3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: woodsman, slick trick vs zwickey  (Read 861 times)

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
woodsman, slick trick vs zwickey
« on: July 06, 2011, 05:28:00 AM »
I am still trying to decide on broadheads for my setup.  I am shooting a 43# PMA with CX Heritage shafts and I am a little concerned about penetration.  I have had good success with the slick tricks and accuracy from this setup, but was recommended to shoot two blades for penetration.  I have started shooting the zwickeys and when setup correctly I am able to get accuracy with them.  But they seem to be real touchy, everything must be perfect.  Not the case with the slick tricks (much more forgiving.

Woodsman just seems like another option to try....

Do I really have to worry about penetraton with any of these heads from this setup?

Mike
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: woodsman, slick trick vs zwickey
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 05:58:00 AM »
what critters are you hunting?  hopefully only deer or lesser animals, and not hogs or tougher hide game.  

if i hadda hunt deer with a bow that truly held at 43#, i'd want a long, not-so-wide twin blade (many choices) or a tri-blade such as the woodsman, elite, or vpa ... and 11gpp mass arrow weight at the least.  NOT SLICK TRICKS!

personally, i would think about holding 50# or more, if possible.  light holding weight bows and heavy arrows equate to large trajectories and that limits the effective kill range distance.  i wouldn't go beyond 13-15 yards if i hadda hold 43#.  ymmv.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Bails

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 07:09:00 AM »
Never heard of slick tricks being used through a trad bow before , is that possible ???
We are here for a good time , not a long time .

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 07:14:00 AM »
those slick tricks are NOT for trad bows!

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 07:47:00 AM »
Slick Tricks look a lot like the Muzzys I've used with recurves in the past with no problem on whitetails.  I don't see why you couldn't use them with your setup as long as the arrows are relatively heavy.  I'd chose the cut on contact model over the tricor tip.  Lots of easy to tune BETTER choices out there (Woodsman and the like 3 blades) though.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 07:52:00 AM »
I would think due to the steep angle on Slick Trick blades you wouldn't get much penetration with 43lbs recurve.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
For me the Zwickey are the easiest to tune and are very forgiving.  I use to use slick trick on my compound and liked them because they tuned easily but I would not recommend them for a trad bow of that weight.  You may look into the Muzzy phantoms as an option.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bails:
Never heard of slick tricks being used through a trad bow before , is that possible ???
I know of two traditional bowhunters (one personally) who have used them quite successfully on animals up to and including tule elk. Neither guy shoots over 50 pounds. Personally, I would opt for some additional tuning and the Zwickeys, but that's because I've had great results with them in the past.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 08:32:00 AM »
any time i see a "broadhead" with a chiseled field point tip, i KNOW it's not for stickbows.  ymmv.

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »
Not all Slick Tricks have the chiseled point.  I'm guessing he is talking about the Razortrick, which is a cut on contact head and does quite nicely with trad gear.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
though the razortrick doesn't have that 'wheel bow point', it's a stubby creature that still smacks of wheels and cams. yuk.

with so many real coc trad broadheads to choose, i see no reason to entertain companies and vendors that pander to the non-trad side of bowhunting.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
Are you talking about the razor tricks? If I was worried at all about how sharp I could get the other two broadheads I would go with razor tricks in a heartbeat. That said my choice would be a zwickey for that setup. I shot woodsmans with a light setup when I started and my sharping ability wasen't great. Recovered both deer I shot with that setup but sharp zwickeys make two holes.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
though the razortrick doesn't have that 'wheel bow point', it's a stubby creature that still smacks of wheels and cams. yuk.

with so many real coc trad broadheads to choose, i see no reason to entertain companies and vendors that pander to the non-trad side of bowhunting.
Absolutely!
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
I shot an antelope at 13 yards with a Slick Trick 125 grain head with a 55 lb recurve. It got the top of the heart and both lungs, but failed to exit the far side. It did the job, but could have been better.
In comparison I shot a 2 1/2 year old whitetail buck at 13 yards with a 125 grain 4 blde Stinger and had complete penetration at the same type of hit. Arrow exited the far side on a heavier animal.
In my opinion the steep blade angle of the Slick Trick is not the most favorable for Trad shooters.

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
While I said the Razortricks will work.  I have some and have shot them, but I'm like BowMike and shoot the 2-blade Stingers and have had good success with them on whitetails with a similar light setup.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
I've always looked at it like this, I want a BH that slides into an animal not slams into it.  I always felt BH's with steep angles and short stubby ferrules eat up a lot of energy on impact because they don't slide into the animal they slam. Just my opinion.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »
Zwickeys are among the best flying heads around, particularly the eskimos.  If they seem sensitive, there's a good possibility that your form needs improving.   :)

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »
I would get something you can sharpen and keep sharp.  no doubt Zwickeys are great heads but have you ever tried to get one sharp?  Same with woodsmen.  If I were shooting the same set up you mentioned my first choice would be a Magnus Stinger 2 or 4 blade.  My second choice would be a STOS sharpened on a KME sharpener.  I have no experience with Slick Tricks.
proud member of
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Oklahoma Self Bow Society
Leedey Archery Association
PBS
Comptons Traditional Bowhunters
Pope and Young Club

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
I have killed tons of meat with the slicktricks and shot everyone of them. But i choose magnus stingers for a head thats already good and sharp and flies great(just as good as a slicktrick even at over 300fps out of my customers bows) out of a light weight stick bow.
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
I would go with the woodsman as it will penetrate like a 2 blade even in moderately heavy bone but leaves a better blood trail.
James Kerr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©