3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: FF on Longbows  (Read 194 times)

Offline matts2

• Trad Bowhunter
FF on Longbows
« on: June 29, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
I am wanting to try Fast Flight string on one of my longbows and need some advice.  I have flemish B50 on everything now and want to experiment with FF and see the difference in shooting and feel, mainly feel.  The bow I am wanting to experiment with is a 45# 64" NTN R/D.  What string should I use and can I just flemish twist it like normal.  I do understand I will have to pad it, I think.

Thanks
Matt

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: FF on Longbows
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
First thing you need to do is check with the manufacturer or bowyer to see if your bow is fast flight compatable. If so, I would contact one of the string makers on this site and visit with them about your needs. You will find many responses on what string to use. Everyone has their favorite. I ersonally like a flemish string. It looks more natural than an endless loop does. Good luck.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline matts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
The bowyer is me on this one.  He doesn't know much, LOL.
Matt

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
Did you overlay the tips with a material like phenolic or micarta?  If you did, did you sand through it when making the string grooves on the back of the bow?  

If you did overlay it with one of those  materials and did not sand through it, you should be ok.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
Matt, I would try something like D-97, varily easy to get from the suppliers here.

For your weight, I would try 10 strand, you could go lighter, like 8, but will need to reinforce the loops with extra strands.

Yes you can use a flemish or endless. Your choice!  Need any help, just Holler

Offline matts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
The tips are overlaid.  Here is a pic of one of the tips.  The black layer is fiberglass and isn't sanded thru.

Matt

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
Matt,

I have 8 strand FF on all three of my longbows.  I flemish twisted 8125 for two of them and recently did an 8 strand Dyna 10 for a new 60#@28 R/D.  I pad my loops to 14 or 16.  The biggest issue is what serving to use to get proper arrow nock fit and that is a personal thing.

From my very limited experience, either of the FF materials I use are significantly easier to twist than B50.  In fact, I hope I never need to twist another B50 - ever.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
I know guys who shoot fast flight material on their selfbows. Those tips look like they will handle anything just build up the loops and go with a 6 or 8 strand. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
I would go with 10-12 strands of Dynaflight97.  It doesn't "have" to be padded, but I pad most of mine.  Twist it up just like you do your b50 strings.  What you should see is less string stretch, less hand shock and 8-10 fps faster.  May even be a little quieter due to the decrease in vibration.  You will probably need a little stiffer spine arrow.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
You do not need tip overlays or other material to use fast flight on longbows , its recurves that have the problem due to angle of the pressure going into the end of the string groove rather than around the back of the bow .
We have been using fast flight here at Raptor Archery for years on selfbows and composite longbows both with and without tip overlays for years.

Offline matts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
Thanks for the help gents.  I ordered some D97 and excited to see what differences there are.
Matt

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
At that weight I would make a padded loop 6 strand. They are faster and quieter than heavier strings. (of course I buy mine from SBD!)

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »
I changed from a B50 to a 3bundle Astro flight string a while back on my Bama Royal longbow it did make quite a differance as far as speed and performance! you should like it for sure!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©