3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thread-Wrapped Footing  (Read 317 times)

Offline Hashiba

• Trad Bowhunter
Thread-Wrapped Footing
« on: July 05, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
I was organizing my disaster closet full of my outdoor gear when I was stuck by a thought.  My fishing rods are all covered in epoxied thread wraps for the guides and ferrules.

Could a person not thread wrap and epoxy the front of his shafts to have the benefits of footing?  Just think of the neat patterns and colour options a guy could do!

Anyone done or seen anything like this?

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thread-Wrapped Footing
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
I've done thread art on arrows and it can look pretty darn good. It's certainly a unique look that you won't see very often.
But I think the pressures on the tip of an arrow are such that the thread won't give a lot of strength. Think of thread on a rod guide: that guide isn't going to come off very easily, but it is still easy to break the rod under the thread.
Great out-of-the-box thinking! This is the kind of thing that really gets the mind going in new directions.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
I asked that question a while back.  A number of folks said they do it and that it works quite well.  Might be able to find the thread.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
I did it in the 70s for the old fiberglass shafts so they woudnt split so easily on hard hits. Wraped the first inch to inch and a quarter and painted with epoxy. It made them tougher but not indestructable.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »
Splitting... absolutely, wrapping with thread will help a lot. I was thinking of a wood shaft where it snaps right behind the point.

Guy
The Blind Master

Offline Hashiba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
Well there ya go.  Now I have another dang'd thing to try out.  The shafts I'm going to try it on are carbon, so splitting protection is exactly what I was thinking about.  Its good to hear some positive feedback on the idea.

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
Have fun wrapping...

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
Ah, heck. It's not that hard. Get you a couple supports for the arrow shaft and be sure they're set up so you can work on the extreme end of the arrow without a support getting in the way. Also be sure the supports won't mar the shaft in any way.
Get a carriage of some kind to hold the thread and give it tension, reliable tension. Too much tension and you'll break the thread, too little and the thread gets all wonky.
Be sure to measure where you want the thread to start and stop. If you do different lengths on each arrow it won't look very good.
Learn how to start and end the thread wrap. When pulling the thread back under itself at the end use a strong enough pull material that it won't break in mid-pull, otherwise the dog will learn some new words. This also relates to not wrapping so tightly that you can't pull the thread under.
Learn about burnishing the thread, it'll make a world of difference in the final look. Burnishing can take it from "okay" to "holy crap, that's incredible!" Always be sure to lay the thread properly as you wrap. It's pretty difficult to go back and fix something you did an inch ago.
You may want to use color preserver, depending upon the thread you're using and the appearance you want. Oh, yeah... thread. Lots of different kinds and sizes out there, some easier to work with than others. Be sure to order enough, it's pretty frustrating to run out in the middle of the project.
Don't put the final finish on so thick that it drips, unless you have something to rotate the arrow like it's on a bbq spit as the finish dries.

Heck, you're gonna have lots of fun!

Guy
The Blind Master

Offline Hashiba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »
Very clean lines on those wraps Guy!  Thanks for the tips.  I did re-tie an old fly rod when I was 12 years old.  I hand turned the rod on cardboard supports.  The thread spool sat in a bowl and was run through a phone book for tension. I'll have to post some pics if I manage a half-way decent job.

Offline Cromm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 04:33:00 AM »
Nice looking work.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 05:49:00 AM »
Originally posted by Grey Taylor:
Splitting... absolutely, wrapping with thread will help a lot. I was thinking of a wood shaft where it snaps right behind the point.

Guy
that's where internally footing a woodie works best, imo.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 06:52:00 AM »
I would Vote for some Wider than Thread Sinew, Artyfishul of course. The Ingenuity just tumbles out of this site like.......like......... As My  Beloved, God Rest Her Saintly Soul, Great Granny  Used to say "Goose Poop At Grass Time!!"  :eek:    :coffee:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
I've been thinking about that internal footing jig.
Does anyone besides 3Rivers carry it?

Guy
The Blind Master

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
Fast Flight serving is my choice for this! Tough as a bull, coat with super glue, and your good!

I don't shoot carbons, but have used the wrap on river cane and splinters on bamboo backed osage, and selfbow cracks.

Copper or brass wire, wrapped should work also, and add a little extra point weight, too.

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
For wood, I don' think you can beat Reparrows. If I did, I'd quit making them.

Jim
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©