3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Share a "simple" tip on hunting/woodsmanship-  (Read 16523 times)

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Share a "simple" tip on hunting/woodsmanship-
« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
Not only consider winds when hanging and hunting stands but also the SUN ! Think about your setup and if it will be more productive morning or evening and play the sun into the eyes of the way you THINK the deer will approach the stand. Huge advantage ! Only problem is that deer seldom read the script, haha !!!
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Hard Times

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: July 08, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »
The woods I hunt are relatively thick, so I enjoy "still hunting". I like to ease through the woods with an arrow nocked in the ready position, moving 10yds to 20yds at a time,you would be suprised how many times ( especially on dark quiet days) you can have close encounters with game. One crucial tip is to never stop out in the open, always look ahead for the next tree or brush to stop behind. Many times I have made that mistake and there I am standing in the open while a deer walks within range and me with no cover. Needless to say, you're "busted" all you can do is watch the flag.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: July 08, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
I NEVER walk through the woods with an arrow nocked. Period. Recipe for disaster. However, I do still hunt with an arrow ready to nock.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: July 08, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Always carry super glue and a small roll of duct tape. you can close up a gaping chest wound, seal a nasty slice,or repair a cracked bow limb.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: July 08, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
If you are hunting for meat, shoot at the first chance you get.  There are always other things in season if its your only tag.

If you are hunting for peace of mind, Shoot the last animal you see for the season  ;)    ;)
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: July 08, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
when "sneaking" thru a fall woods that is thick with dried leaves, I sometimes use the lower tip of my longbow as another foot, trying to sound like a four legged creature and not a two legged creature.
ChuckC

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: July 08, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
when "sneaking" thru a fall woods that is thick with dried leaves, I sometimes use the lower tip of my longbow as another foot, trying to sound like a four legged creature and not a two legged creature.
ChuckC
That's pretty interesting and something I've never thought of using my bow for. Cool.

I've heard of something similar with guys riding bikes through the woods....something about the sound the tires make on the leaves that doesn't sounds "human" so animals stick around a little longer.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: July 08, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
I always keep a spare set of wool gloves and smartwool socks in my pack from Fall until the end of season, along with one of the small space blankets.  Great post Mike!!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: July 08, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
When I was in the Corps, our gunny gave us a very good tip "I don't care how good you are with that compass here at Camp Horno it will not tell you where them @#%&*^%$# rattlers are in the dark". A good bit of advice still here in the Texas Panhandle when pussyfooting around in the dark getting to "my spot".
One area I hunted once, no way before or after dark would I be caught. I don't like rattlers when I can see'um much less only when maybe I can only hear them. My 2¢
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline Blacktail101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: July 08, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
Keep your nose into the wind and if you feel it on the back of your neck you will become a starving pilgrim

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: July 08, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
The older I get who I hunt with is as important to me as what I am hunting.

(Dads) Three steps to kill a whitetail.
-Get out of the house
-Keep the wind in your face
-Keep still

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: July 08, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
Awesome stuff fellas!

Travis
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: July 08, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
Use your head its the best weapon you have  in the woods.And safety first for you and the animal.And have fun.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: July 09, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »
If you are a whitetail hunter , buy a pair of lacrosse rubber boots and wear them hunting with pants legs tucked in . 30 years ago I started wering rubber boots after watching a seminar by Doug Crabtree and it answered a lot of questions as to why I wasn't killing deer . It was those last few yards that were alluding me from killing deer. The rubber boots sealed the deal .

On your pull up rope tie a bowline with a big loop . Run the loop under the bow string then back over the top of the tip and you do not have to tie a  know every time you pull up your bow.

When selecting a tree to hang a stand always consider wind first and other things last . BUT I try to find a tree with another close in front of me so I can draw hiddena as a deer goes behind the tree .

KME sharpeners are the best sharpening system made for double edge 2 blade broadheads. SCARY SHARP !
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: July 09, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
Scout and hunt as close to home as possible. You will be surprised at the number of nice bucks that live in your neighborhood .

You literally are scouting 365 days a year if you hunt where you live and drive to work every day.

The neighbors keep me informed of what they are seeing also. I keep the garden raiders to a mininum for them and they are happy for me to take em out of the herd  :)

Plus you can keep places to hunt by doing everyday chores for the neighbors who own land , which leads to more land to hunt   :bigsmyl:
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Arkansaslongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: July 09, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
Learn to be satisfied with what you have;

Keep ALL of your equipment simple, bows,arrows,broadheads,clothing, ect,ect

Quit watching the hunting shows on tv;

Learn to hunt public land in your own state;

And as far as woodsmanship, get a GOOD compass, learn how to use it, then (as funny as it sounds)go to the woods and get lost on purpose; NOTHING will teach you better than to get lost........  :campfire:
May the sun always shine bright on your path and the wind be in your face

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: July 09, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
If you hunt public land, pattern the other hunters and use that information to let them move deer past you. I've taken several deer, including my biggest, by being in a known escape route when other hunters move into the woods. You have to be in position way early, and stay until well after the other hunters have left for lunch. Pressured deer will frequently move in the middle of the day when most hunters are having lunch and naps.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: July 08, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
TTT
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: July 08, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Moss always grows on the outside of the tree!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: July 08, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
Good night! I forgot all about this thread. Veritable land mine of information here folks!

Next tip: Carry thick wool socks to wear instead of boots on the final leg of a stalk. They will be much quieter.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©