3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Share a "simple" tip on hunting/woodsmanship-  (Read 16528 times)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Share a "simple" tip on hunting/woodsmanship-
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
When you hit a deer, the first thing you should do is take a compass reading as he departs.

I was lucky to have a few great Woodsman mentor me. My Grandfather was a true Yooper ( he refered to his breeding as that of a "Jackpine Savage"  :)  , my Uncle Jack, who had a knack for being comfortable in the woods, and later in life Ron LaClair. Ron gets a lot of recognition as a traditional bowhunter/archer, but his knowledge and experience of the wild places is a gold mine. I'm near 50, and I feel like a little kid when we are in camp. He has upped my woodsmanship knowledge ( I hesitate to use the word skill) ten fold.

I feel strongly that we are losing our heritage of woodsmanship skills. Strongly enough that I have started a website to record some of them. I'm not selling anything, just writing about traditional woodsmanship skills.

Tradgang is a great place this as well. As long as we have threads like this going, hopefully the youngsters will never think the only way to spend time in the woods is on an ATV, with a GPS, etc.....
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Jim Boettcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
Hey Roger, could you PM me your website? I'd like to see it. Thanks Jim

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »
When I hunt from a tree stand  I always have a field point arrow with me . IF I hit a deer  I watch its progress after the hit  for as long as I can, then I instantly go back and shot a field point to the exact point the deer was standing when I hit it.  It alwasy looks different on the ground and it gives you and exact   starting point  and angle of the shot  when you want to start looking .
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
Didn't read through all. Spend the first two thirds of your "hunting time" scouting and the last third actually hunting.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2011, 04:24:00 PM »
Imagine you are a Native American 500 years ago and and you don't want to be a vegatarian.
bolong

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
If I forget my compass I put my back to the moon(South), I'm facing North, right is East left is West. Line up your path and head in the general direction you need to travel.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »
Bowwild,

Never even thought about snakes - yikes.  I don't hunt where there are snakes or maybe just non-poisonous variety.  You make a good point though and worth thinking about.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »
Shut up and listen to the heroes of mine on here like RC, KentuckTJ, Guru, etc,etc. They put the meat on the ground year in year out. Like Roger Norris said, " I hesitate to use the word skill."

A few though I learned from others and a few of my own.

1) Keep a Gerber folding saw, $19.99, in every climbing stand you own. Priceless !

2) The nylon strap that holds your Summit Viper stand pieces cinched tight together for packing makes an AWESOME doe drag. Mason calls it, " Her necklace or leash. " "Okay Dad, she is gutted, now put her leash on and walk her home. "

3) You will never own a sharper knife or broadhead than one that has been sharpened on a KME sharpener.

4) Never ever pass up the opp to scout in fresh snow or when it is raining softly. Snow tells you EVERYTHING and rain allows you to slip along quietly not disturbing the area and washing your scent away.

5) If hunting a proven tree or area and not seeing deer like normal pick up and move a few hundred yards if needed. Don't stay in the same tree too long, adjust till you get back on them.

6) When you get to the sternum move over left or right and cut thru the cartilage than connects the ribs to the sternum instead of the sternum. Cut the esophagus as far up in the neck as you can and stick your fingers in for a handle to pull everything down and out.

7)Wool, Wool, Wool in Predator Fall Gray on the outside and Ullfrotte' wool on the inside.

8)Google Earth the most awesome scouting tool on the planet and it is FREE !!!

9)As tempting as it can be, NEVER take the quartering to you shot..... NEVER !

10) Clean and clear shooting lanes in and around your stand in summer. Cost me a huge 9 point two years ago when I knew better but was lazy, ughhh!
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
When fiddling with things on stand, try to keep arms and hands in front of torso. Movement is much easier to pick up when silhouetted as in moving arms out from body.

Offline tree dancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
Take a Kid!!

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »
I always carry 3 or 4 cyalume light sticks in my fannypack. Just "snap" one and hang in a tree (as high as you can reach)beside the bloodtrail when you start to get out of sight of your treestand. (If you think you made a bad hit, "snap" one and hang it up in your treestand before you get down). If you have a long trailing job (like a liver hit, etc), when you have trouble seeing your last lightstick, "snap" another one and hang it up.  Depending on how thick the cover is, you can see them for a long,long ways.  Once you find your game, the way out is easy to see.  If you need to go get some help to drag it out, no problem relocating your game.  If you decide to back out until the next day, you will still be able to see them. They don't cost much, Wal-mart has a bunch of 'em in the camping section, don't start fires, don't wash away if it rains overnight and they last 8 or more hours.  Plus you could use them to signal for help long after your flighlight batteries are dead.  They come in all different sizes but I always use the big ones or military size ones.  I think they are about 7 inches long.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »
Keep your hands in your pockets. Many of us move our hands around almost involuntarily while sitting idle. Keeping them out of sight removes a lot of attention getting motion when on stand.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline levibear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2011, 12:57:00 AM »
Hunt at mid day please believe me on this one
Never trade time for money, cause when your out of time money don't matter

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2011, 01:26:00 AM »
Never climb in to your stand without being connected to a safety rope.your family wants you back.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: July 02, 2011, 02:44:00 AM »
If going into Big Country I always carry the essentials to get me through a night in the bush,You never know.A small sile tarp and a tiny Alcohol stove and a few other essetials can make it very comfortable.In the High Country it makes it comfortable to sit out a thunderstorm.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: July 02, 2011, 04:50:00 AM »
a bushies game camera- if you find a trail and you want to know how active it is, take a stick and in a soft or sandy part of the trail wipe it clean, removing old tracks. came back later and check what's been through.

also my signiture goes a long way....
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: July 02, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
TreeDancer had the best tip of all.RC

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
Never stalk/walk with a broadhead-tipped arrow nocked.
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
Carry a first aid kit.

Hunt the moon phase, bright side, 10-2 midday, dark side, first and last 2 hours of daylight, works for me about 75% of the time last 20 years.

Carry a good, small pair of binos, and always look in shaded areas under foliage ahead ofyou while scouting, stalking. You wont believe the number of game you have been missing.

Camo you face and hands, relighously, gloves or paint!

Keep  your knives and  broadheads razor sharp, dull knives will get you hurt.
samuel koger

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
A watch can substitute for a compass when the sun is out. Point the hour hand at the sun, and south is halfway between the hour hand and 12:00.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©