3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ere Kitty, Kitty, Kitty  (Read 3054 times)

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ere Kitty, Kitty, Kitty
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2006, 08:42:00 AM »
HOLY CANNOLLI!!! YOU ARE THE MAN CONGRATS!!!

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2006, 09:28:00 AM »
That Randy Morin is quickly becoming a legend...as an author (enjoyed his piece on bear hunting in the latest TBM) and as a photographer too! Good on ya Randy    :thumbsup:      :clapper:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2006, 10:11:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:    :notworthy:  Speechless.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2006, 10:18:00 AM »
man!....  :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2006, 11:03:00 AM »
Thanks Mickey, you are too kind good sir.  Needless to say you are a legend to me and a great example to follow.  You have had a very positive influence over me these last few years, over the internet no less.  Atleast theres one good thing about computers.

Randy.

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2006, 11:09:00 AM »
Where's Robin (Roughcountry) Severe?  I was thinking about him when this was all said and done.  He'll be around I bet.  

Hey Robin!

:wavey:    :wavey:    :thumbsup:

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2006, 11:18:00 AM »
I think Robin's gone huntin'...should be some more good stories comin'!
Man..what a cat!
Killdeer  :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2006, 11:40:00 AM »
Okay, on with the tale.  After finally getting on the snow covered ledge everybody started taking pictures, with Randy also taking some video of the mountain lion.  I hadn’t hunted with anybody taking video since getting my mountain goat in 1994 and had forgotten how thrilling it is to relive the experience on video (note to myself BUY A VIDEO CAMERA).  I only managed to take a couple of dozen pictures myself but most of them were lousy, having taken them into the sun.  I decided it was time to get ready for the shot and proceeded to string up Pigger, my 63# snakey Osage selfbow.

With Pigger strung I removed the Great Northern strap on quiver, flexed the limbs several times, and then removed a 675 grain hex pine shaft tipped with a 190gr Grizzly from the quiver.  I was ready; the others finished taking pictures and leashed the dogs.  For those of you who haven’t hunted mountain lions it’s hard to describe the conflicting feelings that were rushing through my head.  In the tree, I feel, was one of the most noble and beautiful animals there is, anywhere.  However, there sat one of the most efficient killers of the critters I love to hunt, elk, deer, and big horn.  This particular lion hunting unit was formed due to decreasing survival rates of the big horn sheep seven (?) years back, leading to the loss of our big horn season.  The area biologist increased the lion quota resulting in an increased big horn survival rate.  According to the biologist current numbers are almost back up to target levels, which should result in restoring the big horn season in two years.

I can honestly say it would have been possible to walk away without shooting the mountain lion with little if any regret.  However, I had been through this argument with myself numerous times with the same result, take the shot.

Walt Francis
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2006, 11:53:00 AM »
Aww man, now I am even more impressed (Like I needed to be MORE impressed). You shot that monster cat with that squiggly osage bow? You ARE da man!   :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:  

"For those of you who haven’t hunted mountain lions it’s hard to describe the conflicting feelings that were rushing through my head. In the tree, I feel, was one of the most noble and beautiful animals there is, anywhere. However, there sat one of the most efficient killers of the critters I love to hunt....I can honestly say it would have been possible to walk away without shooting the mountain lion with little if any regret. However, I had been through this argument with myself numerous times with the same result, take the shot"...Walt Francis

Walt I have never heard it put more succinctly that that and anyone who has stood below a ponderosa pine looking up into the eyes of the supreme predator on this continent surely understands.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2006, 12:17:00 PM »
Walt,Great story and awsome pictures.Just seeing the pictures makes me want head back to Montana right now.

Looking forward to meeting you next time we are up there.Nice looking bow too.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2006, 01:14:00 PM »
Beautiful cat...sounds like a great hunt, Walt!! Congratulations. Awe inspring pictures.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2006, 01:32:00 PM »
With the hounds tethered the mountain lion started to get nervous and appeared ready to jump from the tree.  I quickly concentrated on the spot chosen earlier, drew, and released.  The arrow flew eight yards striking lion an inch or two high.  The lion exploded up the tree, Lance and Ray both thought I had missed and told me to shoot again.  As another arrow was knocked the lion was quickly descending the tree, I picked a spot and the arrow was in flight, going a little high and to the right, out into the canyon below, or so I thought.  The lion exploded strait down the avalanche chute disappearing into trees a hundred yards lower.  Following fifty yards behind were a string of hounds, Lance, Ray, Megan, Randy, Lenny, and myself.  The first three had a good lead on Randy, Lenny, and me because we were storing cameras and strapping the quiver back onto my bow.  At the base of the tree I found the second arrow shaft missing the front eight inches and saw the first arrow broken, lying in the tree branches.  I was confident the lion was fatally hit.  However, I could still hear the hounds down the mountain; I grabbed the second arrow, put it into my quiver, and headed down the avalanche chute.  I made it about five steps before starting to slide and managed a semi controlled descent on my butt for another eighty yards before regaining my feet.  A twisted knee and pulled groin later I caught up with Randy and Lenny.  The hounds had stopped howling for the most part as the three of us tried to catch the others.

Down the hill Ray and Lance start yelling that they had lost the lion and we had better hurry up.  At this point I am having trouble believing the lion had made it this far and start replaying the shot sequence over and over in my mind while continuing down the hill.  Doubt started to creep in: maybe what I saw really didn’t happen it would not be the first time.  When we get to the others I am thinking what the he** is everybody standing around for, lets get the cat.  Suddenly, Lenny exclaims good joke, after seeing the lion behind a tree and everybody starts laughing.  For myself, I felt a range of emotions including exhilaration, relief, satisfaction, and sorrow.  Pictures were taken while everybody recalled their version of the shot sequence.  Lance, Ray, and Megan all thought I had missed with the first arrow and made a good shot with the second arrow.  Lenny and Randy thought the first arrow was good but had very little penetration while I believed it was both good and had good penetration.  Lenny and I thought the second arrow had missed and Randy thought it had hit the lion but wasn’t sure where.  Everyone’s version might have been influenced by the sun being directly in their eyes; that is my excuse and I’m sticking to it.  Checking the lion it was determined the first arrow had hit where I thought about an inch ad a half high and angling up, going through the near lung and grazing the top of the second lung.  Later that evening I found six inches of arrow shaft (two pieces three inches long) in the lungs.  The second arrow hit mid body, just below the spine; Randy found the broadhead from the second arrow with the broken shaft half way between the cliffs and the lion.  My personal belief is the first broadhead is stuck in the tree, and I will verify that theory next spring during bear season, if we don’t tree another lion in that area later this season.  Last year two mountain lions were taken in that same set of cliffs.  

Next, Lance and I started the drag down the hill which for the most part was controlling the descent.  That is when he let me know earlier he had serious doubts about ability of a traditional bow to take a mountain lion.  It was the first time he had seen a selfbow and it was a “recurve" as far as he knew.    

I have had a numerous questions regarding the size of the mountain lion and my answer remains the same: He is big, but might look bigger in the pictures then he really is, or he could look smaller.  DOES IT REALLY MATTER?  

Mickey:  Pigger in now offically retired and will have a place next to the  mountain lion when the full body mount is finished.

Tracy:  You are welcome to visit anytime.

Walt Francis
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2006, 01:52:00 PM »
Good stuff Walt. Good stuff.

Once again wish I were there to pat you on the back personally, but you'll just have to feel it thru your screen I guess. Congrats.

Do me a favor, if you've the mind to. Put this into a Word file and submit it to Primitive Archer.If you need help, give me a shout.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2006, 02:14:00 PM »
Walt,

I want to go lion hunting in the WORST way.  I showed this to my wife and she was just speechless from the beauty your pictures of the hunt showed.  Great job!

Got any pointers for a guy looking for a good lion hunt, who doesn't LIVE in lion country?

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2006, 02:18:00 PM »
"(note to myself BUY A VIDEO CAMERA)"

Note to Walt:  Buy a video camera BEFORE you come to Alaska this May!  ; ^ )

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2006, 02:26:00 PM »
Mickey,
I might do that.  Pigger is a special bow and has a lot of special memories, four deer, and a mountain lion in the last two years.  She was built and named in memory of my chocolate lab Anna, (she died in the spring of 2005) who had a crooked leg from jumping out of my truck when she was a pup.  

Walt Francis

Walt Francis

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2006, 02:35:00 PM »
Walt, You and Randy both are on the top of my "visit list" next time I'm in MT.....I very much look forward to meeting both of you!!

Awesome hunt,awesome pix,awesome folks!!

My hat's off to all involved in a great hunt in what I personally know is a stunningly beautiful area of the world.Someday,I want to do the same.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2006, 02:38:00 PM »
Nice Job with the story Walt.  I've got a big-ol smile on my face right now.  It was nice to share that day with you and Lenny and those awesome houndsman/women.  What a day.  I'll be lookin in to getting my footage transferred to DVD for you maybe this week.

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2006, 03:16:00 PM »
That was almost as good as hearing it in person Walt!! Great story and congrats again!!

Oh yea, you gotta bring that DVD Randy is making over next time ya come. Hey Randy  :wavey:
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2006, 03:32:00 PM »
Steve: I will call you later this week.

Curt: You are welcome anytime.

Randy:  Thanks for being there and taking the video, it is awesome.  Lenny and I were talking yesterday and I have to agree with him "it was one of the most memorable days I ever spent in the field".  Megan sure put me to shame going up those mountains!

My one regret after looking through all my pictures is there are no pictures of Lance, Megan, Ray, and the hounds, a bad oversight on my part.

Walt Francis

Walt Francis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©