3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bareshaft tunning....  (Read 1185 times)

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
bareshaft tunning....
« on: July 05, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
after reading about everyone tunning there arrows to exactly there bow i decided to try.im right handed. well all my bareshaft shots hit the target angled left. with feathers the arrow hits and sticks perfectly strait. can somone help me out on what this means cause i dont know weather to go lower or higher in spine when i go to buy my next set of arrows.

thanks,
steven
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bareshaft tunning....
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
The spine of the arrpw is not stiff enough

Can you cut a quarter inch at a time from the arrow This will start stiffening them

I like to stop when they are slightly nock left just slightly

I have found when I fletch and wrap the the extra weight in the rear makes them perfect
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline Blkbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
what info do i need to give exactly?
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by JParanee:
The spine of the arrpw is not stiff enough

Can you cut a quarter inch at a time from the arrow This will start stiffening them

I like to stop when they are slightly nock left just slightly

I have found when I fletch and wrap the the extra weight in the rear makes them perfect
xs 2
kevin

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
The fact your nocks are left has little to do with whether the shafts are weak or stiff. Ignore nock left or right IMO! Its probably how you release the string or some other form issue. It will drive you nuts trying to correct for that bare shafting if you use the plane-ing method ala OL Adcock.
 If bare shafts are grouping right of where you look they are weak. If they are grouping to the left of where you look they are stiff.  
The fletched shafts give you a benchmark to compare to and keep you from correcting for how the bare shafts miss your aim point. These should group where you look.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline bendbig

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
X's 3
Glenn
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me, Gen 27:3

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 07:42:00 AM »
Joshua said it.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
Steven -

Check out what Paul Jalon of Elite arrows has to say about bareshaft tuning. He's been building arrows since 1952. Paul is a sponsor here and well respected arrowsmith.

http://elitearrows.com/proper-arrow/

Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
Check out  http://www.acsbows.com/bowtuning.html
for the couterpoint to Paul's opinion. I believe this comes from vast experiance and science as well.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
In my limited experience (compared to some others), bare shaft planing has worked far better than paper tuning with trad gear.  I use two fletched shafts and two bare shafts and determine nock height and spine stiffness based on where they group.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
...and the debate goes on and on.  Both will work I guess. It just seems that if an unfletched arrow will get cut down to a length that will fly good why not do it? Then when fletched it will be a beautiful thing.
Whether you use paper or bare shaft you had better have a consistantly good release.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
I'm with RM81. Paper tuning can validate the bareshaft test.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
It seems to me that bareshaft tuning is a better method since it reveals the outome of the arrow at point of impact, which is usually considerably further away from the target than when paper tuning.  Just my $.02

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
:knothead:  

:biglaugh:

This debate is second only to 2-blade v. 3-blade debate for entertainment value.    :)  

Here's my spew: The bottomline is arrow flight not shaft flight, but bare shafting can help you diagnose gross spine mismatches. It isn't a very good fine tuning tool, IME. Plus, you have to watch out for other variables. Center cut and brace height can play a big part in bare shaft tuning too.

My 5575's nocked way left in my 50# recurve and I bought a dozen 7595s (now for sale in the classifieds) which nocked perfectly bare but wouldn't fly worth a damn with feathers. I built out the strike plate and voilà, the bare 5575s nocked a smidgeon left and with 175 grain points fletched flew perfectly and my groups are getting better every day.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
Regarding the information from A&H Archery, bear in mind:
1. This information comes from someone that builds bows not arrows.
2. This method recommends a distance of 15 or so yards and is called arrow planing not tuning and assumes the bow is properly tuned and/or set up.
3. The arrows that Ron La Clair sells are all made by Master Arrowsmith Paul Jalon. Ron trusts his arrowsmith, not his bowyer to produce arrows.
4. Paper tuning shows the flight stability of the arrow within feet of leaving the bow, not point of impact 15 yards away.
5. Arrow planing determines down range point of impact not flight stability.

I've always tuned with the fletching installed. That way you only change one thing at a time. Seems to me that if you bare shaft and finally get the arrow to fly center, then when you add fletching you are throwing an additional factor into the tuning equation that was not there before. That could be good or bad. If it changes your arrow flight for the bad, then you get to start tuning all over again. I guess that's not a bad thing if you have plenty of time and money to spend unnecessarily. And that's my two cents.

Danny

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
And bows shoot arrows - it is a very symbiotic relationship.

Actually you use the results to tune the bow for nockpoint and raising and lowering brace to adjust spine. Can also use the results to adjust impact by thickening or thinning the strike plate. Planing is just another tool - used correctly it can be very useful. But like any tool or method, it's use certainly is not mandatory and all are free to use it, some other, or nothing at all. If someone is happy with there setu, regardless of how they got there, I'll never suggest the method/tool they used is wrong or unnecessary.

After see slow motion video's of arrows in flight, I feel seeing perfect flight by the naked eye is nothing but an illusion that can allow one to think they have good flight when not they in reality don't. I want my setup to be the most forgiving possible and planing does that for me quickly and easily.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
SteveB -

Good for you.    :thumbsup:

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
I'm agreeing with all of Ric O Shay's comments. Basically, bare shafting requires a perfect release which a lot of people don't have.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
I won't go as far to say a "perfect release"...but a good one. So does paper tuning.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©