3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Share a "simple" tip on hunting/woodsmanship-  (Read 16527 times)

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Share a "simple" tip on hunting/woodsmanship-
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
Thank god it can not be bought at Cabela's!
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
A big knife, a small knife and make sure both are sharp. You can do most "anything" with a small one.....you can do "Everything" with a big one. Some para cord is handy also. A lot of good tips so far!!!!!!!    :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
Avoid the crowds, the deer sure do.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
Store you elk calls (mouth reeds) in an old chew can that was mint flavor and your reeds will taste better:)

If you are like me and don't chew, tell your buddy to save ya a can.

Practice building a fire with different methods before you go afield its not as easy as you think, especially in the heat of the moment. (Pun intended )
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
Carry your binos even when you don't think you'll need them. It never fails that something far off will catch my eye and I have to just sit and wonder about it.

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
always drink upstream of the herd...
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »
Never step away from your bow.Always have it in reach-regardless of what you HAVE to do.

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »
That little voice in the back of yer head is not always wrong. And always check twice before you go, for those times that the voice is wrong.
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2011, 11:58:00 PM »
Beer and jalapenos are not a good idea the night before an early morning hunt.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2011, 12:02:00 AM »
Never pick your nose with the same hand you use to spread scent.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline ironmike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2011, 12:36:00 AM »
stay still enough for the birds and critters to be around you,hunt instinctively,be in the moment,with stillness of mind,thats hunting for me.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2011, 12:47:00 AM »
Make sure your boots fit BEFORE the season opens.

Carry a headlamp instead of a flashlight, two free hands are always better than one.  (Anyone that has gutted a deer in the dark while holding a flashlight in their teeth knows what I'm talking about!)

Hunt the wind!  Be willing to change your game plan if the wind isn't cooperating.

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2011, 01:03:00 AM »
Carry a small film canister or similar water tight container stuffed full of cotton balls thoroughly "soaked" in Vaseline.  They are great fire starters, even in rain.

Carry a roll of white cotton thread to attach to the ends of your bow.  Very good, cheap, biodegradable, wind inidcators.

Carry a wine bottle cork and a lighter for cheap face paint.  Let one end of the cork burn a little to get enough soot to get the coverage you want.  One or two tries and you will figure it out.

Carry a whistle and a cheap, small, plastic camping mirror to signal with in case you really get lost.

Arm and Hammer unscented deodorant is one of the best scent free deodorants you can buy.

Did somebody say compass?  Saved my butt a few times.  Trust your compass.  Practice builds trust.  Make a game out of using a compass with your friends/kids to feel comfortable with one.  Try using one in teh dark with a flashlight to navigate out of a small area in the dark to see how well work.

If you walk out in the dark in woods and don't wear glasses, carry a cheap pair of clear safety glasses.  Could save your eye.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2011, 03:33:00 AM »
Great stuff. Stay positive . Don't forget to drink your water even if your cold.Look where your going not all snakes rattle.Look behind you thats where the lions at.Out here any way.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2011, 06:44:00 AM »
Never step ON something that you can step OVER............a broken leg is potentially life threatening.  from my Dad

Know how to find dry tinder and build a fire in ANY conditions.  from my own experience.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2011, 06:52:00 AM »
Pete,
Your step over tip makes good sense, especially in seasons or weather when snakes aren't up and about.  However, in snake season and country I'm more likely to step up on a log and make sure the off side is snake-free than stepping over. People are sometimes bitten when stepping to the far side of a snake hidey hole that they couldn't see.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2011, 07:02:00 AM »
1. You can file the barbs from a large treble hook and keep it and a ground-reaching cord in your pack for retreiving ground-loving hats, gloves, and jackets that fall from the tree stand.

2. To reduce the number of arrows in your quiver you can carry (safely please) spare broadheads in small containers in your pack. An errant arrow pulled from the dirt can be affixed with a new broadhead.

3. Learn the birds and trees (someone above mentioned the trees as well). It will  make your time more enjoyable.  Of course knowing the trees can be crucial to scouting success from a deer food standpoint -- Persimmon trees can be fantastic spots for candy-loving deer!

4. You can carry a wet washcloth (or wipes) in a zip-lock to clean up hands and knife after field dressing to keep from bloodying your gear, steering wheel, etc. I especially do this when squirrel hunting.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2011, 07:09:00 AM »
Don't bring snacks in a plastic bag, they can be heard for a long ways.

Dont' take iffy shots on the other hand a shot not taken is always a miss.  

trust your instinct on the shot, I don't know how many times I've been lined up and decided to adjust my aim and missed, the first instinct is the best.

On wilderness trips baby wipes are nicer on the nether regions than toilet paper.  Or as Tucker says "a clean butt is a happy butt"

Always be careful when lowering your bow from a stand, if an arrow falls out of the quiver it can get hung up with the point facing up, ready to impale you.

always have an extra string and tab or glove

batteries go dead at the wrong times, carry spares for everything

a small knife will do more than a large one.

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2011, 07:33:00 AM »
Be prepared physically and mentally, Things change. Weather, terrain, broken strings, lost tabs, etc. And enjoy your time hunting, time cannot be replaced.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline monk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2011, 07:41:00 AM »
If you fall down....get up.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©