3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: thermacell users~  (Read 468 times)

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
thermacell users~
« on: June 30, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
how many do you use?    :knothead:  I got skeeters here that'll carry you off! just curious I haven't used one before, and in the past have chosen to sweat to death by wearing layers to keep the skeeters off me.  I was hoping I could do with a long sleeve T-shirt and light pants this year- maybe a ghilli top if I get around to building one. Where do you put it on your body when your walking in or stalking on the ground? does it even stay on your person or do you have to remove it to use it? how long does it last? is there really no smell to deter the critters when you use one?   any and all info is much appreciated!

L.R.    :thumbsup:
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: thermacell users~
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
They smoke a little and SMELL - yes they smell, I have used mine a lot and have no proof either way whether they scare deer off or not. I also have never had a deer under me while it was on - I'm sure someone has but I have never. The strips last like 2-3 hours and the bottle maybe 6 hours. You can get the bottles at walmart - the gals use them in curlers or something. Butane cartridges. They do help with the skeeters though

Offline bendbig

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
Yep they help with skeeters ,flies, gnats ect. I've used mine for several years now.
Glenn
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me, Gen 27:3

Offline ronnyg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
Thermacells work great.  I've never used one on the move, but would think they would not do as good like that.  If you have a little breeze they aren't as effective either.  You will probably still have a few lingering fella's around but bottom line well worth the money.

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
Worth their weight in gold, have had several deer and hogs downwind and didn't seem to care.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
I haven't used mine for hunting....yet. May have to this year as they are fierce. I think it says on the package the wafers last about 4 hrs. That seems to be my experience. I built a shed one summer and put one in the middle of the floor. Kept them away. I would guess about a 10 ft. radius. I don't think it would work as well attached to you while you walk, wind drift etc. It does smell some.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
Been using one for a few years can't say I have seen the smoke or smelled it but I do know it keeps away those little pests and have had the deer around me in use and I hunt on the ground.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
The ABSOLUTE number ONE product I would reccomend or endorse if I could ONLY choose one product.

They have a faint smell to them. I am actually in love with the smell because it reminds me of those early September mornings where there is no much anticipation in the air that you could cut it with a knife.

However, I have had deer 10 yards away from me with it on and none minded. As far as mosquitos, I have never been bitten with it on.

For carrying it, buy the carrying case that comes with it. It slides into it and fits snugly, and it has a buckle to clip to yourself, to ur stand, etc.

Best $20 you will EVER spend.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
i have mine in the carrying case and buckle it to my pack when i am stillhunting. It works great.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
I've used them for the last three years and have had deer walk directly under me with no problems.  My uncle has been on the ground with the Thermacell running and had deer feed on vegetation nearly at arm's length.  I don't go into the woods without mine.

Rusty
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
I put them below me and they put off a pretty noticeable smell and light smoke.  I haven't noticed much difference in deer behavior from normal, but sometimes what you don't know hurts.

I don't normally use it for the whole hunt depending on how bad it is and can usually get at least 2 hunts on a cartridge and about 7-8 on the buttane.

In my view, if you are playing the wind anyway, they sure beat getting eaten alive.  Plus, there is a lot less movement without bugs and I can actually enjoy a sit in the early season.

Forgot my one gripe.  You settle in the stand and it is a crisp pin-drop quiet morning and to start the dang thing makes a pretty loud pop. I try to muffle it some.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
I've had mine for several years also and I have to say that I'll never be without one again.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
Absolutely makes the difference between misery and happy hunting in the early seasons (and spring bear too).  I also recommend the little "holster" they sell which has pockets in it for extra butane and repellent mats, plus a latch to attach it to a branch, your pack, your stand, etc.

Early in our deer season, when I'm sneaking slowly to my stand and otherwise would be getting murdered by mosquitoes even on the walk in, I fire up the Thermacell at the rig and attach it to the hanging strap at the top of my day pack.  When I move that slowly, it can and does help keep the bugs at bay even while you're walking.  

Like others have said, best $20-30 you'll ever spend.  I also take mine camping/fishing with my daughters and a huge difference maker.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
I WILL walk back to the car to get mine if I forget it in the morning.  Best thing for hunting since I found tradbows.

Mine lasts about 6hrs, but I usually run it for about 2 until the swarm calms down or I can get above them.  I leave mine under my seat under my stand.  Works great.  Clothing, wear something light and loose that breaths well that doesn't hug the skin like those fancy compression shirts from UA.

Thermacell is worth every penny.
Support the sport!

Offline critter69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 12:25:00 AM »
I bought one could not get the thing to light. I finally got it to light but probably after 50-100 pushes of the button. Then when i tried to show a friend it would not work at all.And he said he had tried one and had problems also.We both returned them.I found out latter that they do not work at higher altitudes.

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 12:44:00 AM »
Critter. I thought mine wouldn't light either. This MIGHT have been the problem with urs, as it was with mine:

If you just click the button and don't hold it down AFTER the click, it will not light. It is kind of like a lighter where u have to click AND hold the button to get it to fire up.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
Has anyone tried the smaller version?  Thinking about the small one for 3d shoots.  Nevermind.  I read a review and it's not that much smaller.

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
wow, looks like this is a must have then~ I think I will take a walk with one of these next week and see how it works out!

L.R.
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
I have used one at night in a swamp, hunting gators from a boat. I set it in the bow and had no mosquitos in rest of the boat while slowly moving. It does have a smell and if I breath much of it, it gives me a sickly feeling, its the exact same feeling I get when I put on a bunch of bug repellent. Which makes sense, its probablhy best not to breath anymore of it than necessary. There have been times when the mosquitos have been so bad that I had to quit hunting or fishing and this is definately the lesser of two evils.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by USN_Sam1385:
The ABSOLUTE number ONE product I would reccomend or endorse if I could ONLY choose one product.

They have a faint smell to them. I am actually in love with the smell because it reminds me of those early September mornings where there is no much anticipation in the air that you could cut it with a knife.

However, I have had deer 10 yards away from me with it on and none minded. As far as mosquitos, I have never been bitten with it on.

For carrying it, buy the carrying case that comes with it. It slides into it and fits snugly, and it has a buckle to clip to yourself, to ur stand, etc.

Best $20 you will EVER spend.
I second this.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©