3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: B50 replacement for an older bow?  (Read 167 times)

Offline Imabowman

• Trad Bowhunter
B50 replacement for an older bow?
« on: July 02, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
I'm shooting a '74 grizzly #50 58" with a B50 string (Flemish) that seems to never stop streaching. This week I left my bow unstrung and gained 3/8 inch tiller.

What new string material can I use for this older bow that is not keep streaching but will not harm the bow?

Also, would a loop be a better choice for B50 on this bow?

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: B50 replacement for an older bow?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
How many strands are you using, I use fat 16 strand B55 strings with very little stretching.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Imabowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
I am using 2 colors, green & brown, with 12 strands...6 each.

Offline Wapiti Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »
With the older bows that were not made to be compatible with the newer FF type string fibers, you're stuck with either B-50 by Brownell, or B-55 by BCY. Both are dacron fibers, the difference being the "breaking" point: 50#/strand for B-50, and 55#/strand for B-55. According to a good friend who has done extensive testing, they're both subject to breaking about 5# less than rated. Since a conservative "rule of thumb" for the number of strands to use for a margin of safety is 12X the draw wt, with a 50# draw wt, you would want a string with a tensile strength of at least 600#. Therefore, using B-50 with a possible break point of 45#/strand, you'd want a minimum of a 14 strand string.  As far as stretching goes, that's the nature of the dacron beast, although if shot regularly, they settle in and the stretching is minimal at worst. Additionally, I think you'll find that flemish twist strings seem to exacerbate the stretching problem inherent with dacron. Bottom line: I'd recommend going with a 14 strand, continuous loop string. JMHO   :dunno:

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
Excellent question and one that has been running through my head and recieved info from some string makers .......not consistant with above so kinda? expecting to hear more here.

The string making process is my next one to learn and have some good info from kind members.

THIS subject is the one of most interest to me, more NOISE wise than "speed".

I know for FACT there is at least ONE member here shooting 10 stand strings in VERY old Bear bows and has for several years.

Anyone have the link to O.L. Adcocks page on sting/strand/materials etc?  I know there IS one but danged if I can find it.

God Bless (not meaning to stir said pot but know there is more opinions out there and needing such)

PMs are fine, LOL, if preferred.

Slow
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
How old is the string you are shooting?  How many shots have you shot through it roughly?
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 01:46:00 AM »
B.C.Y. string for older Bows is b5oo and I use 10 to 12 strands for a 55 lb bow with flemish twist construction
Gord

Offline Sal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 03:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by Imabowman:
I'm shooting a '74 grizzly #50 58" with a B50 string (Flemish) that seems to never stop streaching. This week I left my bow unstrung and gained 3/8 inch tiller.

What new string material can I use for this older bow that is not keep streaching but will not harm the bow?

Also, would a loop be a better choice for B50 on this bow?
Your last statement answers your question, if you're not using two loops, whatever knot you're using to hold to the string isn't holding, therefore leading to "stretch".  Your string isn't stretching, your knot is slipping.  I suggest you make or acquire a proper two loop bowstring, made out of dacron, for your bow.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 07:28:00 AM »
I have a 70s Super Grizzly and make a 54" string for it that as minimim twist. The less, but enough, twists you have the better off you'll be. I use B55 and have about 4" of fade twist to lock the loop. Once I got the right twist pattern the B55 settles in quick and stays there. I leave it strung when not shooting.

I have also found that this way with yarn silencers is the quietest I've had the old Bear since owning it. Mine likes a 8-8.25 brace and I use 12 strands. I draw it out to 29 so it's over #50.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Imabowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
I do make my own loop strings, however, This two color flemish was make for me by a friend and is 4 months old with hundreds of shots on it.

I will keep an eye on the knot lacing on the ends.

I have always used Black.

Do colored strands have different properties associated with them?

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Imabowman:
 I do make my own loop strings, however, This two color flemish was make for me by a friend and is 4 months old with hundreds of shots on it.

I will keep an eye on the knot lacing on the ends.

I have always used Black.

Do colored strands have different properties associated with them?
No. It's for seeing the different bundles when twisting to keep the same color strands together. After it's finished it just looks good and allows you to see how tight or loose the twist is.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
You should be able to shoot 12 strand dacron on that bow, with out all that creep! That is, if it was quality built!

How much twist is in it, would be my first ?. How much "twisting" experience, does your friend have! Have him build ya another to replace it.

When we all start making strings, we have to"use" friends!  :D   It's part of the R&D dept.

As for the question on colors, back in the day of "Dacron Only", talk was, that the dyes weakend the strands sum what! Even white, was not the natural color!

Whatever, we have slept since then. It's all good!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©