3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Newbie Elk Question  (Read 404 times)

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Newbie Elk Question
« on: July 05, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »
I'm shooting a 536 grain arrow at 170 fps.

I know shot placement counts (assume I put it where it belongs), but assuming a good broadside or quartering away shot, what would be a good range to keep my shots.  I am thinking 30 yards max.  Shooting a 2 blade COC head. 10.5 grains per # of draw (51#s) and FOC about 18%

Not looking to start an argument! LOL, just trying to get a range of views.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newbie Elk Question
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
If you can keep your arrows consistently grouped tight at that distance you will be good..... Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
Don't know never seen you shoot.  Your set up is no doubt good to 25 or 30 yards with perfect arrow flight, but distance will be determined by situation you are facing in the field.  I always go with how it feels when I draw on the critter.  Sometimes it's 35 yards is good, sometimes 20 yards is a "no go".

Good luck to you elk hunting this season.

Travis
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
I'm thinking more like 20 yards.  Arrow doesn't slow down much between 20 and 30 yards.  Fella on another site with a setup nearly identical to yours found the arrow speed dropped 4 fps from 20 to 30 yards.  I'd be more concerned with accuracy.  Thirty yards is getting to be a pretty long shot for a stick bow.  If you're new to shooting sticks and to hunting elk, it's even longer. Good luck.

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Like House said, I go by how the shot feels to me.  This is regardless of what I'm hunting.  If it feels right, I take the shot.  If it don't I wait for a better opportunity.

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
Awbowman, I would practice everyday all the way to 40yd and by season you should know what you think your range is.  I've killed quite a few elk and it is very common to get close, real close, but not have a shot because they are coming straight at you so sometimes you have to take the shot when it arises.

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
I practice from about 35yds and under. Never shot an animal past about 24-25yds. Prefer 20yds and under, Elk are a big target, but you need to have a good shot and be sharp and true. Good Luck
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
I shoot regularly out to about 42 yards (about as far as I can set the target) in preparation for this hunt.  I am VERY confident to 30 yards.  

I understand that various conditions will determine whether I will shoot or not, I was just wondering with perfect or near perfect conditions, where should I begin to worry about the momentum being enough for an ethical kill.

Thanks guys!
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
"where should I begin to worry about the momentum being enough for an ethical kill."

You don't have anything to worry about. Back when I first started hunting trad a buddy and I got onto a herd of Elk and busted them up as we tried to sneak in for a shot at the Bull. I went to the left and my friend went to the right, a few minutes later I had a cow come out in front of me down the hill and start feeding broadside. She obviously didn't know what had happened. Everything felt perfect and without thinking I was at full draw and locked on a spot. The next thing I know my arrow hit where I was looking. The cow flinched and went back to feeding. A few seconds later she wobbled and went down and I had my first archery Elk on the ground. I was shooting a damon howatt super diablo recurve at 50#, cedar shafts and 125gr zwicky heads. The arrow punched through a rib on the entry side. Passed through both lungs and stuck in a rib on the exit side. We later paced the shot distance out at 68 yards.

Keep in mind that was back in the day when you might have 2 or 3 trad shooters at a 3D shoot and everybody shot from the same stakes (compounds and trad). Distances at the shoots averaged 35 - 50 yards and there was always a target or two at 70 -80 yards. I lived in Oregon at the time and  did a lot of stump shooting at those distances. If I had known the cow was that far I probably wouldn't have taken the shot but it all happened so fast I didn't even think about it. I hope that helps...... Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
Well, I think I am going to hold my shots to 30 yards or less.  I really want to give myself the best chance at an exit hole (doesn't necessarily have to be a complete pass through).  Thanks for the input guys.
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 12:34:00 PM »
I would not think you would have a problem with that setup. I have seen elk killed with much lighter equipment.
James Kerr

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
68 yards with a 50# stick bow on an elk ...WOW....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©