3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: fletching arrows with thread (no glue)  (Read 278 times)

Offline Davesea

• Trad Bowhunter
fletching arrows with thread (no glue)
« on: July 02, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
I just got through fletching 100 arrows with thread.  I used a fletching jig to mark the feather placement on the arrow. Did rod wrap at the front and back of the arrow with thread wrap along the entire feather. It worked great and can be done fairly quickly and this method seems to be more durable than glue.  I am thinking that I will go to this for all my arrows.

Another reason to go to tying on fletching is that an arrow can be re-fletched in the field.  I was in Hawaii hunting recently and only had two arrows.  One got messed up on a pig pass through and I had to cut about 1/3 of the feather off.  Not a big deal but got me thinking about how I would re-fletch in the field.  Wrapping  fletching with thread can be done anywhere anytime and be ready to go in minutes.

So, who else uses thread?  Any advantages, disadvantages?

Thanks,
Dave

"Anyone can make a bow, but it takes skill and experience to make an arrow"  ISHI

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: fletching arrows with thread (no glue)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 03:59:00 AM »
Nice, I've been meaning to learn this.

Did you just use normal thread?

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 06:56:00 AM »
I think that I would like to do this some day.

As to your fix in the field. I carry 3 xtra feathers and some fletch tape in a baggie in my pack when I am out.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 07:13:00 AM »
very nice and very traditional style but if speed and field repair is of concern I will x2 Jamesh76 that fletch tape is the way to go.  You could put the tape on the fletch and just not pull off the backing until it was needed.  Take about 30 seconds to repair in the field.  I carry an extra string in the field but extra fletching seems pretty extreme for in field repair unless you only carry 1 or 2 arrows?

Offline Davesea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
Not sure what the recommended thread is but I was trying to make these arrows 100% biodegradable but tough.  So I used silk thread I got at Joannes Fabrics and immersed the spool in melted bees wax.  Amazing how fast the spool of thread absorbed the liquid wax.  After cooling the wax infused thread is really easy to work with and should last as long as the arrow does.

Fletch tape seems like a good alternative for field repairs, thanks.  Although I am curios to test how many repairs are needed if thread is used in the first place?
"Anyone can make a bow, but it takes skill and experience to make an arrow"  ISHI

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
What happens if the bees wax is not used?

Offline Davesea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
Probably would be fine.  The silk thread is strong and thin.  I used the bees wax since the arrows would be immersed in the ocean.

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
Davesea are you going back to Hawaii again? Gotta ask about the ocean immersion?

Offline Davesea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
Hopefully going back to Hawaii some time soon.  As far as the ocean immersion
 http://www.driftarrow.com/node/18

Dave

Offline john fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »
Nice work.  Next time try a straight cut or Poe&Young cut fletch for a real 'primitive' or Olde English look.

That much work on a modern parabolic - just a touch more to be historically correct!

Are you using a self bow?

I use a Linen/poly mix thread for my full wrapped
'English' arrows.  These ae popular with the historical reinactors and the SCA folk. The Linen gives it a good look while the poly gives it strength and the thread can remain thin.  Pure linen is quite hard to work with and in thin thread can break fairly easily.

Silk is a good idea and I may try that If I can find some in grey that is not too spendy!
Instructor BSA NCS certified

Offline Davesea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
John,
I use "indian style" cut on my hunting arrows.  Wrapping feathers on arrows seems to be, functionally, better than glue.  So why aren't there more trad guys doing it? Not just for the primitive or Historical feel but for everyday fletching?  It is hard to find a thread on this subject.  Have you seen a "How to" on it?

You can get the silk thread at Joannes for $3 on sale for 100 yards which I found did a little over 50 arrows.
Dave

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
Why don't you do a build along so we can all see how it's done?  I would like to try this myself.  I have done some flu flu's with dental floss on the front and back with fletch tape in the middle, but would like to try all thread atleast once and twice if I like it.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
looks nice, Dave    I think you must have more patience than I do
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Davesea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
Thanks Dick,
The patience comes when you have to wait for the glue to dry when you glue on feathers.  I can fletch an arrow in half the time it takes the glue to dry on one feather.....

Offline Davesea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
I made a video that shows how to do this.  Hopefully it will get you jump started.  I will post it to this thread later today.

Offline Davesea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »
Thank you for taking the time to show us.  I'm going to do up a few of those this weekend.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
These have a little helical....

U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline Davesea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
Thanks Charles,
Another advantage of wrapping feathers, you have full control of the helical.  These must fly great.
Dave

Offline Davesea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
Mike,
Sure, I hope it helps.  Let us know how it goes.
Dave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©