3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shrew Safari is here  (Read 1539 times)

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shrew Safari is here
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »
Terry,

This is my own little "gut feel personal analysis". In 2008 I shot this bear using my 59# at my draw, made in 1999 by John McCullough, Super Shrew Samurai  http://www.shrewbows.com/raylyonbear2008.html  

I'm currently shooting the same arrow combination with my 2010 Super Shrew 'special' (53# with bamboo cores and curly birch veneers and regular fiberglass limbs) and don't notice any perceivable difference in my shooting trajectory. Again, it's not a scientific readout on chronograph, just what I perceive and bareshaft tuning.  

My takeaway, a little better performance, more "beauty" and same great shootability.  :thumbsup:
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
BEAUTIFUL!!!  :eek:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
I can say that the Shrew bows of today are the best we have made to date.
I don't doubt that Ron....I know Gregg has done a jam up job.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ray Lyon:
Terry,

This is my own little "gut feel personal analysis". In 2008 I shot this bear using my 59# at my draw, made in 1999 by John McCullough, Super Shrew Samurai   http://www.shrewbows.com/raylyonbear2008.html  

I'm currently shooting the same arrow combination with my 2010 Super Shrew 'special' (53# with bamboo cores and curly birch veneers and regular fiberglass limbs) and don't notice any perceivable difference in my shooting trajectory. Again, it's not a scientific readout on chronograph, just what I perceive and bareshaft tuning.  

My takeaway, a little better performance, more "beauty" and same great shootability.   :thumbsup:  
I hear ya Ray!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
Terry,

I have Shrews of all sorts, made with various materials, that are built over a fairly wide period of time. The bows made with similar materials seem to cast arrows at about the same speed. The latest Shrews with advanced materials definitely add some speed, stability, smoothness, and strength, with those characteristics being more or less prominent depending on the actual materials used. In addition, the bows have continued to become more beautiful, and the BowBolt takedown feature is great to have. When Jeff Berberick shot my foam/uniweft/carbon Classic Hunter at the 2009/2010 Solana Ranch Hunt, he said it was far nicer shooting than the older Shrews he had owned. I agree completely, and the newest ones I have are even better. I am going to go to the archery range and take some of my Shrews to shoot them through the chronograph, but speed is not the only thing that is better about the Shrews.

That said, the Buffalo Bow I was shooting in Oz is a Super Shrew Samurai that Gregg built a little over two years ago, and it is a wonderful bow. The bow my buddy Doug was shooting is a 25+ year old Brackenbury recurve that is a nice bow too. You don't have to have the latest and greatest bow made using modern, advanced materials in order to kill game, but the new bows are definitely nicer and have better shooting characteristics. After shooting my Shrew Buffalo Bow Doug wanted to buy one himself. Fortunately, he was able to get the first Shrew Safari. When I get the chance to shoot his, I will do a review and compare it to my Buffalo Bow.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
Allan, I talked to Doug today. He got his Shrew Safari in the mail this afternoon. When we talked, he hadn't shot it yet because he said it was raining there. I told him the bow was waterproof and wouldn't melt in the rain. He said he would give us some feedback and maybe some pictures soon.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
lol
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
What an awesome bow!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2011, 07:51:00 AM »
Thats is one good looking bow,sweet!

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2011, 07:52:00 AM »
Thats is one good looking bow,sweet!

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »
I got a call from Doug the same day that Ron talked to him. Doug had shot the bow from underneath his porch overhang, so he didn't get wet when shooting, but did when he retrieved his arrows. As a result, he didn't shoot too many times. He told me that the bow was incredibly beautiful, with the rough buffalo horn making the bow look really "Gnarly" and powerful. Although the Shrew Safari is heavy for a Shrew, with all the phenolic, the overlays, and the BowBolt, it is still light compared to three piece bows. Doug said it felt much lighter in mass than the Brackenbury that he took to Oz, and he also said it felt about 10 pounds lighter in draw weight than the Brack which is almost the identical draw weight. Doug has a masters degree in engineering and was puzzled from a scientific standpoint as to how a bow of the same draw weight as another could feel so much lighter to pull than the other one. I told him that many people had experienced that phenomenon (including me), and it usually had to do with the materials and the smoothness of the draw.

Dough told me that the first half dozen arrows where shot to warm up and get the feel for the bow, but then he started plunking the arrows into the target right where he was looking, just like he had done with my Buffalo Bow. He is far more accurate with the Shrew Safari than he is with his older Brackenbury Drifter, even though he shoots the Brack well. For Doug the Shrew Safari is the ideal looking, feeling and shooting heavy game bow. He is going to be using it this fall near his house in Colorado to hunt elk, and is thrilled to have it. He also has a 53# Shrew Classic Hunter that has the same veneers as the Safari, so that lighter bow will be used for deer hunting this fall, even though it would also be fine for elk.

Doug will be back in Oklahoma on July 22 and has promised to bring his Shrew Safari back with him for me to shoot and review. I plan to have a review, with pictures, to post before the end of the month. Hopefully, we can take a swing by the archery range and shoot it side by side with Doug's Brackenbury and my Shrew Buffalo Bow to get some chronograph readings to compare. All three bows are about the same draw weight, although we will confirm that at the archery shop when we are shooting the bows. My draw length is 29.5", and Doug's is about 30" or maybe 30.5" when he is really expanding properly, so we are fairly close.

I hope to hear back more from Doug after he supposedly shot the Shrew Safari yesterday. If I do, either he or I will post something here to update his experience.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
Looking forward to reading about your experiences.

Thank you for doing a review.
   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline DEWN Cowboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
Ron, please accept my apology for my delay in giving you my observations on the first and only Shrew Safari. I live in a remote Colorado cabin and my Internet service is intermittent at best.

The photos really don't do it justice...it is phenomenal in both beauty and craftsmanship, graceful yet gnarly, light but powerful, and exudes lethal danger.

I've shot about 100 arrows with it, and after the first half dozen shots to get the trajectory imprinted, shot it lights out. It is flawlessly smooth the entire 30 inch draw, and feels much less than 70 pounds for reasons I don't really understand. I haven't choreographed arrow speed, but you can actually hear that it is faster than my Brackenberry Drifter that is probably slightly over 70 pounds at 30". Allan DeVore and I plan to get to ether in about 10 days and do some actual testing, so I'll let you know the results.

Bottom line: I couldn't be happier. Thanks Gregg, Ron and Allan for a truly great bow.

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
And the Shrew Crew hit's another one out of the park   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
Thanks for your evaluation Doug, I'm looking forward to the comparison testing that you and Allan are going to be doing...    :readit:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
Very Nice to see it in action so fast.

Allan and I spent a lot of time discussing the various options for the Shrew Safari, by the end of our Safari Allan had it pretty much worked out.

I already volunteered to send a couple of my Buff horns over to Allan when we pack his Horns, they will be going to Gregg and maybe we'l do a couple Knives as well. I also have plans to send Gregg some Gemsbok horn when i get back to SA latter this year.  

P.S. I really like the name "Shrew Safari"

Good to see you here Doug, ill drop you an e-mail shortly.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2011, 01:47:00 AM »
It was good to have Andy's input on the Shrew Safari design. He has been shooting Shrews for quite some time now and knows what he likes. Besides, he is a very good shot, as well as being a superior outdoorsman, hunter and guide (PH). I want to get back to OZ ASAP to hunt with him and Mick again, and Doug feels the same way. I am looking forward to shooting Doug's Shrew Safari and will have a review posted before the end of the month. I have to admit a little envy that Doug is getting to shoot the bow without me.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2011, 04:02:00 AM »
Allan it looks like next year is going to be our last on the Buffalo where we hunted, There are a couple places left if Doug is keen to get back for another chance.

Andy Ivy

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
Andy,

Please hold those spots for Doug and me until you can get us more information on the dates and we can see whether the timing works for us. You know we want to come back, because we told you that before we even left. That was one of the best hunting trips I have ever had -- and I LOVE hunting! Besides, hanging out with you and Mick is about as good as it gets, even though Mick is a wild man. Seriously, Mick is first class in every way, just as you are.

One thing for sure, Doug and I will be bringing our new Shrew Safari bows along to hunt with. Not that I am retiring my wonderful Shrew Buffalo Bow. (In case anyone wonders, it won't be for sale until my widow is trying to clear out my stuff for her next husband.    :mad: )  

Thanks friend,

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2011, 03:49:00 AM »
Originally posted by amar911:
(In case anyone wonders, it won't be for sale until my widow is trying to clear out my stuff for her next husband.     :mad:  )  

Allan
HA HA

Iv got spots held for you both.

Andy Ivy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©