3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bareshaft tunning....  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bareshaft tunning....
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »
I will go as far to say, when it comes to bare shaft tuning, a "good release"....in a lot of cases isn't good enough.

In other words, the term "good" is relative. One never sees or feels the slightest pluck of their bowstring because their feathers on a fletched arrow mask the slightest pluck of the string.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 05:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Night Wing:
I'm agreeing with all of Ric O Shay's comments. Basically, bare shafting requires a perfect release which a lot of people don't have.
If you are going by arrow flight that is true.
But using the bs planing method takes that out of the equation and is the reason why most who understand the 2 methods use the planing one.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by SteveB:

Originally posted by Night Wing:
I'm agreeing with all of Ric O Shay's comments. Basically, bare shafting requires a perfect release which a lot of people don't have.
If you are going by arrow flight that is true.
But using the bs planing method takes that out of the equation and is the reason why most who understand the 2 methods use the planing one. [/b]
Bare shaft tuning requires a very, very good release.

If one really thinks their release is very, very good, just do a simple test. Bare shaft an arrow with a 45# and/or higher up poundage bow and then bare shaft an arrow with a 35# bow. I would wager the 35# bow will give someone using the bare shaft method a difficult time because the bowstring doesn't rip from one's fingers with the slightest release of pressure like it does with the higher poundage bows.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
When I was bare shaft tuning this spring I never got the bare shaft to land the same way 10 out of 10 times, so I have to attribute the odd one or two or sometimes three exceptions to bad release. But if you shoot a couple dozen and keep track, a definite pattern will emerge.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
What of those tears in the paper then...don't less than perfect releases mean errors in the tears...?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
Why not use a mechanical release just to get it right?
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
As long as you maintained the same anchor point and draw length that would be fine.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
I find that 15 yds is absolute minimum for bareshafting; if you can't get 20-25 paper tuning may be the way to go.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
Fletch up an arrow shoot it, if it looks good then try it with a broad head. If said arrow flys good then your good to go.

I find using all the same color feathers like all white or bright yellow works best.

As long as the arrow weight meets the recommended 8gr to 10gr or more for bow weight, your ok.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©