3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Three Strap Back Quiver Users  (Read 285 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Three Strap Back Quiver Users
« on: June 29, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »
If you used a three point back quiver while hunting or stumping please pass along any tips you guys and gals have. I am making one and am nearly finished. I'm talking about the ones that have a second strap that goes from the quiver base/bottom to a ring on the main strap to help keep it secured. Of the three back designs I've used and researched this one works best for my use.

I repaired a 3pt quiver a while back and liked the way it fit and felt. I made one to use but in my lack of knowledge I made it too short so the arrows stick up too high above my head. Great for stumpin', but not for hunting.

If you use one regularly I'd like to read your opinions of how it has worked for you.

I read the TBM article from the last issue about back quivers but think the three strap is better for me. Mine will have quick snaps for each strap that connects to the ring.

I am making mine smaller in diameter to hold about 6-8 arrows efficiently.

I'll post some photos when I'm finished.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Bud
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Three Strap Back Quiver Users
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
I have one and I wish the shoulder strap was a bit wider like 2" rather than the 3/4" that it is. I also fount that the clip ring was a bit high on the chest closer to the peck line(it helps keeping the quiver up on the shoulder).And the side strap has to be adjustable. Please post pics when your done.Good luck
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
Nearly finished.

I might do some tooling on the top part where the strap connects to the quiver body. I'll use a natural oil finish.

Preliminary fit check shows arrows are held totally immobile and silent. I was able to put a doz in easily.

Now to finish and start the breaking in process.

Sorry for the blurry photos.

I'd still like to hear from three point strap users from a hunting viewpoint situation.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
TTT

One more try for response from 3pt users.

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
As I'm sure you saw over on the other thread, I'm not a three point user (yet), but just wanted to say "nice job" on this one.  Looks great and I'd be proud to carry one like that.

Offline Davesea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 11:59:00 PM »
If you look at the mid century books on archery most of them used three point back quiver.  I am using a single strap back quiver and am addicted to it.  Single strap allows you to get through the brush without getting caught up by rotating it under arm.  Mine is very basic but is sure works great.
"Anyone can make a bow, but it takes skill and experience to make an arrow"  ISHI

Offline jarhead_hunter

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 01:54:00 AM »
Nice work Bud.

I really like mine and I have used for 40+ years to hunt in the mountains of CO, NM, AZ, UT and NV.

A good supply of arrows was always available and I put the sharpened Razorheads in a piece of closed cell foam to keep them sharp.

A couple of bandana's were used to stuff in the top to keep the arrows from rattling.

I never really liked bow quivers very much.

Semper Fi.

Charles.
Semper Fidelis
1st Mar Div RVN 1968-1970
1st MAW RVN 1966-1967

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Davesea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
Bud,
Looks great.  I like the top part where the strap meets the quiver.  Seems like that would help guide the arrow(s) back into the quiver?

When hunting with a three point, how do you get through brush so he arrows don't get caught up?

Dave
"Anyone can make a bow, but it takes skill and experience to make an arrow"  ISHI

Offline jarhead_hunter

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
My quiver lets the arrows ride low enough so the arrows are lower than my head.

Never been a problem for me.

Charles.
Semper Fidelis
1st MAW RVN 1966-1967

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by jarhead_hunter:
My quiver lets the arrows ride low enough so the arrows are lower than my head.

Never been a problem for me.

Charles.
That's what I was trying for. I have not field tested it yet but that'll come.

Offline jarhead_hunter

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
If the bottom of the quiver is centered on your kidney, and the top is level with or slightly below your shoulder, you should be OK.

I don't make quivers, that is how mine fits me.

Charles.
Semper Fidelis
1st MAW RVN 1966-1967

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 07:31:00 AM »
Your quiver looks real good Pat.  I'd like to try one like it out for a day.  I have one store bought camo back quiver with 4 straps.  It puts the arrows right behind your head.  Never really liked wearin' it much.

I've made a couple with just a single strap and they have worked out pretty good.  The one is a red fox quiver.  Actually it works real good.  Just don't like wearin' a big O'fox hangin' on my back.

The other is made out of boar hide.  Nice, strong leather, pretty thin but works well.  Fits your back snugly.  I like my quiver to ride pretty high so that I can get to my arrows easily, and with a single strap I can swing it out of the way for goin' under heavy brush.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 07:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by jarhead_hunter:
If the bottom of the quiver is centered on your kidney, and the top is level with or slightly below your shoulder, you should be OK.

I don't make quivers, that is how mine fits me.

Charles.
Your quiver started this madness.    :goldtooth:  

I'm already making another one. The piece of leather I bought for the one above was big enough to get a second complete body out of it. This one will be laced instead of sewn. I'm trying for another but different strap setup also. As for crawling under brush, that's the reason for the snaps swivels; Quick release for a crawl and then back to an anchored position in a snap when back upright.

I guess there aren't alot of three point users out there but I have leaarned to like and appreiate it.

Glad I got to work on your quiver Charles. And you did over do it on the flu-flus. My daughter wil be marrying a Marine Aug 6th. I'm gonna hide the flu-flus from him.   ;)    He's quite patriotic.

My humble thanks again.

Offline jarhead_hunter

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
I figured all of your good work on my quiver deserved a reward.

So, I sent 6 flu flu's.

Very pleased with your work and skills.

Congratulations on the daughter's imminent marriage.

Hope that Marine appreciates and takes good care of her.

Happy July 4th to you, Sir.

Charles.
Semper Fidelis
1st MAW RVN 1966-1967

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
I like your design, and would be interested, should you decide to put them into production.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline T-D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
Bud let me know if you need someone to field test one of those bad boys. I would be honored to.
Resident Hog Slayer

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »
It's a lefty Todd.

I have one for you....and your short draw. I saw you with that Camelbak and decided to give you my backpack style.

We need to get up with each other and shoot.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pepper:
I like your design, and would be interested, should you decide to put them into production.
PM sent. I believe I'm built out...

Offline T-D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
Sounds like a plan. I was looking around and found a trad shoot in Black Mtn either this weekend or next can't remember. I'll drive if you're up to it.
Resident Hog Slayer

Offline GRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
herndondt, We are having our monthly Carolina Traditional Archers shoot at our Maiden NC range this Sat. starting at 9:00. If you are looking for a shoot, come and join us. More info on the CTA website.

Gerald

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©