3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: whats your draw length?  (Read 768 times)

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
whats your draw length?
« on: July 03, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
i was surprised to find that my draw is only 26". i'm a big guy at 6'1". this is using my bbo and measuring from the nock groove to the back of the bow. i know amo measuring method is nock groove to throat of of riser plus 1 3/4". even using that method my draw is less than 28". using amo method on the same bow my draw is 26 1/4". if a person were to order a custom bow, how do you figure your draw? does the bowyer tell you how he wants you to measure your draw based on his design? i was just very suprised to find out, that for my size, my draw is that short. don

Offline 1kwikstik

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: whats your draw length?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
I'm 5' 7" my draw is 27". Always measured mine from nock to deepest part of the grip.
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others lasts forever.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline coltar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
I measure from bottom of string groove on nock to back of bow.Add 3/4"-1" for arrow length.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
28" back of bow to nock grove.... I'm 5'7"

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
I'm only 5'9" tall, but I've got long arms for my height which makes me a knuckle dragger. With that said, my draw length is 30" to the front of the arrow shelf (farthest from me). I then add 2" of arrow length to keep a razor sharp broadhead from touching the knuckles of my hand that holds the bow out in front of the arrow shelf at full draw.

With a normal bow, not a forward handle or the deep convex handle of a horse bow, it's easy to find your draw length. I measure my draw length to the front of the shelf.

Just take a clothes pin and attach it vertically where the total length of the clothes pin is under your full length arrow shaft about 9" from the tip of the arrow shaft.

As you draw the arrow shaft, when the vertical clothes pin touches the front of the shelf (farthest from you), it will keep sliding forward and stop sliding forward when you come to your anchor point. Then, just measure from the valley of the arrow nock to the clothes pin and that's your draw length. Do it a few times to get a consistent draw length.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Night Wing:

Just take a clothes pin and attach it vertically where the total length of the clothes pin is under your full length arrow shaft about 9" from the tip of the arrow shaft.

As you draw the arrow shaft, when the vertical clothes pin touches the front of the shelf (farthest from you), it will keep sliding forward and stop sliding forward when you come to your anchor point. Then, just measure from the valley of the arrow nock to the clothes pin and that's your draw length. Do it a few times to get a consistent draw length.
That's how I do it...

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »
29 3/4".......I keep my arrows all at 30 1/2".

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
we all have different body types and that is what it comes down to i suppose. night wing, thats the way i measure mine sort of. i draw my bow with an arrow shaft. my wife stands to the side and uses a marker to mark the shaft at the end of the shelf at the back of the bow. i do it several times to make sure it's consistant. i was just suprised to find that it's only 26" and i'm 6'1". but... if i do that with my bear grizzly it will be longer. the one thing that does remain consistant, no matter what bow you use, is the measurement from the nock groove to the deepest part of the grip. for me that is 24 1/2". i usally use my bbo so i measure my draw the way you do. don

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
don s,  I'd sure like to see a picture of you at full draw.  26" is really short for a 6' 1" person.  HH artificially shortened his draw to 28" and he was 6'1" too.  I'm 6' 2" and use a 29.5" draw.  Just saying...
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »
I'm 6'0" and draw 31".   I don't have especially long arms, but I like to draw deep.  My 6'1" brother draws 32".  Measured nock groove to back of bow.

Archie
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Steve95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
30".  I like my arrows long in case you have to reach back for a little extra on longer shots. I can make a lot of sizes work, when a charge is on you can't be picky!

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 05:09:00 PM »
I'm 6'2" and only draw 27". It used to drive me nuts thinking I needed to change my anchor and I would get more power out of a longer draw. Now I dont worry bout it. I tend to lean into the shot but I'm consistant that way.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Lincoln Ribeiro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
I'm a short guy, only 5' 8", and my draw lenght is 29". Measured from the groove of the nock to the back of the riser. The question is not how tall you are, but your wingspan. My wingspan is 72", it's longer than may height.
``Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.'' [S. Beckett]

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob W.:
I'm 6'2" and only draw 27". It used to drive me nuts thinking I needed to change my anchor and I would get more power out of a longer draw. Now I dont worry bout it. I tend to lean into the shot but I'm consistant that way.
i was always wondering what i was doing wrong and thinking mine should be longer. i have tried different anchor points in an effort to increase my draw. i can do it but it's uncomfortable and my accuracy suffers. i think my accuracy has suffered long enough. don

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
I am 5ft 10in.  I draw 29.5" with my recurves and 28.5" with my longbows.

Offline fivebears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
I was drawing 27.5" but noticed I was consistantly shooting to the left.I was anchoring my thumb to my earlobe and index finger on my cheek with nose on cock feather.I shortened my draw by anchoring my thumb under my jaw bone and my index finger in the corner of my mouth,which gave me better alignment and brought my point of impact inline with my line of sight.I don'y know how much draw length I've lost,I haven't measured it yet.

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Lincoln Ribeiro:
I'm a short guy, only 5' 8", and my draw lenght is 29". Measured from the groove of the nock to the back of the riser. The question is not how tall you are, but your wingspan. My wingspan is 72", it's longer than may height.
wingspan is a good point. i'll measure mine. don

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
I'm 5'-10" and draw 30-3/4". That's from nock groove to back of riser. I cut it real close using MFX 500's...only 31" full length.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »
I'm sure my form and anchor are not anywhere near what would be perfect. When the shot counts though I always end up with bow tip at about 2 oclock, leaned into the shot a bit and the first knuckle of my thumb under my ear.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline rick7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
i am 6'1 and have a draw of 28 inches

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©