I wanted to test it out on some POC arrows. I put this on 2 of my practice arrows and marked the shaft with black tape. I have shot these 2 arrows probably 200 times or so over the last week into a layered foam target and a bag target that is stuffed with burlap and cotton t shirts, I have even shot a couple into my 6' wooden fence.

I have not observed any loosening or points coming off of my wood poc arrows. I was even able to pull it out of the fence. It was mid 90's here for weather over the last week as temperature.

Wonder how it does in the cold weather?

Has anyone else tried this on wood arrows?

James
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline fivebears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 06:58:00 AM »
I've been using it on the last dozen GT arrows I made and I am really impressed with it.I have had the point come out about a 1/4" after hitting something hard but I haven't lost any and that's what matters.My backstop is 3/4" stall mats that really grab an arrow when you hit it and I've had no problems with the point coming out.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by jamesh76:
Ever since I read this thread a week or so ago, knowing that this is made for carbons. I wanted to test it out on some POC arrows. I put this on 2 of my practice arrows and marked the shaft with black tape. I have shot these 2 arrows probably 200 times or so over the last week into a layered foam target and a bag target that is stuffed with burlap and cotton t shirts, I have even shot a couple into my 6' wooden fence.

I have used the AMG low temp for a couple years on woodies and it works just fine.  Unlike the original Ferr-L-Tite it does not get brittle and seems to work better in cold temps than Ferr-l-Tite does.
I have not observed any loosening or points coming off of my wood poc arrows. I was even able to pull it out of the fence. It was mid 90's here for weather over the last week as temperature.

Wonder how it does in the cold weather?

Has anyone else tried this on wood arrows?

James
I've used it on woodies for a couple years (the AMG version) with excellent results.  The low temp versions don't seem to get brittle in very cold temps like original Ferr-L-Tite does.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »
I haven't tried the new cool flex because I was hesitant to order some if it turned out to be a worse glue than the original version. I have lost more points with the original Ferr-L-Tite then I can count. My latest go to glue has been Insert Iron. This stuff is as strong as epoxy and it is heat reversible.
James Kerr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©