3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String Board Deminsions ?????  (Read 381 times)

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
String Board Deminsions ?????
« on: June 28, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »
Hey Guys, i am just starting to lay out the nail positions for a flemish string board and after a little cyphering noticed that all of the info i gathered off of the internet and out of TBM are not coming up with the same results.   Its driving me MAD !!!

Lets say we make a 62 inch string,
         so the formula is 62-4=60+16=76 inches.  

All of the info i have gathered results in a diffferent lengths. HELLLLLLLLLLLP   !!!!!!

Can you guys give me some guidance.

Thanks, Jack
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String Board Deminsions ?????
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
http://www.stickbow.com/stickbow/features/flemishstring/flemishstring.html

A lot of coming up with correct length strings is learning how much twist to put in each string on each turn. Twist em a lot and they come up short, don't twist em enough and they come up long.

Not sure where you are getting your numbers.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
I've found that I have to add two inches to the computed string length on the jig I made from the plans in TJ's Traditional Bowhunters Handbook.  With all the different bow designs now, the old standard of 4 inches less than AMO length for a longbow and three inches less for a recurve, or is it the other way around, just doesn't hold anymnore.  Will need to do a little experimenting.  Good luck.

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 02:37:00 AM »
I do many strings and I NEVER saw a reason for a string board. In fact, I think the "perfect" string can only be made WITHOUT using a board.
Cut your strands to length - one by one - problem solved!

BTW: Orion, your "old standard" is far from what old AMO standard IS - you've reversed then "normal confusion" to 180°

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 07:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by Falk:
In fact, I think the "perfect" string can only be made WITHOUT using a board.
Falk that is kind of a strange statement as many of us have made millions of strings on string boards that work as intended and are the right length and I'm not sure what you mean by "perfect" in parenthesis. Care to explain?
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Matt E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 07:40:00 AM »
The only thing my string board does is assure me my strings are the right length and the ends are equally spaced for my taper. It does a faster job than if I were to make the strings without a string board.I didn't use a string board for over 30 years but do now!

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 09:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by the Ferret:

Originally posted by Falk:
In fact, I think the "perfect" string can only be made WITHOUT using a board.
... "perfect" in parenthesis. Care to explain? [/b]
Ferret, I can not resist.  It's in quotations not (parenthesis).   :bigsmyl:

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 10:00:00 AM »
Mickey,
certainly you have and I am pretty sure you know excactly what you do when twisting up a string! But, as with many things, "shortcuts" (aka stringboards) have a tendency to "steal" some former commonly present knowledge from persons - by just being there - convenient as they are - taking care of one (two etc.) parts of a task. And honestly, why messing with a stringboard when you don't do 50 strings a day? Keep it simple! Somehow difficult for me to explain what I mean - sorry! Read between the lines please.
Anyhow, if you are aware of what you do - okay - otherwise I suggest going step by step - taking care of every single strand.

As far as "perfect" goes:
Anybody ever noticed that bowstring yarn has an initial twist to it? If you mix your bundles and lay the yarn in different directions - some will open up, ?fray and some will thighten, as they should, when twisted to a string. I think there are some boards out there where you cut both ends open and not only one!? And then the above mentioned may happen ...
I prefer to cut every strand for his own, arrange them to PARALLEL bundles, initial twist oriantated alike of course. Tapered ends are no problem at all, just put them together that way ...

BTW: No offense intended in any direction with my "perfect" statement above!   :campfire:

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 10:08:00 AM »
It takes practice--just like anything else.  I make mine a little differently than most--one thing I do is, when starting the second loop, measure to where I'm going to start it.  Not from the short end, but from the first loop--it's more consistent for me.

I agree that if you don't make a lot of strings a board isn't needed--but it sure is nice to have.  I do make a lot of strings--one trick to keep the strands in each bundle with the same tension is to stack them up the nail as you wind them off, rather than pile one on top of the other.

I don't claim to be any kind of expert, but they seem to work out ok.

Chad

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »
Almost forgot--if you use a board, get/make one that is marked for actual string length, not bow length--it will save you a lot of headaches.

Chad

Offline tim-flood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
I have a drawing in the how to section here on this site it is the same as this site:
 http://www2.pcom.net/jthutten/jth/doc/flemish.htm
I linked to this site from Murrays site just remember that it is AMO length not actual but make a few and write on the board what length they make and you have something that will last forever

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »
Dang Tex Mex you're right... Doh   :knothead:

Falk, I took no offense, just needed an explanantion. Yes I can make a string without a stringboard. As far as which way my bundles lay with regards to initial string twist orientation..ya got me there! ha ha Will have to pay more attention next time. From that, I would have to say your strings are in all liklihood (more perfect) in parenthisis LOL, than mine are.

And yes Chad, I have my stringboard marked at string length rather than amo, but as you said it still takes practice to get the twists right and even to get the strings to match that making.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©