3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recommendations on 2 blade Broadhead  (Read 242 times)

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
Recommendations on 2 blade Broadhead
« on: July 03, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
What 2 blade heads have the best flight?  I prefer screw on heads and I have tried multiple heads with not alot of luck.  Zwickey style heads (solid face) have not been consistent.  I have found that 4 blade slick tricks fly great, but I not had luck with 2 blade heads.  I am willing to try a couple more, but before I spend a ton of money i thought i better get some help.

thanks
Mike
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recommendations on 2 blade Broadhead
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
Its odd that you cannot get a zwickey to fly good. IMO they are one of the best there is.

I would start looking at the set up you are shooting. I would think that your arrow and bow are not tuned togather. Did you bareshaft?

Could you please provide us with complete set up and specs so that can be looked at first?
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
Mike -
I've never had problems with Zwickey, Magnus or most any other two blade heads. What is your set up?
What is a 4 blade slick trick?
Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
Sounds to me like you may have a tuning issue with your setup. I've never seen a two blade head that wouldn't fly well out of a well tuned bow/arrow combo unless the head was crooked because of a problem from an insert/adapter installed off center.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline dixiearcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
I have both zwickeys and stos and I like both...I learned the hard way that if they are not seated perfectly straight they will not fly consistent...you can spin them on your hand or a table and if the arrow wobbles any then the head my be slightly crooked...hope this helps?
Preach the gospel, die, and be forgotten
-Count von Zinzendorf

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
jamesh76 is on track...  if your set up is wrong your blade choice won't matter much.

I personally use a helical fletch with a single bevel head.... right wing fletch with right wing bevel or left wing fletch with left wing bevel...  I like the idea of spin and I think it improves flight...  IMO
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
There are a lot of good ones and if your broadheads are mounted to spin true and your setup is truly tuned,any should fly well.

If you are mounting glue on heads I would highly recommend making a spinning jig.Pictured is the one I use but you can make a simple wood one with V blocks instead of rollers.This is way more precise than the way I used to spin and eyeball them.

The tuning method I use is found at  www.bowmaker.net

I'm currently using 200 gr Grizzlies and they fly very well but have to be mounted properly and tuned.I recheck for spin after missing or hitting an animal.

If you like screw in broadheads,there is a thread on the new one by VPA.It is CNC machined out of a solid bar of steel and they are known for high quality.

I would bet you could get those Zwickeys to fly really well if they were spinning properly and tuned for your bow.

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
Mike take a look at the ne Werewolf blades by Eclipse. They are just coming out but they look like a hell of a head for a screw on 2 blade. Are you spin testing yor heads? 2 blades should be about the easiest blade to get flying good. If you are using carbons or aluminum arrows with glue ons you have to remeber there is three seperate components that may be causeing some misalignment. One you have your blade, 2 you have your threaded outsert, 3 you have your insert a lot of little adjustments are needed and the only way is to spin test. Does that make sense. I also always true up the face of my arrow. If you have all this correct then you can look elsewhere like arrow spine. But if your not true with your arrow it will be impossible to rule out other issues. Hope this helps. But by choseing a machined broadhed that is a screw on will help with trueing up.
Scott
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
STOS and Zwickey and Ecllpse fly as goof as any and that means perfect.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
Similar experience w/Zwickey screw-ins on aluminums. MOF, several 2-blade & multi-blade heads planed, dipped, & darted bad before I discovered spin testing. Balanced heads will fly straight like balanced wheels on a car. Guarantee not the bh's fault. PM for more.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
tune the BH.. If Your using wood shafts, heat the head and tune it get a little.. Let it cure and shot it, If it still isn't flying right re-peat. With Alumn and carbons turn the insert and do the same as with the wood...

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
I totally agree shot zwicky's of over 20 years never seen one that would'nt fly. You have to have and inlinement or set up issue.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
If your buying screw in heads, it may be the glue junction of the insert and broadhead is off. Heat it up, and re do it yourself
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »
setup and/or tune is poor... I regularly tune 200 grain ACE 2 blades to fly on wooden arrows.. no reason that they wouldn't fly well on a carbon if the spine is correct for the bow, your release is clean, your nock height is correct and the BH is straight to the shaft..
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
I have accurately spin tested. Just simple check on hand. Since slick tricks fly - I bet the 2 blade heads I have were not built straight. I think I am going to find some one piece (wo blade heads and spin test first.

Thanks for your help
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
That was supposed to say NOT accurately spin tested.
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
Any well made 2 blade should fly very well, but I prefer a Magnus Stinger.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »
a wide 2blade that flys good= zephyr sasquach
The older I get the better I was

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
I`ll take all the crooked Zwickeys you have ...RC

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
A simple check in the hand isn't nearly as accurate as a spinning jig.It can detect a point off 1/64" and show you exactly where it is off.I spun them for decades but the jig showed me they weren't as precise as I thought.I still think the Zwickeys should work if the setup is tuned.

I tiny little vented broadhed may fly OK when tune is off.A larger,solid blade broadhead will point out that something is wrong.People tune stone points to fly well, as well as large 1 1/2" 3 blades.If not properly tuned,penetration will suffer,as well as accuracy.A lot of people have great luck with Zwickeys.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©