3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Arrow Weight for Low poundage bows?  (Read 255 times)

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
Best Arrow Weight for Low poundage bows?
« on: July 03, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
I am currently shooting around 45# due to a bad shoulder and I am a little concerned about effectiveness of my arrows.  I am a long time wheely guy and used to having plenty of energy so it really doesn't matter if you like flat shooting lite arrows or max penetration heavy arrows.

I am trying to decide to if my lite CX hertitage shafts are the right shafts or should i make them heavier to increase penetration.  At 45#'s heavy arrows will be difficult to shoot at any distant due to significant drop.  I like a "flatter" shooting arrow, but like I said I am a little concerned.

Thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks
Mike
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Arrow Weight for Low poundage bows?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
I like 500gr arrows w/ my sub 50lb bows. Seem to work real well

Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
A total arrow weight of ten grains per pound of bow weight is a good place to be on a trad bow. Does not have to be perfict and can very some.  Below eight grains you start to get into dry fireing conditions. To high a weight and you start to lose speed and K.E.
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
You will get lots of good advice here, but IMO the most iportant thing would be a ridiculously sharp broadhead, and i would make it a 2 blade head. With proper shot placement you will be fine sir!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
sounds like the hertitage shafts are in the right range for your suggestions.

now to find the right broadhead.....

I actually planned on using slick tricks since they fly so well out of my 300+fps compound and do very well with my trad bows. But again not sure how well a four blade head will work at that poundage.

any thoughts on that one?
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
I have always made it a practice of using arrows in the range of 10-12gpp, snuffer head razor sharp, regardless of the weight of the bow. I use a 38# longbow for hunting and had taken deer with it. Always a complete pass thru. If the head is sharp it does the job not the bow.

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
10 grains per pound is a good starting point coupled with a good trad style 2 blade BH.. The ACE STD is my "go to" BH..

I generally do some experimenting with arrow weight to see what the bow likes.. listen to it and it will tell you the right weight arrow to use..
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
as others have mentioned, can't go much wrong with 10gpp as a starting point - then experiment down to 9gpp and up to 11gpp.  a long, narrow twin blade would have a good mechanical advantage for a 45# "powder charge".  ;)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline crookedwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
i try to stay at 9 gpp on all bows.and like stated above super sharp broadheads that fly good with your arrow set up.good luck finding what works best for your bow...chris

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
Two thoughts, first practically speaking "at 45#s heavy arrows will be difficult to shoot at any distance due to significant drop" does not pan out. Regardless whether you shoot 45#s or 60#s velocity and thus trajectory will be the same as long as draw weight/arrow weight ratios remain the same as in 45#s/540grain arrows or 60#s/720 grain arrows, both examples of "12 to 1" set-ups.  Secondly, you did not mention hunting but if that is the case I believe that a  majority of members here would suggest that 450-500 grain total weight out of your set-up would be very effective on deer and similar game.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
I shoot a about 10.9 gpp, 250/275# bear? Big Jim Buff about 43#s at my draw weight (same issue a bad shoulder. I have since move up to the 50's) 29 paces complete pass thru and about 30 yard recovery?

Pick your shot, Pick your spot with a super tuned arrow and a Sharp, Sharp, Sharp broadhead and go hunting    :)  

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
quote "At 45#'s heavy arrows will be difficult to shoot at any distant due to significant drop." unquote

Devil's advocate here.

Kinda depends on what "any distance" means to the bowhunter as well.

Turn back the pages of time a few decades and your "low poundage" bow would be at least the "norm" as still is for many old timers.

Why? Becuase they work at what most of us consider normal bowhunting ranges and generally we shoot them more accurately.

IMHO, the BIGGEST mistake a new trad archer, wheelie converts especially, make is too much bow.

Bow weight and draw length have been, again IMHO is a result of the wheelie genertion for the most part, heralded as something some feel they must have and I have sat by and watched archers draw WAY past what once was a normal anchor with bows at least 10 lbs more then they SHOULD shoot (going by the difficulty they had and poor groups).

A great many of them quit and went back to wheel bows.

I'm six foot and have drawn 28 inches for the entirety of my adult life (age 58)and one only has to look at collectable arrows to see that this length was pretty common.

Weigh a spine appropriate fiberglass arrow with standardly used heads from the past and recall that these WORKED for literally hundreds of thousands of hunters, yours truly included as well as literally every single one of my local buds.

I know, the younger generation will poo poo the thoughts and contemplations of us of LONG time bowhunting......yet know answer me this.

Why......when the past has shown us over and over and over again, that something worked, worked very well, and the majority of hunters used them 30-40 years ago taking uncountable numbers of big game....WHY is it that they are "now" minimal?

WHAT SINGLE FACTOR of that equation has changed?

The shooter.....

We have better arrow componants, even more efficient bows yet somehow??? the weights of yesteryear are labeled "borderline".

When "wondering what will or wont work" does not the recorded in many ways history of literally millions of game taken in the past not have credibility?

Am I putting DOWN the "bigger and faster is better" philosophy? Oh heck no. More is more yet let me say this.

"NORMAL" bowhunting ranges for most trad shooters is UNDER (mostly considerably under) 25 yards.

It will certainly WORK at longer ranges but the eye to eye, one on one confrontation is a great part of our sport, and at least to me, a good part of what bowhunting is all about, sans even the equipment we all love and share.

I've a new to me, 46lb longbow, same age as I that I have been blessed to find and purchase.

There does NOT EXIST a deer in the world that this bow will not CLEANLY take at ranges WAY beyond my capabilites.......and I will say I'm as good a long range bow shot as any I know locally (but hate saying so) but PREFER 20 and under shots.

Trajectory? What trajectory? I have said this many times and will many times more, probably just as fruitlessly, that if you shoot the same weight arrows for any length of time at various unknown ranges, trajectory is COMPLETELY moot. IGNORE IT.

Proof in said pudding is that I shoot 600+ grain arrows, some pushing 700 grains out of 42, 43 and will the above 46lber as well.

Slow? Probably. Trajectory? Probably a lot. Do I notice or "compensate" for such? Uhhh, no. Work? oh yes my friends IN SPADES.

Do I think YOU need to shoot such heavy arrows? Nope, stictly my preference and is such from seeing what truly heavy arrows give ME which is penetration even when many will tell me that "no it wont". Been there, done that. Enough said.

A decent head, a sharp one, on arrows far lighter than I WOULD SHOOT will "work" placed specifically FOR light weight arrows.

Pick the arrow weight YOU FEEL WILL WORK without much in the way of limitations and shoot them. A lot....at unknown distances. You will amaze, even yourself.

You will find them equally accurate given time practicing, at any range you choose to take hunting shots.

The old saying goes that it's a moot point what your arrow will do....if you cant hit the game animal properly. We all know this to be fact.

Just dont "decide" you cant shoot what you feel is a proper or as you said a weight that "will increase penetration" before giving them equal "air time".

Time and time again, IT SEEMS TO ME AND PERHAPS ONLY TO ME, (no offense intended) that those joining our ranks with a history of compound shooting try to take what they left and make trad archery INTO something similar with the same "trains of thought".

Dont.  You will not only fail, you will miss a great, great part of traditional bowhunting (simplicity!!) and frustrate yourself to your wit's end.

Decades ago, we walked into the local hardware/archery store and bought one of the many 45lb bows on display, grabbed arrows dubbed by the mfg to be spined for that weight and went hunting.

AMAZINGLY.....deer kept falling to our set ups year after year and often (guilty myself of doing too much calculating!!) wonder if that time was not,indeed, the peak of my traditional bowhunting life.

Well, my INTENTIONS were good here. Hopefully not taken in any other way.

God Bless
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
Guess someone needs to define "DISTANCE"....   :bigsmyl:  

I got no problem shooting to 30 yards with my 47 pound Sarrels R/D Blackhills II and 660 grain arrows.. Bow is so quite, a fellow told me this weekend that all he heard when I shot was the tap sliding off the string...   :thumbsup:
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
Many can lose interest and get lost due to all the rhetoric. Many of us delve in it due that that is what we do and is our extreme passion.

Keep it simple and once you establish solid form and understand and comfortable with arrow tuning, then you may wish to experiment.

Apparently, you are new to trad and I would doubt you have progammed in your mind specific site windows for specific ranges. Start with a well tuned 10-11 gpp arrow. Engrain in your mind the specific site windows until they are instintive. You may be satisfied and wish not experiment with anythingelse. You should then be confident going to the field with a sharp 2 blade BH.

Note: My best 3D score was with a 12 gpp arrow and the top score for the shoot.

Remember to keep it simple until your confidence and skill level possibly drive you to experiment.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
10-12 grains per pound of draw weight, whatever the draw weight is. Longbows are more efficient with heavier arrows, recurves may like them a little lighter.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline gto_guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
I shoot a 43lb checkmate with 35/55 goldtips and 175 grain broadhead.That`s 463 grains which is 11.5 gpp and it gets the job done on deer I`ve shot with it.I shoot the same arrow in 3d tournaments and shoot out to 35 yards without much loss in trajectory.I think thats plenty of an arrow for a lightweight bow.
62" Checkate Hunter II 43lbs at 28
64" Dry Ridge longbow 58lbs at 28
62" Vermillion River longbow 57lbs at 30
58" Lost Creek Life Ender 50lbs at 28

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
I shoot 47-50 pound D shaped longbows and usually shoot around a 550 grain arrow. I use Interceptors and woodsmans. Also like the Zwickey no-mercy head as well.Its mostly where you hit`em.RC

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
My wife is shooting 425 grains out of a 38#@26+" out of her Lost Creek NAT. That is way over 10 grains per pound, but with this bow she still has plenty of speed. Arrow speeds vary a lot from one kind of a bow to another.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
pamike,

I have two low poundage recurves which you can see in my signature and the poundages for each bow is lower than your 45# bow. This year, I'm going to a much lighter 421 grain, 2212 aluminum arrow setup out of each bow. Note the GPP (grains per pound) arrow for both of my bows.

What you can't see in my signature is the speed of the arrow. The 42# bow shoots the 2212 arrow at 185 fps and the 37# bow shoots the 2212 arrow at 174 fps.

With the 2212 arrow, both bows will easily kill deer, small feral pigs and javelina with a broadside lung shot at 15 yards and under.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
I currently shoot 660 grains out of my #46 @ 29" recurve. Yes they drop faster than a 400 grain arrow but if you get used to where they hit at your comfortable ranges they're just fine. I've only killed two hogs (#100 and #250ish) 3 deer and 1 turkey with this setup and have yet to have anything but pass throughs.

To each his own but I love this setup, and am taking it to Africa in about 4 weeks.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©