3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk Hunt 07 Up In Smoke  (Read 572 times)

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk Hunt 07 Up In Smoke
« on: June 29, 2007, 10:31:00 AM »

Looking where Charlie and I have spent MANY wonderful days, chasing the 4th world over the past few years. 7 day ago this is what showed up

Mixed emotions have had me wondering about it all. What effect will all of this have, on those fond memorialized places

Yes I know it will be for the good. I also know that 8000 acres is a small drop in the bucket for area that we have to pursue or quarry.

What does have me saddened are those favorite lunch stop meadows, meet me at Crooked Tree, set up at the quiet pond. Will we have those old friends to meet us when we return in 3-4 years.

Will the Big Bear Stump..Larry's Witch or Arrow Eater, Still reside in our hunting haunt..

Where will Big Louie move to ? Where will the Grunter take his Harem. Old Good For One, the Muley Buck that was always good for one shot, where will he end up?

Makes ya wounder.....Don't it

Offline Goose

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk Hunt 07 Up In Smoke
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »
That's a bummer.  Actually, a burn is usually good for an area, but you still hate to see it happen.  Like you said, all those old places you remembered will be changed, but new ones will develope.  
Best of luck, and nice pictures.
Goose
Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.

Offline Rusty Izatt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »
Man I hate to see that. Last year the "Purdy" fire out North West of Union Pass burnt up my old hunting grounds. Sure does put a lump in your throat and a tear in your eye. I feel for you man.

Rusty

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
I feel your pain, I have had a couple of my areas burn, and am scared it will happen this year, it has been DRY!  But it is mearly "birthing pains" as the area will be reborn into something wonderful with new memories and hidey-holes and wonderful places to explore.
Semper Fi,
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »
Change is always difficult, and we get very comfortable with having things stay the same.  But as we talked about earlier this week Vance, you know deep down it will turn out OK in the long run.  It will just be like meeting a new freind when you are able to go back to some of those valleys in the future.  Old freinds are great, but new ones can sure bring their own memories.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Bowshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 11:11:00 AM »
We had an over subscribed burn west of here, (Central Alberta) a few years back, the RMEF had everything in place and mother nature changed her mind a little. The results were tough to look at until the grass started growing. The rebound effect is startling, grass 4-6 feet high, deer, elk, sheep, bears actually pounding trails wider than the horse trail through the stuff. It is virtually impossible to find a place to sit without being in some kind of manure. The scenery is a little depressing until you get over the esthetics. The animals are in there thick, and use the surrounding area as escape cover. The burn will probably help.

Terry

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 11:53:00 AM »
I here ya Iron Bull - We have fires around us every year and we rate the summers by how smoky they are. In 2004 we had a 2.4 million acre fire that took out most all of one of my prime moose areas. Almost took out the settlement too until the fall-winter weather knocked the fire down. It basically wiped out my entire 52 mile call line knocking the heck out of the fur population for a couple of years. That is coming back and hopefully it will be productive this winter. The moose are also starting to rebound with all the new foliage and it didn't affect the caribou too much though it did destroy the lechen in a major wintering area causing that herd to shift north a bit. But fires are part of nature and that is why we have lots of black spruce around here as it's purpose in life is to burn so we can have a springful of morels and grizzly bears.
John/AK

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »
It's a blessing that we live where we do. This is not our only area to hunt, Just the nearest for the quickie afternoon hunt. Being just a bit over 3 miles from the house it's favors were partaken most often.

It truly will renew it's self to brighter times. The lump comes from the passing of old friends and the relocation of others. New ones will fill the void and time will heal the passing.

I find myself going and finding a good view point, setting up the spotting scope and just watching this fire. There seems to be something Primal in fire a pleasant quietness in it's power and a strange beauty in Flame and Smoke and yet a reassurance that it's suppose to be this way.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 03:05:00 PM »
Tell you what Vance, I'll do you a swap.

This is an aerial photo, taken of a village 3 miles from my house.....

We've had the wettest June in Yorkshire, since records began. Most of the county has suffered severe flooding. Jules & I have been really lucky. The house is bone dry, but unfortunately my workcave is still standing in about 4" of water   :(  
Just to give you an idea, the average rainfall for East Yorkshire in June is 12mm (1/2") for the month. Between the 21 & 26th we got 140mm (5-5/8")
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
"Nothing lives long, only the Earth and the mountains."

We mourn the passing, and our dead, we are amazed and inspired by the tenacity of the living, and the fierce, raw strength of the newly birthed.

I feel this, your loss, as I have known many places and loved them, thrown my heart into them, and they are no more. You grudgingly move forward, acknowledge the end of an era. But because the heart has such need, it will be drawn into a different, changed landscape, to rebond with the loving hand of its Creator.

That you loved the things that are now gone is a 'Thank You,' that I am sure brings a smile to His face.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
Killy, I love reading your take on things.  You have such a way of expressing what we all feel.  I know Vance appreciates it as well.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
I love a good burn.(Woods or Forest) I dont like the fact that fire fighters get hurt or worse every yr.I dont like to see anyones memories lost. If none of that happens the benefit is outstanding.In a couple of years you will need a machete to get through. The deer and elk will be big and Fat..and you shouldnt have enough fuel to burn again for a long time.
G
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 10:39:00 PM »
Rob
If I was you I would have the boat tied to the back porch
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »
now all the critters will be piled up in the only cover that's left... should be easy huntin bud!
   ;)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
Happen to 40,000+ acres of my elk grounds last year and w/ the new growth had every elk in the area in there.Chased and saw over 100 bulls in 6 days.Always a silver lining somewhere.

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2007, 10:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
now all the critter will be piled up in the only cover that's left... should be easy huntin bud!
   ;)  
Should be like shootin fish in a barrel!  ;)

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2007, 02:48:00 PM »
That is my worst fear every year, I know it is good for the mountains to regrow, but it hurts. Steadman
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©