3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Share a "simple" tip on hunting/woodsmanship-  (Read 16524 times)

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Share a "simple" tip on hunting/woodsmanship-
« Reply #160 on: July 09, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
Carry a knife every second you can.
Learn to make fire with a friction set.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: July 09, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
Carry in a Ziplock Waterproof Bag, a Wad of Dryer Lint, and a Bic Lighter. Great Fire Starter, and easy to sneak into a Pack!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Wolfshead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: July 09, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »
This is a great thread!
I actually was going to start a thread similar to this and then this was re-posted. It is amazing how the Creator works isn't it.
Being new to traditional bowhunting and hunting in general for that matter, this is a great teaching tool for me.
Thank you to all of you who have posted so far and thank you in advance for the info you are about to post.
Now get postin!
Bama Expediton Hunter Hybrid Longbow
58", 52# @ 27"
Bama Hunter Longbow
64", 45# @ 27"
"You only need sit still long enough, in some attractive spot in the woods, that all it's inhabitants may exhibit themselves to you by turns"
Henry David Thoreau

Online kstout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: July 09, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
My brother and I hunt big woods during the first part of November.  Over the years we have found if one of us shoots a big buck off a hot doe, that the other of us should be back in the same area the next morning.  Quite a few times we have taken a second big buck the next day.  The doe usually wont travel far, and it doesn't take long for a second buck to take up the chase.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: July 09, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »
Todd's Tips-
Shooting-practice with broadheads
Pratcie often and realistic as possible
When shot present's itself, let it happen, don't over think it.
Keep broadhead's scary sharp.

Hunting- First and foremost, take in the whole experiance, enjoy the whole thing, don't get wrapped up just into harvesting a deer.  
Don't hunt tree's, hunt game!  If you cann't find a good tree for stand, ground hunt.
Don't use a Tree stand without a Harness, not good to rescue a fallen buddy, been there twice.
Play the wind
If you find great sign, but seen no game, move up or down a hundred yards.
Wensel stand trick- Set up a Scout stand, then move 50 yards closer next day, then after your pattern animal, move in for the harvest.
CArry a turkey call, works to calm deer down.
Stalking on dry leaves, have a few in your hand, if deer look's in your direction, let a few drop down, will help calm the animal.
Stalking-After you stopped and looked around, stop yourself and look a few more minutes harder, how many times as you thought no game only to have a deer run off that was within 20 yards?
Pruning- Don't cut down the forest, just a few lanes, when you do, wear gloves and take the brush away 50 yards, I even put mud on the pruned limbs, do this ahead of time.
Toilet paper- use for primary purpose the marking trail.
Compass- not only for navigation, but when shoot a animal and the last spot seen take a azmith with it.  When get down follow blood, if loose it go back to tree and follow azmith.
Always carry a judo point, stumping, take shot at spot where hit animal.
Safety- Already stated harness.
Carry a compass and know how to use it.
Get a QUALITY mag/ferrous bar, for emergency fire and carry it
Take a few cotton ball's, rub vasiline into them, place them into tube or duct tape, takes spark better than anything and will burn long enough to get a fire started (4-6min.)
ALWAYS carry a quality sharp knife.
Go to Google earth or another topo place, print off several paper's. Mark your stand and how to get to it with time to be back, leave one at home and TELL someone, also I leave one in my windshield of truck with location of stand (not only if something happens, but another hunter may be able to see where I am and not ruin hunt).
Wool will save your life.
Keep a canteen of water in vehicle and blanket.
MONEY- Times are tough but when and where you can afford you will come out ahead, some item's are well worth the price. Not only for enjoyment but may well put your life on them.  At the top of the list is: Compass, Wool, safety harness, treestand, binoculars.  When you can buy products with lifetime warranty, will pay back in spades.
There are some things never, ever compromise. Arrow's, treestand and clothing!

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: July 09, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
Some of these were funny, especially the ones about what your palette can handle!

Never leave your pack on the ground, take it with you no matter what. My pack has everything I need to survive, yours should too and I never hunt without it.
The peeing form the stand thing has got me busted at least three times, one big one.
I've had some days where everything has gone wrong, forgot something, fumbled getting into stand even cut myself - some days it is safer to be out of the woods than in. Know when to pack it up for the day.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: July 09, 2013, 12:38:00 PM »
Make sure your hunting partner has a map, compass and a gps and make sure you do too.

If you are working an area where you think there should be game and you are not seeing anything you may be moving too fast. Slow down to half your pace and check the wind direction again.

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: July 09, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »
Avoid walking under Sycamore trees when it is dry.

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: July 09, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
Make sure your coveralls are all the way down before you do your business. Had a guy hop out of the truck one morning after his coffee kicked in as we were driving to stands on a private lease. Came back to the truck a few minutes later and subsequently the rest of us jumped out!!!! WHEW!!!!!!   "[dntthnk]"

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: July 09, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
Enjoy it. It's supposed to be fun and you only get so many.
Glenn

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: July 09, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
Uses for Toilet Paper
- The obvious
- Clean glasses
- Mark blood trail
- Blow nose
- I've used it with a straight sapling whip as a cleaning rod, when my shotgun fell muzzle first in mud. (For all of you bowhunters that hunt with other weapons, waterfowl, etc.)
- Rip off small pieces for wind indicators.
- Dangle a few sheets at the bottom of your pull up rope, it looks enough like a deer's tail to get an animal to investigate. Either drop it or hide it as the animal gets within range.
- Dry fire starter material
- Not perfect, but use it to clean hands after dressing out your animal.
- Clean camera lens, or bino lens.
- Use as gauze for superficial wounds, cuts.
- Use as scent dispenser and range marker
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: July 09, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
Well...If Mike started this thread with "Look where you been," then I feel obligated to add "Look where your going."

Specifically.....when nature calls and you have to drop your coveralls, make certain your sleeves and any other items you don't want  . . uh . . "soiled" . . .are clear of the drop zone.

:banghead:

Kingsnake

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: July 09, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
ahhh...just saw BowHunterGA had a similar post...

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: July 09, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
'Keep your nose to the wind and your eyes along the skyline'  -Del Gue

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: July 09, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
Chew grass, pine needles, hemlock needles, ect to help kill breath odor. Clorophill.( excuse the spelling} kills   :campfire:   odors much the same as baking powder, which I also always brush my teeth with before a big game hunt. Gimmick free scent control!     :campfire:
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: July 09, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »
Excellent point Knawbone.  I make it a point to brush my teeth and use mouthwash before every hunt.  Also, I breathe through my nose as I have found I see so many more animals by doing this.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: July 09, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »
Leave a "hunt plan" with a friend or loved one before each hunt.  It shows them their due respect & it could save your life if the crap hits the fan!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: July 10, 2013, 12:06:00 AM »
Like tomanyhobbys said about toilet paper.Here in Sask. the winds can be brutal.Use some to plug your ears(Like cotton)I use to get severe headaches before doing this.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: July 10, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by buckster:
Leave a "hunt plan" with a friend or loved one before each hunt.  It shows them their due respect & it could save your life if the crap hits the fan!
Never really thought about it before untill my wife brought it up one time.  So I printed out maps of the places I hunt and numbered specific locations.  The night before I hunt I let her know the "number/numbers" where I plan to be and roughly how long.
Even though I'm not close to being in the "wilderness" the areas are over 1000 acres each.  Anything can happen and wouldn't want my kids to have to deal with that.
Lots of good stuff in this thread.

Eric

Offline firsted

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: July 10, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
Mike, I like your style & thanks for the asking!  I'll be reading the responses very closely..I need the help too.  Thanks again my friend and good luck,
*** Skysoldier - 1/509 ABN

--"You don't get old until your dreams are replaced by regrets"--

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©