3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trying to understand ILF  (Read 608 times)

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trying to understand ILF
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
Sorry wrong thread.
BIll

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
It don't get much simpler than string it up and shoot it. You don't even need a wrench to put the limbs on. Tune it the same way you do it now if you choose.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »
Set it and forget it. Can't be any easier.
 Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 02:13:00 AM »
Shoot mine off the shelf,love it.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
Well I just boought an ILF set up. Will let you know how it works out.
     Pete
"Never to old to learn something new"

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
What exactly justifys a bow being ILF? I don't even know what ILF stands for. Just curious. Not trying to say it's bad or nothing. I guess I am just a little sheltered is all. I clicked on this thread hoping to find out what it actually is. Thanks, Mike.
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
ILF = International Limb Fitting  
I wont be using plungers and such, just shoot of the shelf like I have been for 40 years. Why Iam trying it out is because I have a very shorrrtttt draw length, 24 1/4"  and in my thinking (when I think I usually get in trouble)   I should be able to tune this bow more to my draw length. This will be a learning process.
"Never to old to learn something new"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
Good luck on your quest.....just remember ,have fun and take your time working it all out!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Carbonkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
after shooting one Morrison metal ilf...i sold every bow i own...even my bowfishing setup. they were all replace by morrison 13" and 15" metal risers. so cool to be able to get performance out of a short bow with a short draw length like i have( 26"). no cons for me!

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
I really think the ILF is a cool idea, and it certainly has tons of application.  However the majority of my hunts are fly-in and should something go astray you would need tools.  Allen wrench and screwdriver if not mistaken.  The whole concept of tune it and leave it alone makes sense for hunting the back 40, but for fly-in trips I like to take down my bow and consolidate it with other items.  My concern was re-assembling the bow at destination and have to go through the tunning process again.  Not to mention coming through a nasty alder stand and have your string pulled off a nock.

Unbraced ILF limbs seemed very unstable, kinda like they need that tension from the string to seat securely. My experience is however very limited and maybe I didn't understand the proper assembly, but it seemed to me the chances of something going astray were exponentially higher with ILF.  Loved those mocassin skinned foam cores though!

Once dropped off a guy with a $2000.00 Hoyt Carbon matrix and the alders pulled one of his cables off a cam.  Without a bow press he was sitting right where I had dropped him 8hrs later.  Had beachcombed all day...

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline Koko Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
The pro for me was that I shot one at Comptons and liked it.  I liked it even better with the XL limbs vs the longs.  I liked that I could adjust the weight by about +- 5#.  I have a good set up and do not see buying other limbs.  I also wanted a takedown (that I seldom takedown) but could if I wanted to.  I liked the physical weight which was lighter than my Great Plains.  I can also get longbow limbs if I choose.  Bottom line is I chose the bow because I loved the wood options and the ability that I could change limbs but I have not in over a year.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! ~ Psalm 17

Dryad Epic

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
I am new to the ILF scene.  Just got my 1st Morrison ILF from Bob Walker.  I love it.  You have to tune it like any other bow with the brace height.  After that it's as simple as stringing it up.  Same tools as a takedown...an Allen Wrench and a bow square.  That's it.

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2011, 04:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Chromebuck:
I really think the ILF is a cool idea, and it certainly has tons of application.  However the majority of my hunts are fly-in and should something go astray you would need tools.  Allen wrench and screwdriver if not mistaken.  The whole concept of tune it and leave it alone makes sense for hunting the back 40, but for fly-in trips I like to take down my bow and consolidate it with other items.  My concern was re-assembling the bow at destination and have to go through the tunning process again.  Not to mention coming through a nasty alder stand and have your string pulled off a nock.

Unbraced ILF limbs seemed very unstable, kinda like they need that tension from the string to seat securely. My experience is however very limited and maybe I didn't understand the proper assembly, but it seemed to me the chances of something going astray were exponentially higher with ILF.  Loved those mocassin skinned foam cores though!

Once dropped off a guy with a $2000.00 Hoyt Carbon matrix and the alders pulled one of his cables off a cam.  Without a bow press he was sitting right where I had dropped him 8hrs later.  Had beachcombed all day...

~CB
CB, if you take an ILF bow down and put it back together you do not need to retune. You simply just clip the limbs in (no different to bolting them on a TD), string the bow and away you go. All you normally need tool wise is two different size Allen wrenches, one more then a TD.

As for the string getting dragged off the nock, this is no different in an ILF bow or TD. Simply restring and off you go.

The limbs unstrung are lose but this causes absolutley no problems. I do a bit of backpack hunting into some pretty rough country and all I carry now is an ILF bow.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/user/BowBuildersGroup?feature=mhum

This should answer some of the questions about ILF and what it takes to assemble the bow.
Bill

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
Thank you Bill that was awesome and showed me that I had done wrong in assembling the bow.  At first assembly my top limb bent to the right severely???  I was perplexed but figured out the lateral set screws and got that into alignment.

I tried to adjust the detent screw (hence my screwdriver comment) and it was only holding by a few threads.  When I pulled the limb off it was not threaded and the spring loaded piece (I previously called a plunger) fell off and the spring shot out onto the floor.  Thats when I said no thanks.  I never received any tutoring on that bow and I desperately needed it.  Given the amount of the limbs alone I am a bit sore about that entire experience and perhaps that has swayed my objectivity on ILF as a reliable field instrument.  Now I see Bob's new ILF limbs don't even have that detent screw exposed.

***EDIT***
Now, with that said, had I entered the woods with the bow strung and I pulled a string off a knock from a trip and snag scenario and that detent screw was like I had it I would have possibly been without a bow.  

Respectfully submitted,

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
No problem.We need to get back on the video's.IT is a great way to introduce alot of folks to ILF that would otherwise shy away simply because they are unfamiliar with the system.It is really quite simple.One thing is for sure though,We need a better looking model!!!  :biglaugh:  
Bill

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »
ILF  love them. I have 2 Morrison risers and should have a Zipper coming my way real soon. They are so simple to use. Easy to tune. Want a recurve, pop limbs on in less than 5 seconds, want a longbow do the same in 5 seconds. Want to change the tiller, then you can do it with the limbs on in seconds. As far as durability I would not worry taking the bow hunting anywhere. Want an elevated rest then use one. I prefer shooting with velcro off the shelf with a short plunger on my Morrison metal risers. Want to adjust the pre-load it only takes seconds. Once you have it like you like if you travel just snap off the limbs in 1 or 2 seconds and off you go, no tools needed. If you have not tried it don't nock it because a while back I had no interest at all and then said what the heck I will give it a try and boy am I glad I did.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©