3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bows not shooting where you look?  (Read 472 times)

Offline Traddict

• Trad Bowhunter
Bows not shooting where you look?
« on: July 04, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
I have a go to bow that I shoot pretty well.  Shot another bow a few days ago, and shot it well, but hit about 6" to the rt at about 18 yards.  Grouped very well with it, but everything to the rt.  Both arrow setups were flying very well.  Is there a way to tune the second bow to hit where I look?  I know you would eventually adjust, but I'm not interested in that.  I would like to be able to pick up either bow and still be on.  Thanks in advance.

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bows not shooting where you look?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
You need to bareshaft tune the 2nd bow. If you are RT handed and hitting right you are underspined.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
You can change strike plate thickness but it will make the arrow spine react differently. It usally only takes me a few shots to adjust. If I'm going to switch between longbow and recurve during season I shoot the day before I hunt and a few when I get out of the truck. I also practice only with broadheads when season gets near.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
I have two 66" Blacktail recurves, but the poundage is different on both of them. They both have the same brace height, shoot the same length arrow, the same point weight, the shelf of both bows are cut 3/16" past center with the side plate thickness being 1/16".

Are both of your bows the same model and length? Are you shooting the same arrow length and point weight? Is your side plate the same thickness? Is your brace height the same?

For a right handed bow where the arrows are consistently shooting to the right, it's a sign of a weak arrow.

Two solutions. One is to lower the point weight. But, if you want to shoot the same point weight, lower the brace height.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
Assuming you are a RH shooter, it is possible that the new bow has the shelf cut to or past centershot, and the other bow is not cut in as far.  Many longbows are not cut to centership, while many recurves are cut to or past centershot.

You could build out the sideplate of the new bow until it impacts the same place as the old bow.  This may require you to use a weaker arrow shaft.

To further fine tune, a stiffer side plate, such as leather, will move the arrow impact to the left, while a softer sideplate, such as a rug rest, will move the arrow impact to the right.  But this fine tuning won't make a 6" difference at 18 yards.

If it were me, I would pick the bow I like the best and make the adjustments to the other bow, because the bow will probably perform best the way it was designed.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »
+2 on what McDave and Nightwing said.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »
It could be brace height.......

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
+3
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
If it were me, I would cut me some shims out of double sided carpet tape. It is much easier to fix my bows that shoot right of where I'm looking. I have a lot harder time correcting the ones that impact left of where I'm looking.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
Ditto with everyone above!
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Great advice has been presented.

Further information may be required in order to narrow down the possibilities.

Are you shooting right or left handed?

You may consider providing the following info:

Previous bow make, shelf cut-out, specs, actual draw and arrow specs. Was this set-up bare shaft tuned?

New bow make, shelf cut-out, specs, actual draw and arrow specs. Was this set-up bare shaft tuned?

The guidance, which the gentlemen have already provided you, comes from years of considerable experience. Confidence in their responses is a very high level and only handicapped since the advice is provided from afar.

Best of luck!!!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
There is not a bow in the world that can specifically shoot where you personally look. If you find one that does such a thing, set your hooks in it and never let it go. Truth makes "you" adapt to the bow,not the other way. No bow can "know" where you individually look, so you HAVE to adapt....like it or not. They are all different, as are we!
David M. Conroy

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
Some bows will just point and shoot better for you than others. Its sometimes a matter of hand and grip fit and alignment. Bows that dont shoot well for me just dont get bought.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
I have several bows that I shoot in a more or less rotation. Sometimes I will shoot one right on with the first shot, but it usually takes several arrows before my mind makes the adjustment.

Getting all my recurves and longbows to hit where I look could get real crazy real quick. I think I would be mentally making the adjusment before I could physically change the rest.

I look at nothing other than the spot I want to hit. I guess if you used an aiming system of some type it would be possible to make adjustments to the bow.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 01:16:00 AM »
All the bows I own and I have owned shoot where I look but a couple.....due to being cut way past center.  I liked the bows and the way they shot.....so I just built out the side plate so they too shoot where I look.  And I am a right hander.

The ones I am referring to shot the same as yours. ....to the right.  Never shot a bow that shot to the left but a few selfbows.

I think it is very typical for most bows to shoot where you look if you are an avid shooter that has matched equipment .
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 07:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by YORNOC:
There is not a bow in the world that can specifically shoot where you personally look. If you find one that does such a thing, set your hooks in it and never let it go. Truth makes "you" adapt to the bow,not the other way. No bow can "know" where you individually look, so you HAVE to adapt....like it or not. They are all different, as are we!
Bingo.  These threads make me crazy.  An untuned arrow may shoot left or right of a tuned arrow; but ultimately it's the grey matter between your ears that determines where that arrow goes.  If a tuned arrow hits right; it's only because you need to aim left.  If shot from a machine, different bows will likely hit different points.  Its all about your brain, not the simple stick and string.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
Swamp Yankee,  I think your saying that Traddick brain is wrong and his bow is right.  I disagree.  I'm a gapper and had a long bow that I shot for 3 years - at 20 yards it shot 6 inches to the right - great arrow flight BH's shot through paper.  My brain did not adjust.  I finally took a rasp to the bow window and bango it move over the 6 inches with the same great bullet (BH) hole through paper.

My brain is never wrong WHEN IT COMES TO BOWS AND ARROWS, I adjust them to meet my needs.  A "simple stick and string" is easier to adjust than "the grey matter between your ears".

As stated, moving an arrow impact to the left for a RIGHT handed shooter is much easier.  I use a stick match ain if it's too much I cut it in half.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
I have figured out that some bows need a bit more or less "Cant" to put the arrow where I want it to go at 30 yards...a little more or less "cant" really made a difference to my shooting....but then again that is on a long bow that is not cut to center so Im not really rotating around the axis of the bow when I change "cant " in the longbow world.

Anyway try it: right for right and left for left...its the quickest adjustment you can make while shooting.
Craig Ekins;
70" -60LB "Robin Hood",string follow  #47 of 50. LE
68" -70Lb Redman, string follow all YEW. "Yewlogy"
68" -75Lb@28. 3 lam Boo. String Follow- "LegendStick"

Ron Maulding : 68" Big Horn , Boo and Osage. 78#@27.

David Miller: Old Tom

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
Actually I can't imagine having to adjust to every bow I own every time I picked up a different one.  I got a dozen and I can pick them up one shot at a time and they all shoot where I look.  I have demonstrated this many times before for folks showing what matched equipment will do.....along with proper alignment.

I can choose any of my recurves or longbows and go hunt without any 'having to adjust' shots.

I would not own a bow that didn't shoot where I was looking. ....whether I adjusted / tuned it or not.......again, all of.my bows shoot where I look and most  did so 'out of the box'.

If I had a.dozen bows that all shot different places other than where I was looking???....Now THAT would drive me crazy!!!     :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Traddict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. My goto bow is 1/8 inch before center including side plate. The second bow is cut too or just past center. I don't own the second bow. I was considering buying it, but have no desire to have several bows that I have to adjust to each time.  Sounds like I need to try building the side plate out a little on the second bow. Terry, what you describe is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks again.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©