3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Purist Insanity  (Read 288 times)

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Purist Insanity
« on: July 01, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
My background is predominately fishing and in 2005 I brought an artisan reel to market for fishing steelhead called the Mykiss(latin for rainbow trout)back in Michigan.  My experience with individuals that would spend $400.00 on a fishing reel was far and beyond enough to deter me from doing a second run.  A very esoteric and discerning crowd for sure (Hope this introduction doesn't break the rules).

Six years later where do I land?  In the simple world of stick and string.  So I thought!  How could something as simple as this be so involved that an average lifespan does not seem enough?

Where I'm going with this?  I'm not sure. Just trying to understand the playing field that's before me/us. I want to understand more about the degrees of seperation in traditional archery.  Or the categories, if you will.  My thoughts are varied.

My first inclination is to think Ishi to Qarbon Nano...A past to present historical approach where the schools of thought (or genres) are the milestones in technology between the begining and the present???

A neophytes ramblings...

-Primitive (selfbows, sinew backed)
-String follow D shape bows (pre-glass)
-Recurves (pre-glass)
-Phenalics/laminates
-Reflex Deflex LB
-3 piece bows
-Glass foam
-Carbon foam

On and on and on...

Can anyone add perspective?

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Purist Insanity
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
Pretty simple really.  Find a level you like and call it traditional.  If we all want to be true trad we would chase the animals off cliffs using fire to push them.  It is only as complicated as you choose to make it.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
So as long as the mechanical advantage doesn't exceed a lever it's all the same.  I get it.  Simplified.  Thanks!

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ragnarok Forge:
Pretty simple really.  Find a level you like and call it traditional.  If we all want to be true trad we would chase the animals off cliffs using fire to push them.  It is only as complicated as you choose to make it.
Yep.

Funny to break things down with lines in the sand as we type on a computer...
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
Always tell folks if they're having fun they're doing it right. Easy to get lost in interpretations. One's trash another's treasure. Not sure I would like the category I'd fit.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
To perhaps support an anology...  I fish Scott fly rods... the soft ones, yea they are carbon but they are not "parking lot" rods.... Why, well because they act somewhat like the glass rods of the 60's-70's.  Yep, they are slower and yep they load a bunch different but I like em.  They like me... I don't feel like I need to "aerialize" (my word) all my fly line and a bunch of my backing.

I have an orig. Payne and its sweet... several of the Scotts feel like the Payne.

I started with Bear recurves and now shoot Widows and the old Bears.  Its a mind set... you go where the mind takes you and that is traditional to you....

I am a happy camper....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
If it's a bent instrument with a single string, and no sights it's traditional. Anything beyond that with multiple strings, wheels, cables, screws, sights, ect. is not. That's how I break it down.

Wood, glass, carbon, ect. are just materials to make said bent instrument and I don't push them out of the traditional class because it's still a simple stick/rod and string with no sights just instinct.

I just read a post on another website where a guy shot a nice Corsican Sheep with decent head gear with a glass recurve and apologized for not using his primitive bow. Why? It's still a trad bow with a single string, no sights, no cables and all instinct. So what if it's not a single piece of wood, a wood/cane shaft with a rock point........it's still trad in my book so don't apologize to anyone.

Find what you like and learn it well.

Just my 2 cents.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
For my experience Complicated is not always better. I recently picked up a "Modern" longbow, built with all of the possibilities of something grand. 2nd day shooting it, CRACK, no more bow. Meanwhile I have several older glass laminate bows that have proven to be lifers. They'll outlive me for sure.
Even in this sport we can at times expect more from our equipment pushing the level higher. Sometimes it works out, other times it's too much and we need to back off.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
Have your arrows matched to your bow, then enjoy the ride! We all tend to compound things too much... My Muzzy Stump Shoot shirt reads, "Shut Up And Shoot!" That says a lot to me.......   ;)  

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
We have better things to do than get caught up in all that stuff. I like to shoot what I like to shoot, and it matters not to me what someone else does.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
I like your shirt Mike.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »
Light up a cigar and relax...LOL! We get far too hung up on "labels" in North America.

As long as you enjoy watching the magical flight path of the arrow, as long as it is shot from a longbow or recurve, it matters not if there is wood, fiberglass, bamboo or carbon in the limbs. As long as there are NO FRIGGING WHEELS (unless of course you are injured or lame).

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
Semo_Hunter nailed it: "Find what you like and learn it well".

Life is complicated, Trad Archery is simple. Shoot what you like, and if it ain't got wheels we can discuss it here around the campfire.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline krink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
I see traditional as a challange.  Though there are many benefits form shooting a glass bow or one made with carbon there isnt much help form the materials in the aspects of shooting ability.  There still is the biggest factor of all, the person shooting.  On all of the types of trad bows there are no helpers to make the shot eaiser (aiming, release, let off ect).  Yes there is trad gear but also a trad state of mind.  Traditional shooters no matter where they fall on the purist scale seek the feel of the shot.  They seek the challenge of releasing of an arrow.  The most important thing in my opinion is the challenge and pride in tracking and getting close to game to make those shots.  Trad should not be determined how traditional you are but by your state of mind.  And I love the look on old friends faces that still have their training wheels in their hands that I have switched over.  The look of confusion and of a world that is weird to them is priceless.
The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years.
---James Forrestal

Sticks and stones will break some bones and feed my family this winter.

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
In hindsight, it entered my mind that this subject may potentially be a contentious one. Honestly I wasn't sure.  To simplify even further, let me ask this.  When attending the many trad events around the country do the categories of competition for trad fall into one?  I love shooting and always will and I hope my son will as well.  However, coming into this "lifestyle" it seems some level of identity is established.  Another analogy would be KUIU or buckskins?  Just trying to learn and not label anyone or be offensive.  I adore it all...

~CB

Offline C Kerley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
I guess I go from one end of the spectrum to the other....tonights a perfect example.  I just walked in from shooting judo's in my yard and the bows go as follows:

50# Widow
45# Widow
59# Widow
(now to break the trend)
40# 1973 Super Kodiak
(Lienekuegal with a lemon break...that 59# was rough!)
48# 1965 Kodiak

Aside from not worrrying about what's traditional or not, MY DARN FINGERS HURT!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 12:57:00 AM »
You define yourself.
as such, everybody is different.

There isn't a life style change for me.
I just wanted to try something more difficult than a compound.
You know the old...through hard work and perseverance comes the greatest rewards...etc

Be yourself, no reason to try to fit in or make others fit to an imaginary mold.

Here we are HUNTERS who choose to hunt with long bows and recurves...that's why we're here. That is our collective identity .

There are shoots that specify what types of bows can be used...mostly for using "older" styles of bow...

Just have fun and enjoy!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 01:08:00 AM »
I started out with a 45 lb bear super mag,then moved on to compounds One day I said to myself I want to simplify the process and ordered my first custom bow and have been hooked ever since,never looked back,it's been a fun ride.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2011, 01:58:00 AM »
Right on... Okay I get it.  To some extent I feel you don't have to identify yourself at all, but just go with what you feel.  somedays your buckskins and some days it's full on.  Just relax and enjoy the ride.  My apologies everyone.  It is a new begining and I'm trying to understand the culture.  Still wondering, are there different categories in competition shooting that divide primitive from modern?
~CB

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2011, 02:17:00 AM »
yes
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©