3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dream Hunts  (Read 518 times)

Offline blacktailchaser

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dream Hunts
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »
most people want to hunt far away places...i just want move back to Montana and shoot a doe with one of the bows i made...thats my dream..john

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2011, 07:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by buckeye_hunter:
I don't know that anyone that hasn't been on a dream hunt can appreciate the impact or gravity of the hunt.

Only after having been on a dream hunt at BQ5 did I realize the impact it had on me and my life.

There were some very emotional moments that I will always have for myself. While I shared nearly every detail and thought
I had, there were some things about it that will always remain personal and unsaid. They are moments that every hunter should experience for themself. No one can tell you how to feel when you realize a dream......
X2!   :thumbsup:
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
Yukon Moose, Alaskan Bear and New Mexico Elk...my bucket list

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2011, 02:24:00 PM »
I think I would start out with the least expensive hunt which would be a DIY fair chase hunt for pigs somewhere down south. After that it's time to head to Canada. First for Caribou in Quebec or Labrador. Then Black bear in Quebec, New Brunswick or Ontario. I'll top everything off with a two week trophy Moose hunt in the Yukon.

Whaaa...What!?...No, I don't wanna wake up!
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
ELK in Colorado in 2011, oh yea, I'm going with you John   :wavey:    :campfire:    :coffee:  Looking forward to a great hunt.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
Africa!But i think I will wait until the wife and kids can go.Been dreaming of that all my life.Alaska too.But after working a fishing boat there when i was younger,it doesnt seem as urgent.Beautiful place.
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
The very first post says it well - figure out a way and go!

I had the itchy feet for a while and did some of my dream faraway hunts - buffalo in Oz, muskox in the NWT, caribou, moose. I've hunted in 14 states now and 4 Canadian provinces.  Been to Alaska.  I did that by the time I was 35 yrs old and while I do make a good living and we don't have any gravysloppers (kids), we are by no means rich and are sitting smack in the middle of middle class.  We work hard (both the wife and I) she has her interests and I have my one (hunting, of course!).  She's VERY supportive of that.  We are both pretty frugal by nature and you'd be amazed how the hunting fund builds up when you don't eat out much, go to movies, smoke, drink etc etc.  Too busy working for that kind of stuff!

Currently I just want to focus pretty hard on the whitetails around here in the midwest and spend as much time as I can hunting with my buddy from Montana.  We hunt real good together and a couple weeks a year in his elk camp seem pretty special to me right now.

Of course most guys (myself included) can't afford Stone sheep or multispecies Yukon hunts, but the more realistic dream hunts are well within the grasp of most folks.  Make the "sacrifices" - if you call them that - to scratch together the dough and just go.

I've never talked to an old bowhunter that told me he wished he went on LESS hunts when he was young enough to do it!

Ryan

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
Very true Ryan.  I keep telling my wife if she were to quit drinking we could cut our bill in half.  She just gives me that look, I'm sure you all get it too from your better halves.  We all are very fortunate to have understanding mates.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2011, 05:56:00 AM »
Northwest British Columbia moose 2013 or 2014.

Hogs at Ray Hammonds or Shiloh Ranch 2012.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
All though my biggest dream turned reality was to move out west have my horses and be able to hunt in the back country for elk. I am totaly satisfied with the number of species Wy has to offer but!!!! I have always dreamed of hunting Alsaka for Moose floating a river. If it never happens I will be ok with that for I get to do what many other people consider there dream hunt. May be I could trade some one dream hunts?
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Online Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
I agree with Ryan - the first post says it well. While I haven't had as broad a base of experiences as Ryan I have made a few trips. My wife and I both worked (retired now) and raised 2 kids. We live in a modest house and don't go out or entertain much. I've managed to hunt 11 states, including Alaska. I've also hunted Africa for plains game.
My dream hunt is the next one I go on, but I really would like to do Grizzly with my longbow.
Keep em Sharp!

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
Moose. Somewhere....
Got wood? - Tom

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
Elk anywhere, cow or bull. Bull would be a dream, cow would be something I can maybe do someday.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »
Cold weather DIY Roosevelts. Next, New Zealand Red Stag.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
In addition to annual whitetails here, will be elk hunting in Montana this year and bear hunting in my home state next year.  That would leave 2013 for the caribou hunt I've always wanted to go on.  Better get cracking.  Will be 67 by that time.

Offline Tony B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
A month ago I would have said a moose hunt! But after 29 years I've finally drew a moose tag in my home State of Maine! I started bowing hunting in the Late 80's as a teenager,And i've dreamed of hunting one with a bow everytime i saw one! I am on cloud nine! But someday i would like to hunt out west, Africa, Canada for Caribou. Oh ya did i say MOOSE!!!!!!
ME GUIDE
Widows
PMAX
PCHX
>>>------->

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2011, 07:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by Scott Teaschner:
All though my biggest dream turned reality was to move out west have my horses and be able to hunt in the back country for elk. I am totaly satisfied with the number of species Wy has to offer but!!!! I have always dreamed of hunting Alsaka for Moose floating a river. If it never happens I will be ok with that for I get to do what many other people consider there dream hunt. May be I could trade some one dream hunts?
You should read Bow Hunting Alaskas Wild Rivers by Jay Massey. You will really get fired up for a float trip!
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2011, 07:50:00 AM »
Tony, we can wait to follow you along on your dream moose hunt!

Offline JEFFRO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
my dad went to his grave wanting to go to canada fish'n, never took the time & money,
1 week before he died we were talk'n and he told me not to make the same mistake. WELL,  
after talk'n to mark horne at the t.s.l.c. this year.  we's go'n elk hunt'n in N.M. the 2nd week and man oh man,  I PUMPED.

jeffro

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
Elk, moose, caribou...basically anything that you have to pack in for. Elk being the top of the list, I would love to spend a couple of weeks in the back country chasing bugles.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©