3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: thermacell users~  (Read 469 times)

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: thermacell users~
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
In Canada the best result I had was burning 2 Thermacells at once. Yes they smoke some and they do have a scent. The smoke will give you a good wind direction though!

A butane cartridge and pad will last you about 8 hours or so on stand. I put them at about butt height or under my seat per the guys urging in camp. Worked great and I had a very comfortable hunt.

Get one and you will be happy. Either that or burn citronella coils. They both work.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
Works great and I have the holster and even bought the patio lamp version for the back deck.

You can refill the canisters (Google it. -do so at your own risk).

Online graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
honestly,(being from mississippi) i believe its as important as bringing your bow|arrows to the woods. we got skeeters down here that can mate a turkey flatfooted! with that being said, why be miserable swatting skeeters the whole time your trying to enjoy yourself bowhunting. i havent had any problem with the scent issue. just hunt the wind like you would any other time you go out. its by far the best thing in my "pouch"

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
There is also a holster for the unit which I suggest you buy also.  It has pockets for an extra butane cartridge and extra pads.  it has a quick buckle strap so you can hook it to your belt or whatever.

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
I use mine and find that in "my usage" the strips last longer than 2 hours as stated above. Yes they do give off a tiny odor but while using the Therma Cell last season I had a doe come with in 3 paces of where I was sitting on the ground.I do not hunt from pop up blinds but wear a ghilly suit and natural cover. I attatch my Therma Cell to my quiver using the Therma Cell holster and a cheap caribeaner I found at walmart.Works real well keeping the bugs from draining my blood.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
Best thing ever invented in my book.  Only one needed, but light it a few minutes before you REALLY need it.

BTW, get the holster, clip it somewhere close and you are good to go.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
They say u can get the butain from another source for in curling irons but were and u can buy the padsby themselves also but were can u get this stuff.    Widow

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
If you have questions after reading the above contact a TG member who attended the recent Bear Quest V. Tom Phillips, Tippit, etc. They should be able to answer all your questions from first hand experience.I guess I'm lucky, mosquites have never been a problem where I hunt in TX or OK. Chiggers yes, mosquitoes no.  :dunno:

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
Hell ya I live in Louisiana!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have several!!!!!!!!!  :thumbsup:    :archer2:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
All good advice,  I took one on spring bear this year and it worked great.  They do make earth scented pads that diminish some of the smell that is present.  The bears did not seem to mind at all and I had them as close as 3 feet. Good Luck!!!

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
They definitely work. I have not noticed any deer, hogs being spooked. Like LimBender said it makes some noise when you push the button. I think it's an excellent product.
bolong

Offline huntmaster70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
If the skeeters or blackflys are bad & you are out huntin' or fishin' you would pay $40.00 to have one then!

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »

I've got the small one and a regular. The small one I like better as it does pack smaller and lights with cigarette lighter which is quieter to light than than pushing the button which makes a loud snap.

I used them a lot when I lived in Fl. and they do have a smell and don't work 100% when the squeeters are really bad. I've had one hanging from my neck and one at my waist the last yr I was in Fl. and mosquitoes were so bad I was still sucking them down my throat while still hunting...and that was on the hill. However, they're still the best thing going far as mosquitoes go. Never had them even faze yellow flies or no-see-ums.

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
dang, yellow flies can be fierce too! almost forgot about them~

I am thinking I will double up like Hoyt said- the small one and the bigger one.

L.R.
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©