3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ere Kitty, Kitty, Kitty  (Read 3055 times)

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ere Kitty, Kitty, Kitty
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2006, 02:25:00 PM »
I'm here to tell ya that's one monster cat!!! Congrats Walt!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

Now comon with the story already!
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline flungonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2006, 03:59:00 PM »
Wow, WoW WoW, That looks like it would make a beautiful full mount. Boone & Crocket. Can you tell how old it was? Whats the weight?
   Good kity. congrats

Offline Hunter John

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2006, 04:02:00 PM »
Nice job Walt,that is a beautiful animal for sure,What kind of hounds do you use?
Thanks for sharing

john
I am a man
and I can change
if I have to
I guess.

Offline Pasty Face

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2006, 04:19:00 PM »
WOW

nice work

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2006, 04:21:00 PM »
Outstanding kitty!!!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2006, 04:50:00 PM »
Whoa, Walt that's  a pretty big looking cat to this eastern boy.  Can't wait to hear the story...

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline themonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2006, 05:16:00 PM »
good lord!   :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:
Don't deal with me, I stole from the St Jude's Auction.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2006, 05:17:00 PM »
Very well done Walt,Look at the head on that dude he is huge.  :thumbsup:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2006, 05:21:00 PM »
Shoot! That cat looks like it's been eating Californians for  years !!  :eek:    :scared:    :scared:    :eek:  

Killdeer  :notworthy:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Brent Rudolph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2006, 07:04:00 PM »
Walt, hear from Mark you had to take Susan clothes shopping..........feeling a little guilty about your taxidermy bill er'ya? My God Walt, you done us proud. Fine cat. Doug, Where is Tom to haul the cat when you need him?

Brent
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2006, 07:35:00 PM »
You da man for tackling that kitty and getting him in the sleeper hold.  :p  

very nice my friend!

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2006, 08:38:00 PM »
Okay, here is my account of the hunt.  I had better not embellish the details to much or Lenny Brown and Randy Morin, who were with me, will jump in and make me look bad.
First off, this is only my second season of seriously hunting mountain lions so if I sound like a rookie it is because I am. 

I have been out checking for cat tracks seventeen days since December first, opening day of mountain lion chase season in Montana.  For the first few weeks the hunt consisted of hiking into the Lee Metcalf Wilderness area via draws or mountain ridges for several miles looking for fresh mountain lion tracks in the snow.  The terrain is steep mountains; there is no level ground anywhere.  When tracks are found we hike back out to the trailhead, get the other hunters who have been searching other areas, the hounds, then hike back to the tracks, the chase is then started.  This usually means before we let the hounds loose most of the group has put on between three and five miles, in the snow.  I know, most people envision the tracks being found via snowmobile or truck, not us; let’s just say I like doing it my way, or I just might not be smart enough to use those  methods. 

The second weekend out we came across a nice sized set of tracks that we figured were a couple of days old.  Normally we would not pay much attention to these tracks but the dogs kept acting as if they were fresher then we thought.  After listening to them howl for a couple of minutes we let the dogs off their leashes hoping the lion had a kill in the area and was still around, chase number one began.  A half mile later we caught up with the dogs running around in circles, having lost the scent.  After several minutes we were able to sort out the tracks and determine the lion had followed a downed tree for thirty yards then continued on up the hill giving the hounds the slip.  After a little discussion we decided to hike farther up the valley and hopefully cut the lions tracks, thus saving us some distance.  Wrong decision, we found the tracks half a mile directly up the hill from where we left them.  Next we decided to follow the tracks with the dogs leashed to see where it would take us.  To bring a long chase short, we turned back to the trucks a couple of miles later.  End of chase number one.

After two weeks the hunting start time was moved up to four a.m. so I could check out a favorite draw before other hunters.  Also, instead of waiting for the weekends for the other hunters it was decided to hunt everyday the conditions would allow (It has been a bad winter for a ski resort, the slopes were late opening because of the lack of snow.).  Lack of snow had allowed the deer, elk, and Big Horns to remain high on the mountains out of their normal winter grounds.  This brings up rule number one when hunting mountain lions; mountain lions are where the food is.  That rule is applicable to most hunting.  The weekday hunt usually consisted of me getting up at 4 a.m. running my favorite draw then meeting John (my hounds hunting friend) at the trail head at six, then hunting another area before John had to be at work.  On the days John and Lenny didn’t have to work we would all meet then check several areas.
Friday was a workday so I hit the trail alone with real good tracking conditions.  Walking up the trail I had made it a hundred and fifty yards before cutting a mountain lion track crossing the trail.

After studying the track for several minutes it was time to head back to the truck and wait for John and the dogs.  Needless to say it was a long hour till six when John was supposed to meet me.  When he hadn’t arrived at 6:20 it was time to start running him down so I headed to my house five miles away hoping to get back before other lion hunters decided to check the trail.  After several unsuccessful phone calls trying to track down John I called Lenny Brown to let him know I had found a track and was unable locate John.  It was decided that I would go back to the trailhead while Lenny would attempt to locate alternative hounds to run the track.  This is where the zoo starts:  Lenny gets hold of Randy Morin (fellow Tradgang member) who manages to get five hounds for the hunt.  Meanwhile, back at the trailhead another houndsman I know comes by to check for tracks and offers to run the trail.  So Ray (the houndsman) drove down the valley to get the dogs.  To avoid all the confusion I will just say we had thirteen hounds ready to run the lion at the trailhead by 10:30.  We went from no dogs to too many dogs in three hours; meanwhile the tracks were getting cold.  It was decided to only use eight of the dogs.
Here is a picture of some hounds getting ready for the trail.

I know a couple of Tradganger will recognize the trailhead.

More later

Walt Francis
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2006, 08:40:00 PM »
Congratulations on your well deserved lion.  It's real pretty cat.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2006, 09:03:00 PM »
Seeing that sign brings a big smile to my face!!!

This will be extra special now.....that's where Pete I,KStrapper(Tracy),and I hunted elk this year...very cool!!!

Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2006, 10:37:00 PM »
Finally around eleven six of us, Ray, Lance, Megan, Lenny, Randy, and me, set out on the trail.  The lead hound was released on the track then shortly followed by the release of five other hounds.  Two young hounds were kept on the leash for most of the hunt to learn to follow a scent trail.  Five minutes into the trail the hounds lost the scent but Lance and Ray were able to decipher the tracks and get the hounds back on the correct trail.  The trail goes up a sixty degree slope for half a mile then circles around some cliffs making us to loose most of the hard earned elevation.  Here is a picture of Randy going around the cliffs with the two young hounds.

After clearing the cliff we had to regain the lost elevation where we found Ray and Lance sorting out a lost trail.  After five minutes we determined at least two cats had come through a saddle.  The hounds were set on the largest track, with Ray following the larger track and Lance on the smaller one.  The rest of us tried to stay as high a possible, not wanting to loose any elevation.  The tracks crossed each other several time over the next mile while continually getting higher.  After a half mile one of the lions kept going level (same elevation) and the other started angling higher at a faster rate.  The hounds could be heard at times, whenever they would top over a draw.  Lance figured they were about a mile ahead of us so we kept plugging along.  A little further up the mountain the hounds howling appeared closer and Lance waited for us old folks to catch up.  While catching up to Lance the barking kept getting closer and closer, though they were a lot higher in elevation then us.  Finally, the hounds were almost directly above us, which gets me thinking we had better start angling back up the mountain to head them off, suddenly the hounds start their loin is treed bark about three hundred yards up, almost strait up, the mountain.  At this point the mountain is about sixty degrees but turn into seventy five to eighty degrees quickly and we all head up the hill, some of faster then others.  Several hundred yards up the hill we are able to see the loin treed in a small pine tree located on the point of a cliff.  We proceeded up an avalanche chute, then steep rocks, to a ledge just below the tree that held the mountain loin.  To get to the ledge we had to climb about ten feet under the treed loin, needless to say it was a great sight.  I could go on about how gorgeous the mountain lion, the view, and terrain, but I will let a couple of pictures tell the story.

While it is getting late and I will be looking for tracks in the morning so I had better get some sleep.  Hopefully I will be unable to finish the story until Monday, but if no tracks are found I will finish it tomorrow evening.

Walt Francis
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2006, 10:42:00 PM »
Oh man,Like Curt said I am smiling from ear to ear.That trail head brings back some great memories,Can't hardly wait to hear the rest.

Thanks for taking us along.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2006, 10:50:00 PM »
Curt and Tracy,
I figured you both would appreciate that picture, the next time you are in the neighborhood stop by and visit, I live five miles up the road form there.

Walt

Walt Francis

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2006, 11:05:00 PM »
GREAT cat pictures Walt!
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2006, 11:13:00 PM »
Mickey,
I have Lenny and Randy to thank for that.  The first one was taken by Randy Morin, the second by Lenny Brown, and the third by myself.  Lenny got his 35mm pitures developed today and they put these two to shame.

Walt

Walt Francis

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2006, 03:06:00 AM »
WOW that is really all I can say!!!  :clapper:
Andrew

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©