3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: OHIO bound  (Read 447 times)

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
OHIO bound
« on: June 30, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
Through an unexpected contact, I just scored a private piece of land in Morgan county to bowhunt with NO lease fees all to myself. Just show up & hunt! Gotta' like that, right?

Anyway...its about 6 hours from my house here in Maryland and I was told I could bring a camper or tent or stay at a local motel that is in McConnell, so I think it will be a really affordable way for me to hunt Ohio.

I'd welcome any advice from some Ohio folks or folks that have hunted in or around that county. I hadn't expected to hunt out of Maryland this year because of the expense, but I don't think I can pass up takin' an old recurve to Ohio.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: OHIO bound
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
Couldn't find McConnell Ohio on the map.  What part of the state is it in?

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
McConnelsville.

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mike Gerardi:
McConnelsville.
Thats it.....sorry.

Offline Archer Fanatic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
Go south on St. RT. 78 from McConnelsville and stop and talk to ranger at Wolf Creek WMA station and he can help you. It is about 8 miles south of McConnelsville. I know you said you have private land to hunt but this could be a second option in case things go bad on the private land. There is over 100,000 acres state and federal land to hunt in that area. It is a good place to hunt.

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
Jim, congrats on the Ohio property, sounds like you still have that lucky horse shoe. How many acres?

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
Yeah Terry...didn't even think it might be horseshoe related...and yes I still have it....hmmmm

Its just under 100 acres.

Archer Fanatic, thanks, I'll put that in my notebook.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
I dunno Jim...I think 4runr and I might be of some help but we'd have to see the land in person....

:)      :)  

Congrats on getting on some land here.  Hope you find success!  To be truthful, I have only hunted here a few seasons so I am likely not of any real help.  

One thing I can offer is that squirrel season opens 3 weeks before bow deer.  If your land has squirrel hunters the deer will already be on high alert.  On the public land I have hunted here the deer wouldn't move at dawn/dusk even in early season.  I would catch them moving around noon - while the squirrel hunters were having lunch.

There's no shortage of Ohioans that like to shoot at squirrels.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
That area is home to some dandy bucks. It's straight country over that way. Good Luck!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Huntingnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
Thats an awesome area to hunt.Good luck!

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »
Hi Rainman-Some friends and I have been going to Ohio to hunt for the past several years. We have been hunting on public ground.
John

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys, I'm getting pretty pumped up.

ceme...I'll get those GPS coordinates right to you & Kenny...    :laughing:  

I'll be the only one hunting the property. Landowner claims to hear shots all around...guessing squirrel bangers...but none on their land. I might just be lucky enough to have landed a little sanctuary (hey...I can dream right?). Topo & satellite views look very promising.

What kind of weather conditions should I prepare for in the October/early November time frame? Not guessing it would be much different from MD. or any severe conditions, but I have no idea.

Is there a general expected time frame for peak rut activity in SE Ohio?

ceme...how close is that area to you & Kenny, it might rate a visit while I'm out that way?

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
Late October or early November usually have warm days and cool nights. Some areas are loaded with chiggers. Where we hunt in southern part of state we see rut activity begin in mid to late Nov., but it varies.
John

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
Thanks John. See you at the Hill.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
You will encounter some good bucks for sure and plenty of does!

Hope you have practiced you picking skills. I've been out that way more than once and heard dueling banjo's a few times.

Whatever you do, DON'T squeal like a pig!     :saywhat:

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
Smaller bucks start chasing in late October with bigger ones amping up into November.

The youth shotgun season is usually 3rd weekend of November which can get some deer moving for you from adjacent properties. Rabbit season starts 2nd weekend of November which can have the same effect.

Don't be shocked to see someone on the property if it isn't watched closely and keep your written permission with you.

All that said, I really believe you will have an excellent hunting season! I have seen more deer than I can count out that way when I lived in SE Ohio.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
Charles is "right on" with the youth gun.  I took a nice buck with a bow two years ago on that weekend.  You must wear your orange.  He was in full rut chasing doe and there was all kinds of ruckus all around me in terms of people in the woods.  

He's also "right on" with the other hunters and keeping your written permission with you.

Good advice.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
I need to correct what I said about t5he rut. I had my states mixed up. In Wayne Ntl where we hunt in Ohio rut was from late Oct to Mid Nov.
John

Offline ChopOH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2011, 12:55:00 AM »
As a bowhunter, I'm very thankful to live in Ohio.  Wish you the best of luck while visiting this fall.

Offline moose eye levi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
Second and third week of November is my most favoritest time to hunt I took my first trad buck on youth gun season  2 years ago I wa 16 and haven't really gun hunted since. Anyways that is a good time to hunt based on my observation younger bucks chasin and goin on, good bucks gettin mad at em' and pre ruttin. Bigger bucks will be in a tad later. Best of luck to you. By the way being that it is private land and I'm guessing the owner is't out a whole lot keep an eye out for people who thought the fence was on up aways/ over their ect. ect.
>>-->Levi Arnold<--<<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©