3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how did u get into trad  (Read 823 times)

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how did u get into trad
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
Back a few years ago, 4 or 5. I bought a brand new DXT, being that I live in a condo, my range was only five yards. You cant shoot wheels in that little space. I had read some where that practicing with a real bow it would make you better. So I went to the only place around here that I had seen one and bought a Martin Savannah. Well after many holes in my walls and furniture. I started reading everything I could to help me shoot. I found this sight and needless to say I have never touched the DXT again. Well, I did pick it up two weeks ago and took it to a shop, it is now for sale! I only wish I would have started this much earlier in life. Im on a gun lease in SC and all of my stands are set up for bow hunting, I cant get enough of this.

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
I am a newborn by comparison to most folks on here. In many ways. I only started hunting period about 5 years ago, and it was a pheasant hunt with an 870. I'm 32 now, and about a year after my first real hunting experience, I bought myself a compound. My first experience with this "Bear" person's products, and it became normal to ruin arrows.

Then I shot my first "traditional" bow. I can't remember what it was, but I bet a member who posted on the first page of this thread could tell me, cause it was Grapes who showed me I couldn't shoot worth crap that day.

Fast forward a few months, and I am invited to a trad. only rabbit hunt. I am borrowed a 45# grizzly, some stumpin arrows, and thrown to the wolves. I missed a bunny by a tail, and a few more by far more, but had thee time of my life.

That following week, I became a member here (also upon Grapes' recommendation) and proceeded to by my first recurve.

This man's first recurve apparently:

Originally posted by Kip:
Didn't know I was in it.I just bought a K-mag in 1974 and started hunting with it and killed my first deer in 1976.Still don't know if I am in it or not.I am a bowhunter though ,for sure and have always used a stick and string.Kip
And it's still my go-to killer Kip! I love that bow and hope it stays in my family until long after I pass.

While waiting for my prize to show, I learned how to make my own board bows as well (thank you 4est!), and I have not stopped fantasizing about shooting or making bows since.

I'm not quite 2 years old in the traditional world, but life for me will NEVER be the same. I now have My K(ip)-Mag, a Grizzly from a great mentor who can no longer enjoy the wild due to illnesses, but I get to enjoy his stories of elk-hunting in Michigan, a gorgeous bamboo backed laminated bow from tradbower, a 2 piece osage selfbow that is a dream come true, and i'm currently applying finish on my 11th bow since learning I can (try to) make my own.

I have to agree with those that have said they didn't get into trad. It definitely got into me.

I now know archery is why I started hunting. Period.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
Way back in the early 60s, high tech meant "glass powered"!!!!

And....that was way before anyone thought to add the word "traditional" or "trad" to what was just "archery"!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
Ditto hayslope,  The "new fangled" bows back then were the all glass bows.  I still have one of my first - a Shakespere all glass bow with plastic grip.  After the first week of a new half dozen woodies I hardly ever had two of the same length - got busted up on everything.  Sure had fun though.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
Jon   Really great hearing from you and really happy my K-mag found a home with you.I must clear up something with you.The first K-mag I had was a 50lb. and I killed my first deer with it in '76.Right after I bought another K-mag 55lb.the one I sold to you b/c it was getting a little heavy as I get older so I bought another 50lb. which I have now.Hope you bloody it up plenty and take care.Sorry to hijack thread should have sent a P.M. but found his post intresting.Kip

Offline Chub

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
I went for classes for work to dayand a pal of mine asked me advice about his wheelies (having problems) THERE WAS NUMEROUS THINGS I MENTIONED. just then i thought of the simplicity of trad.so then is when i realized how wonderful the feeling is when the mechanical heartachs are gone . trad bows and equipt are very gratifing to my heart and soul!

Offline RPolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »
Dad made my first longbow when I was about 7 years old. Have swtiched from longbow to compound to recurve through the years. Have come full circle to wooden longbows for the past several years.
My 7 year old son Eli has out grown his his first longbow, so I have a bamboo backed red oak bow glued up for him , will hopefully have it in his hands by the end of the week.
"These Longbows are cool" Eli age 7, while stumping in the back yard

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
It was a slow progression for me. First I dropped my wheel bow and it came apart. Had to have someone else put it back together. Then I shot 3 deer within ten yards and thought, this is too easy and not as much fun anymore. So I switched to a recurve. Shoulder injuries forced me back and forth, but I'm here to stay. Now I'm shooting the recurve and a sweet Kohannah longbow that I picked up at the ST. JUDES Auction.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
It's 57 for me, just target shooting until 1974, shot pretty good considering I knew nothing about archery, then nothing until 1996, that's when a friend of mine talked me into shooting against his wheeler. I was able to go shot for shot out to 30 yds. Started practicing and took it hunting for the first time in 1996. shot my first doe with the same Ben Pearson bow I bought in 1973, but I spined it and it just tore me up when I had to go down and finish it off. That is when I became a wheeler and said that would never happen to me again. Shot a lot of deer with that compound, but now I'm back shooting Trad. for three years now and have hunted with it, more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

I just don't seem to have any interest in shooting or hunting with compounds any more, they just gather dust now.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
I was pretty sick of wrenching on the wheelie. (I don't understand how those things can always need to be messed with?) I found tradgang in 2004 and read about how you can just concentrate and hit the spot without all the gadgetry! WOW, I gotta have me some! I had to re-join a while back, but I'm back on the trad wagon and loving it. I shoot my bow now instead of "tweak" it.

I'm pretty set to hunt with my mid 70's K-hunter this fall. `bout ready to sell my fancy compound, but I'm too scared. LOL!

That's my story, and I'm stickin to it!

B

Offline flippnsticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
it was opening day last year and i scouted for months. watched a buck over and over same trail same area always by himself. i set up and as the ligth came he was on a different trail. i ranged it at 62 yards. threw my wheelie up and drilled him. after it was all over and watch him fall i got to thinking. . . . . im going to stick and string i worked to hard to reach out a touch that buck, like i had a smoke poll. bought a 1971 grizzly 50@ 28. shot it fell in love sold all mywheels. got my first trad kill about 4 weeks ago. and will never look back  :archer:

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
I grew up fishing and crabbing with my brothers but always wanted to go hunting but didn't know one person that hunted. When I was 22 I read an article in a 1984 Sports Afield magazine called "Comeback of the Long Bow" by  Lionel Atwill. He really hit me hard but I didn't have the money to order a bow. Was still in college and on my own with barely enough to eat. In 1990 after the loans were paid off I saw an ad in Bowhuter Magazine for the Dan Bertalen Bokk "Traditional Bowyers of America" and read it in 2 days and ordered a Scorpion Longbow. Bowhunting and Archery has changed my life and I am so grateful i read that article so long ago in Sports Afield. I met some of my best friends through this sport.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Frank

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
The First Time.

Back in the late 60's archery was all longbows and recurves.  Purchased my first Fred Bear red bow when I was 7 or 8.  Then graduated to recurves and longbows, then to wheels, then cams.

The Second Time.

I think the year was 1994, I had taken my soon to be wife Caren up to Athens to a few art shops. I chose not to go to the art shops and go to this archery Traditons place I heard about.

I walked in there and opened up my case and pulled out this cam bow I'd been shooting for years. Noticed this older gent sitting in a chair, he smiled, I smiled although I did not know who he was.

I shot the range for about an hour, shoot then adjust sights, shoot some more and tinker some more.

When I was finished, all packed up, this older gent still sitting in the chair asks if I'd ever shot a longbow. I told him I had many years ago but that was then and this, pointing at the cam bow was now.

He bet me that if I shot his longbow, he would have me hitting inside a pie plate in 15 minutes. I said, okay as my soon to be wife had not arrived yet.

My soon to be wife arrived, LATE! So for 30 minutes I got a one on one private longbow shooting lesson from Dan himself that day. I was hitting in the pie plate when I left.

That was the last time I ever shot that cam bow. I traded it for a longbow.

I grew up reading about Fred Bear, Ben Pearson, watching Fred Bear on tv specials. I later realized who Dan was and to this day, I am proud to say that I got a one on one longbow lesson from him and he converted me.

Thanks Dan.

Frank V. Rago
Can't cheat the mountain,
Mountain got it.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
I went to the Deer and Turkey expo in Columbus near my birthday. There were compounds, recurves and longbows for sale there. My wife and I discussed the fact that I would always wonder if I could get a deer with the longbow or recurve. We both figured there was no sense in me buying a compound only to buy a longbow later. We both knew I would never settle for shooting a deer with the compound. I would always want to test myself eventually. I decided on a hybrid longbow that day and put my money down on it. Been shooting and trying to get a deer every season since then. I haven't made it happen yet. Should have had at least 4 by now, but Murphy's Law is my best friend!   :banghead:

Offline bigiron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
because that's all there was back in 1958. was trad before trad was cool.

Offline kbaamigo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
Had an old self longbow my Grandpa gave me when I was about 10. My first trad kill was a "book" grass frog. At 16 I got my first Bear Kodiak in 1970 and harvested my first buck in 71. Deer were scarce in Sw Kansas back then. Now I love my Pronghorn longbow.

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
I was shooting a recurve before trad existed (started about 1970).  I saw no reason to change something that was working.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline emac396

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
My Dad had a camp in Mercer County and a gentleman on a nearby farm always hunted trad. I always looked up to him for many many reasons.One night I shot a buck and he came along to help me track after we found him I remember him looking over my short little wheel bow that look stuck in my head for a couple years till I bought a Saxon American out of Cabelas I shot it every day till I was comfortable and I drove north to show him. I cannot explain it well but Jerry had a whole lot to do with why I shoot what I shoot.
Thanks Jerry I will be forever grateful hope to shoot with you at Denton Hill

Ed McCarriher

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
I started out with one of the best high tech bows of the day when I learned to shoot.  None of that old traditional "stuff" for me.  Wish I still had that old 1964 White Wing recurve..
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
I started hunting with a Bear Kodiak Hunter at 11 years old for "fun".. Got into compunds at 13, then somehow, ended up with a Traditional Bowhunter Magazine.  Saw an ad from a guy Named John Moris, from Rocky Mountain Recurves. This was the early 90's.  He sent me a demo bow, shot it a bit, then ordered a custom.  That was all it took.  Never picked up "wheels" again.  Nothing wrong with wheel, just too much hassle.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©