3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tell Me Bout Smoke!  (Read 460 times)

Offline Pope Co.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tell Me Bout Smoke!
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
Scent Control is a very intriguing subject for me. I did some research on this a few years ago and I'll try to share what I remember. Some of the processes we've already heard above. But I'll try to relate our routine as best as possible. De-scent your washer and dryer. A lot of folks don't think about this. We use scent free detergent and do not add anything to the dryer so this step is already done for us year round. Wash your clothes in any of the scent free detergents. We lean toward "Hunters Specialty". Don't forget to descent your bath towels, I think some folks over look this important step. Take them right out of the dryer and take them straight outside. Bathe your self in one of the scent free soaps. Here again we lean toward "Hunters Specialty". Apply "Hunters Specialty" scent free deorderant. Now your almost ready. Here is another step a lot of folks leave out. Brush your teeth with baking soda. Swallow some. It taste kind of nasty but you'll get used to it. Swallowing some helps take care of the stomach to mouth connection to bad breath. Take something in the field with you that occurs naturally that you can have in your mouth all the time. We use walnuts a lot because we don't have an apple orchard nearby. A man once said to me, if you could hold your breath the entire time your in the field 80% of your scent problems would be taken care of. For your gear I have a recipe for a descenting solution that you can make for pennies. I'll post that later when I remember the exact measurements. Other things to do is watch your red meat intake, watch your spices and alcohol intake. If you do all these things you still will not beat their nose everytime but you'll be surprised how often you will.
Hope this helps.

Offline Pope Co.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
Most scent molecules are high or low pH, or very easily oxidized. That is why this recipe works well. Baking Soda has a very strong neutral pH so it will neutralize the high or low pH molecules and Hydrogen Peroxide will oxidize the kind of scent molecules that are easily oxidized.

2 quarts Distilled Water
1.5 quarts Hydrogen Peroxide
.5 cups Baking Soda
1 oz. unscented laundry detergent

After thorough mixing store in bottles that won't let light through. Light will reduce the shelf life of this product. Also keep caps loose for a week because this concoctioin will generate some gas and the bottles may come apart violently. Or the way I like to say it, "Rapid, Random, Disassembly".

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
Thanks for all the discussion guys.  Pope, didn't see smoke in your posts, but appreciate the tips.  I have used the Hunter specialty clothes wash and it seemed fine.  I have also used the silver spray a good bit.  Put some old doe p on a cotton ball and then spray with that silver stuff = no smell (I still wouldn't believe it if I hadn't done it myself).  Will also remove cigarette smoke on hands, which may have some non-hunting usefulness for some folks.  :D
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Cambow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
Skunk scent is a nightmare... but it is the only thing that really works  :)
- CAMBOW
   Stick Bendin' - Shaft Chuckin' - Trad Junkie...

Offline emac396

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
I tried it accidentally once after a heavy rain in late morn I dried my cloth by fire, all I could smell was smoke thought I'm never gonna see a deer well I did and it didn't seem to bother them but the smell just seemed to strong.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©