3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tell Me Bout Smoke!  (Read 462 times)

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tell Me Bout Smoke!
« on: July 01, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
Allright, I'm going on 2-3 years readin and hearin about smoke cover scent and it's really got me thinking (since that's all I can do this time of year).  Seems kinda all or nothin - scent free or smell like a campfire. So I never tried it.

Some good hunters swear by it, some scientists talk about how it kills odors, and I'm mighty tempted to give it a shot.  

Seems a lot more "traditional" to stand in smoke and smell like a campfire than to have a 10 step try to smell like nothing ritual.     :campfire:
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tell Me Bout Smoke!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
I hunt in a place where I must camp sometimes, and I suppose I smell like smoke. I do see deer and they aren't smelling me.

My approach is to stay downwind and if I can't I relocate to a place where I can.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »
search #1  
   Search #2
   Search #3
   Search #4
   Search #5

Here are a few old threads on the subject if you don't get enough responses.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »
That's all I used to cover my scent last year. Worked like a charm!

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 12:02:00 AM »
Thanks Rasta!

I'm not trying to "beat the wind."  I'm just thinking about using smoke as a cover scent in the same way I would try to limit my scent - as an edge for crosswinds, swirling winds, and minimizing downwind spooking.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline bluej

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 12:31:00 AM »
Where I hunt, the deer will circle you until they smell you.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 06:12:00 AM »
Killing/reducing scent is one thing - and possible.

Covering scent is a different thing - and can't be done to hide from most animals.

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 07:40:00 AM »
I know that when I was in Africa every time we went to a blind along came a bag of dried Zebra dung. The would line them up touching each other and then light the one on the end and it would slowly burn like incense.  It worked very well over there.  I have never tried it in the U.S. though.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »
Pretty much anything you can do to make yourself smell “natural” will work “MOST” of the time. Smoke from a camp fire is natural in some places and not in others. Look around and see what is “NATURAL” then use it.. Using white oak cover scent in a cedar brake is kind of a red flag…  :D   My favorite screwup cover scent is Fresh Earth…. Seen a guy cover himself with it….. while hunting in S. Texas caliche dirt.
Cover scents “DO” work… just keep them natural…
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
Unlike humans, animals process multiple smells at the same time - their life depends on it. Add another smell to yours and they smell that AND you.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
Been using it in the bathroom for years. If it works there it works anywhere.

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
:biglaugh:
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
smoke1953 it may work to kill the smell for your nose.I dont know about game but thats a good point! Joeseph I wonder if you burnt Zebra dung in elk country if they could tell the diffrence between Elk dung and Zebra dung. I truly beleave when I was kid on stand hunting White Tails I swore I saw more deer when I had bad gas this is no joke. I dont know but I think they smell so well they can seperate diffrent odors. Some of the guides had earth waffers and cow elk waffers and my god I never smelled earth that strong or cow elk smell that bad JMO. Play the wind that is the best I think. When I am a ball of sweat running up and down a mountain side thats all you can do.
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
Indians hunted for a living and they smoked their clothing
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
I think it may help by leaving behind no human scent from your clothes if you rub some brush on the way to your stand.

I couple smoking my clothes with stepping in a puddle or mudding up my boots on the way into my stand. Using that method, I have seen many deer follow my trail with zero clue or alertness to my presence.

Smoke = carbon I think, right? Carbon is what they put in all those expensive suits. So.......

One issue:

If a deer gets downwind, you are usually out of buisness no matter what you try. Play the wind AND try to leave no scent trail into your stand.

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
A buddy of mine hunted with one of the very popular Wisconsin bluff outfitters, and one of the "famous" outdoor channel couples were hunting at the same time.  He asked them what their "secret" was.  They said they bring a Weber grill with them were ever they go, and before they go out hunting they burn oak leaves in it and inpregnate their hunting clothes with it.  These people rely on sponser's, I have yet to see Weber grills as one of their sponsers.?

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by okla bearclaw:
Indians hunted for a living and they smoked their clothing
X2... It works way better then anything on the market today.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
I was told to step in a cow pile or hors pile on my way to a stand... That was years ago.. If there are cows or horses around it makes sence...

As to smoke...  I have worn "smokey" clothes to the woods... I also crush a bunch of cedar and rub it on my clothes occasionally...
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
Story time! I once stalked a large herd of elk with my uncle and father. We smoked ourselves before closing in and at one point we were downwind of all 250 elk. The elk were anywhere from 30 to 70 yards away and not one of them spooked. we could only shoot browtine bulls and it took 15 minutes of searching the herd to find out that there was not a legal elk. At that point we walked into plain sight and it still took the elk another 10 minutes to clear out. Take it how you will but I am sold on smoke as a cover scent, but only if smoke is a natural scent in the area!
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
I like to smoke up my insulated jumpsuit with hickory chips you can buy from the grocery store.  I don't know if it fools a deers nose, but I like the smell.  It reminds me of years ago when I was a kid and .....   :campfire:
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©