3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how did u get into trad  (Read 820 times)

Offline marsniper27

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how did u get into trad
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
I admired my mothers ben pearson hunter that she inherited from her father. IT being 45# I couldn't even string it but later found my fathers old fiberglass bow from when he was younger and started shooting that. Now i have my grandfathers bow and that is what i shoot and hope to take my first deer with.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
Had made numerous stick bows as a child and then my uncle gave me a Little Bear recurve in 1969 at age eleven.

Possibly one of the greatest material gifts I have ever received.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
Got plain old tired of puttin the thing on the thing and pullin the thing.

Patrick
Craig Ekins;
70" -60LB "Robin Hood",string follow  #47 of 50. LE
68" -70Lb Redman, string follow all YEW. "Yewlogy"
68" -75Lb@28. 3 lam Boo. String Follow- "LegendStick"

Ron Maulding : 68" Big Horn , Boo and Osage. 78#@27.

David Miller: Old Tom

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
i started shooting a bow in p.e. class,the bug hit me even if it was a cheap fiberglass bow.within a few weeks was my bday and told everyone i wanted money for a compound,well i got it for christmas instead.I was 12,at 15 my dad sent me some money for christmas and i bought a used shakespeare recurve.ive always had a longbow or recurve laying around,then i seen october whitetails and thats all it took....thanks barry,my wife hates you...lol
i like biscuits

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
my compound bow has too many gadgets....all things that can break. there's just something about the simplicity and smooth lines of a trad bow.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
In the fifties my dad was stationed in St Louis and we lived on Natural Bridge and Lindbergh. The other corner had a company called Hoyt. Earl sold me a defective kid long bow for seventy five cents.  They taught me to be safe. Sold me arrows for fifteen cents. I was hooked.....
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
I grew up shooting a compound.  One day while hunting moose in the interior of Alaska I had a slam dunk shot on a 50"+ bull.....only to be let down at the moment of truth by one of the gadgets on my bow malfunctioning.  From that point on I began to realize that "simpler is better" and not long after I began shooting a recurve.  

....Now, where'd that moose go....?  :dunno:
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 11:25:00 PM »
I shot compounds for years. Five years ago, a friend made me a hickory self-bow.  That was it! Since then, I've purchased several custom longbows and recurves.  I always did my own work on my compounds, but love the simplicity of setting up and tuning my traditional equipment.  Shooting traditional is so enjoyable and relaxing, plus I've met some really great people.
The work praises the man.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011, 11:34:00 PM »
Started shooting compounds.
Did that for 17yrs.
The last deer I shot with a compound I didn't feel the "rush". .. I thought "WHOA" I need to do something Different!

I decided I wanted to shoot the shortest recurve I could find. I wanted to rig it up with compound type sights, shoot a release. Basically wanted to do-dad up a recurve.

I bought my first trad bow ( herters perfection 46..used a 40" string )

Quickly found out there wasn't room to mount sights, the release aid made tons of noise..etc

Started using a tab with a bare bow and got hooked.

Found out too that it was too short for me to shoot well.

Anyway, I'm a few bows into the experience.
I've learned I like longbows..well a 62" savannah if you call that a longbow. Just like the non limb contacting string.

I'm really hooked.
Nice to know and truly understand what is happening from beginning of shot to the end. I never had that with a compound.

Gotta love it!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »
Never really got away from it

It is what I started with tried compouds but just never took a liking to them
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »
That's all there was in the 50's.

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2011, 01:01:00 AM »
honestly I got into it because people told me it was to hard.
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline newell38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2011, 06:50:00 AM »
Had an old ameican archery baracuda when I was 8 then my dad bought me an old 64 kodiak outta the bargain finder when I was 12 and before we knew it we had about 10 old bears, indians, and ben pearsons on the rack. I shot a coumpound maybe twice in my life. I never had any interest in them. I've been shootin recurves and lbs for 21 years now! Real archery not trad archery!
"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
Endless loop strings, heavy bows, and wood and only wood arrows...my kind of archery!

Offline jcp161

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2011, 06:53:00 AM »
I started shooting my Dad's old Saunders recurve ten years ago with the intent of taking it on the hunt we never went on. He had died ten years before that. Hunted with that bow but never took a game animal with it. I've been shooting trad ever since.
"In bow hunting, the goal is not marksmanship but shooting well. And shooting well, after all, is merely a matter of only taking shots you can make."-Hunting from Home-Christopher Camuto

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2011, 07:25:00 AM »
Starting shooting in 1952 with my Sundy School teacher and been shooting and bowhunting ever since.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »
My grandpa passed on 2007. We all drove down from CT ro AL for the funeral and to help clean a bit. Hole cleaning we were allowed to take stuff as inheritance. I found a Browning Wasp that pulled 50@28. Been hooked on archery ever since!
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline Downtime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
Back in the early 70's my twin brother and I got fiberglass Ben Person Recurves (35lbs) for Xmas.  The following fall, while doing farm chores, a doe was about 40 yards around the corner of the barn.  Ran back to the house and returned with my bow, she was now about 15 yards from the corner of the barn now. She went down in about 50 yards.  We both went to wheel bows in high school for about 20 years.  For the last 16 years been shooting older recurves and will never go back to training wheels agains.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
Didn't know I was in it.I just bought a K-mag in 1974 and started hunting with it and killed my first deer in 1976.Still don't know if I am in it or not.I am a bowhunter though ,for sure and have always used a stick and string.Kip

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
heheh - easy, there were no other kindsa archery back in '55.  :D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline koops4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
I shot wheels for about 17 years and then i got my dad's Brown Fox Hunter by Bear.  Got a new string for it and started shooting it.  The bow got a nasty crack in the belly so I continued to shot the wheels for hunting though.  Then about 4 years ago went to the Trad show in Kalamazoo and my son and I bought two used bows and loved not having all the stuff (gadgets) to come loose or break.  Love the feel of wood in my hand. Have not shot the compound since.
Paul

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©