3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Boot Recommendations  (Read 408 times)

Offline recurvericky

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Boot Recommendations
« on: June 29, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
I will be heading to Idaho this September for an elk hunt and would like to purchase a pair of light weight non-insulated hunting boots for the trip. I would love to get your input and recommendations. I would like to keep the cost under $150 if possible.
Recurvericky
Richmond, Ks

Traditionalist have more fun!

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Boot Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
Danner pronghorns, good traction, light weight, good support, water proof and right around your price range.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
I bought a pair of LL Bean Cresta hikers because the reviews were very good and the price was in my range and is very close to yours.  

That being said, boots are a very personal choice and you want to make sure that what you choose fits well and properly.
homebru

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
Ricky, Check out ranger joes website. They have some very light wieght and very tough boots on there called kiowa's and there is another pair by Nike that look decent. I don't know if they are in the style that you are looking for but they are designed to have the crap beat out of them by our boys in uniform. Hope this helps, Mike.
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »
Danner pronghorns. They won't boil your feet like some stouter boots might and for the money a pretty decent boot.

One way to prepare ankles rather than relying on stiff heavy boots to kep them together is doing range of motion exercises using a rubber tube. We use it for ice hockey and it is amazing how much stronger your ankles become. Worth it IMO and takes only a few minutes each night.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 12:01:00 AM »
I wore Pronghorns for years in the Marine Corps. They were top notch. Light breathable great traction and easy on the feet asbwe wore them for a couple days before we took them off. Wore them out checker hunting here in Nevada  I got another model of Danner now and they are very good but I wish I had gotten another set of Phorns!
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 01:54:00 AM »
Meindel Perfekt hikers from Cabelas.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
I'm presently in Maine. There's an outfit back here called Timberland. They have an outlet store I always make it a habit to visit. Last summer I bought two pair of lightweight early season boots. They are perfect for warmer weather, the pig-gigs in Texas/February; Africa, etc. Yesterday I stopped in and found they have them on sale. They have dark brown, heavyweight canvas uppers trimmed in butter-soft leather with a cushioned leather collar around the top. Approximately only seven inches high but fine for ankle support. Seven brass eyelets and a thin Vibram-like lug sole. Regular price is $130. but 70% off so the price is $38.99. I called brother Gene and he instantly bought two pairs. Excellent deal. BW

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
It's all about which boots fit ya the best... I like the    New Balance hiking boots  (but if you fit in an EE width with their sneakers, you'll need a EEEE width in their hiking boots - they're built on different lasts).

I'd also like to try the  L.L. Bean Cresta Hikers   one of these days.
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
LL Bean's Maine Hunting Shoe. That's all I wore in my elk hunting days. Rubber bottoms, leather tops, and a good removable insert.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »
As Homebru said, boots are a very personal thing.  I have lived here in Idaho, hunting, hiking and working (I'm a surveyor) in my boots.  I have tried them all, for many years believing I needed a heavy soled, ankle-supporting "mountain boot" (I tried them all - Danners, Whites, Asolo etc.) for the rough terrain that we encounter almost everywhere in this state.

After having numerous foot problems, including plantar fasciatous and corns, I now wear Russell moccasins for everything, everyday.  I also run in minimalist footwear a couple times a week to strengthen my foot tendons and muscles and keep them strong.

I have found that in rough terrain I have better balance, better traction and better overall control of my movements by using the no-heeled, no orthotic moccasin footwear.  G Fred speaks of the improved balance of no-heel shoes in his book on still hunting and I must concur.

The health of my feet has never been better and I will never go back to stiff, heavy type of footwear, but, as said earlier, it is a very individual thing and you have to find out for yourself what works best for you.  I'm just saying that "conventional wisdom" sometimes isn't as wise as some would have you believe - including podiatrists.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
I will agree that Russell Moccasin makes a good boot, but I must also say that I had to take them to a shoe repair place close to home to make them fit me better.  My measurements and their figuring didn't coincide, but for an extra $20 in repairs, I'm happy now.  I, on the other hand, wear doctor prescribed orthotics in my Safari PH's.

Actually, mine got a fresh coat of mink oil/waterproofing last night and are sitting on the deck in full sun inside of a black trash bag as I type this.  It's my own version of a solar oven.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
Check out 511 tactical boots. They are great boots and light as a feather,and extremely tough.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline BuckyT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
For cold weather, I wouldn't trade my Muck Woody Max's for anything.

Best hunting boot I've ever owned.  6yrs old now and no issues..

Still trying to find a warm weather hunting boot that is worth a flip......  Tried a pair of LaCrosse Alpha non-insulated boots...  Horrible......  Lasted not even 2yrs... Had a pair of Bass Pro something or others and they were leaking water w/in 6 months...

Had some Rocky something or others and they lasted a few years and wore out......

Guess the Mucks last longer because it isn't exactly frigid down here in Ga, so they don't get worn as much??  But I've worn the lugs down pretty smooth, so I've put some miles on them.  I've hunted with them on in 0 to -5 degree weather in Illinois and they worked great, so that's where I get my cold weather test results from.

Might try to find a pair of Herman Survivors again..  The old pair I had lasted over 10yrs..  But leather boots aren't cool anymore in the woods....LOL!

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 01:54:00 PM »
Worn Danners, Red Wing, Beans, Cabellas, & others. Pick one. Really like my Bean gumshoe tread as light, quiet, & sure. Danners are stalwarts.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Blake Fischer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
Idaho elk=good ankle support, water repellant uppers, aggressive tread, best I have found is the Kennetrek line.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
I'm with Don.  I just bought my second pair of LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoes.  They are super quiet and comfy to walk a long ways in, downfall is slippery tred in the mud/snow, and lack of ankle support.....but I am an ice hockey player so that does not bother me any :-)

Insulated Danner proghorns are my backup boot.

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
I also agree with Blake the Kennetrek is a light weight rugged boot. The have a rockered sole that alows you to walk with out flexing the whole sole. You said you are looking to spend around $150.00 which Kennetreks are around $300.00. I still think the Kennetrek or any boot that is rebuildable is a better value in the end. Initial cost is more but you will be money ahead in the end. I have owned Danner imports and was lucky to get a year out of them with just average wear. They are just throw aways! I get a pair of boots feeling good and I like to have them awhile.
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline skilonbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »
I also like vasque boots for hunting in or even have tried to use more of a light boot like the hi-tec for warmer days.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »
Cabela's Outfitter Series 7" uninsulated.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©