3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trying to understand ILF  (Read 609 times)

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
Trying to understand ILF
« on: July 04, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
What are the pros and cons ?
    Pete
"Never to old to learn something new"

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trying to understand ILF
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
Not as traditional. But gives you the option of inter changing limbs of a wide variety. ILF can be very advantageous if still experimenting with your form/needs. If you shoot a certain bow extremely well......you may not need the change.
You can experiment with different limb lengths and materials( foam core, design, carbon, exotic veneer} while keeping a certain riser length. But if you have never shot different riser lengths....you need to try those as well. I found through LOTS of money and time that I shoot longer risers much more effectively. 25" being my go to. With 66" to 70" limbs. I am not normal however,as many can  back me on that one! ILF limbs can be readily available, and you can usually sell limbs that dont work for you fairly quickly..
David M. Conroy

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
Pros -- universal limb interchangeability with a wide range of limbs available, small draw weight adjustability (3-5#), tiller adjustability.  Cons.  I don't like the way the limbs flop around in the limb pockets in an unstrung bow.  All the adjustability can be a con for the mechanically challenged. A few others, but these are the main ones.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
If you want to mess around with tuning and such the possibility's are end less. If you have something that works for you and you are happy....may not be the way to go. I have a couple of bows that I really shoot well on any given day, but I just started to fool around with a Morrison riser and 2 set of Trad Tech limbs ,just to experiment. I'm having fun with it! Enjoy what ever you decide!   :thumbsup:    :goldtooth:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
Pros
So far the most accurate setup I've shot.
Love the ability to switch limbs, longbow, recurve, limb length, limb weight.

Cons
Oh lord the amount of choices it can make you dizzy, especially when you start mixing manufacturers.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
Performance is better for me. I can set the preload on the  limb to get the maximum from a particular limb. My wife shoots 45# @ 26".  With her DAS bow and ILF limbs I can set up a bow for her that will outshoot some of my upper end custom recurves at 10-15#'s heavier weight that shoot best at 28". For me a good bow has got to be a performer. ILF limbs are the best in the world and to be able to  hunt with them is just awesome.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
You can tune the bow to the arrow vs the arrow to the bow. Once tuned absolutely deadly if you don't need a pretty bow to hunt with. However that being said I'm partial to my Schafer then it would be the ACS and then the ILF. I like them all.
Personal preference.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
ILf limbs have so much money poured into R&D, custom bowyers could never afford it. The most easily tunable set up imaginable, and the most effiecent limbs, pound for pound are some of the TT Carbonwoods. I used to be a wood snob, now all my go to bows are metal ILF risers, and my old faithful Quinns. I believe the 19"-21" riser is the most forgiving, and the 17" a close third. Also, 2x what Bill and Longstick said above. The main con, is you can tinker yourself to death, and when continually changing, you never get your form for the bow down pat. I have a set of limbs that adjust up#4, so I start off shooting light, then increase # as I get closer to hunting season, that way, I work on my form, and shoot and hit better as a hunter.
samuel koger

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »
Come on with the comment "not as traditional" sorry but it irks me.!! No different than 3 piece T/D bow if you want to shoot off the shelf, only thing is you can get a huge array of limbs for an ILF. Their are many risers out there that you could not tell they were ILF unless you looked at the ends of the riser!  You can also make it super easy to tune if you so choose, but not as Traditional BS!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 05:49:00 AM »
There are no cons to it.The lack of handshock and the adjustabilty make the system just about perfect.

I swore by my Schafer recurve(And still love it),but my Morrison ILF is my go to now.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 06:45:00 AM »
love 'em or leave 'em, ilf's are still stick bows.  to each their own.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Claymore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 07:54:00 AM »
They are also a Godsend for those of us without the big bucks.
Don Dow 37@30
HH Cougar 38@30
Hoyt Excel 38@30

Offline Jeff Mundy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
The main thing for me is the price of limbs & the lack of a wait time to get them. Not too mention that they shoot with the best of them.

Offline dadto2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
I agree with Shawn real tired of hearing that..Even if one decides to shoot a elevated rest they did back in the day. why not if it makes u shoot better is that not our goal??ILF
is not for everyone there are a ton of options
but you can custom tune the bow to you and have alot more arrow choices.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Claymore:
They are also a Godsend for those of us without the big bucks.
I will have to agree on the money end, watch the classifieds for a riser to your like'n and a set of limbs. Next thing you know you have a top notch bow that you can adjust till the cows come home.....and do it for $400 or less. That's pretty cool!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Sal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
I recently got my first ilf bow and like posted above, the only thing I didn't like was the floppy limbs.  Other than that, its the fastest bow I've ever shot, and it shoots!

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
If it is shot instinctually it is traditional!  Just learned this from Semo and had to throw it in there.

I recently sold my Morrison ILF and the big drawback to me was potential problems in the field.  Plungers, springs, set screws, adjustable limbs, just a bit more complicated than I wanted to really rely on.

A 3D shoot or target archery, which I believe is the venue of origin of the ILF concept seems more fitting to me.  But I don't hunt out of a treestand either.

Great shooters, nice idea, not my cup of tea.

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline shadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
Shooting instinctively has nothing to do with "Traditional". Guys were useing sights long before the mechanical bow days. Back when it was just "archery" and there was no "Traditional".

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
I backdown with grace...  The concept is one that we as a group apparently have many views and oppinions on.  Lets not highjack this good man's ILF thread. ~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
Please don't take this as a slight or an insult to those that use ILF's. In my opinion if ain't got wheels and cables, and a letoff its a traditional bow. That being said its a "to each his own" situation.  I don't like playing with all the adjustable stuff, (its half the reason I left the wheels behind a long time ago).  Now, if you like to tinker they are awesome.  My cousin just switched to them and he is a confirmed Gear Head. He likes to fool around with anything to get the best performance. I'd rather be shooting a bow that I only had to tune arrows for and let'em fly.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©