3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DIY Hunts advice  (Read 309 times)

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
DIY Hunts advice
« on: July 07, 2011, 01:12:00 AM »
Hey guys I was reading the dream hunt thread and was thinking that I need to at least start planning something. So my question to you guys would be, where do I start? Other than the obvious of course, the location/species. Thanks in advance, Mike.
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: DIY Hunts advice
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 01:27:00 AM »
Mike once you've determined the location and species the first thing I'd do is ask others about there experiences.The best advice comes from people who have already done it.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
Proper planning prevents poor performance. Make it your dream hunt & you'll dot all the i's & cross the t's. IMO, can't be too ready for such a great adventure as big game. Get maps, talk to forest rangers, other hunters, opinions from TG'ers, equipment & shoot gymnastics, food allowance, water needs, shelter, plan & replan. Just plain fun.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
Learn how to use a map and compass , I have never been lost just wandering for a few days ( the wrong way ) go get a book called Be Expert With Map & Compass. Then go after your dreams good luck to you on your quest , you need any info on Idaho send me a PM,,,,,,,,Sam,,,,,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
Depending on the species and access, your planning should also include secondary and third stage fallbacks. Sometimes areas change, mother nature plays tricks, or others have had the same idea and plan as you.

Being flexible and being able to reposition and maintain the positive sense of adventure can often make the difference. Don't become overly focused on 'Plan A and Plan A only'. Often it is Plan B or C that really pays off.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
I would really love to do something that is spot and stalk. Destination will be somewhere that has over the counter license sales. I personally can not afford the investment for applying for a tag every year. It would also be cool to have the option of other species in the event of getting lucky in the first few days. I have a military background so the compass and not getting lost is more of not being too confident and screwing up,lol. But would love to do a "backcountry" hunt. Also I will be right up there twords the top of the list of guys that will say " Well ya can't eat the horns"lol. I consider all hunts successful if I don't get hurt. And anything with my stick and string would be a trophy. Where would you guys start with a budget if you were planning something like this? All info is appreciated and more than likely very helpful. Thanks again, Mike.

2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
Also, how about what would be on your necessity list for a hunt such as this? I know that there has probly been threads like this before mine but I am looking for fresher thinking. Especially with the economy in it's present state. Mike

2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
I sure like Idaho OTC tags and lots of game Elk,bear,whitetail,muledeer it is some great hunting.I will have a total of 44 days hunting Idaho this year and Im 30 hours from there.
,,,,,,,Sam,,,,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
Spot and stalk? Sounds like most Western species. Moose can be spot and stalk in wide valley bottoms, elk if there aren't a whack of cows and calves around. Realistically those are rut/calling situations.

Spring/fall black bear or grizzly in the mountains, mule deer, sheep and goats are more spot and stalk animals.

The animals and terrain and time of year will all dictate your "necessity" list.

Start us off with your "top three animals", and maybe we can help you break it down by areas/tags availability/gear etc. for you...   :)
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by hardwaymike:
Also, how about what would be on your necessity list for a hunt such as this? ...
Get out and camp in ways that mimic your planned hunt. ie: the gear you would use daily to stay out. This way you will be able to best balance cost of equipment vs performance.

I had/have to choose between what I have that works against what I "wish" I had that works.

Sometimes I can justify an expense/expensive item if what I have is not working or it falls under the this years can spend.

For example, instead of a 300 dollar ultralight tent, I am opting for an 80 dollar sil tarp. Instead of high end but great under layers, I am using one more year my old but smelly capalene and  cheap poly pro. I sprung for some good binos but got them on sale. I bought a light weight sleeping pad even though my heavy one is good, but its heavy. That is all I can justify this year.

Next year maybe a new pair of under layers at 70 dollars a pop retail.

Again, there is no substitute for getting out in your own backyard woods and seeing what works and what does not and that way you will not waste money on what you do not need or can do without.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
Check out "On Your Own Adventures".  It's a t.v. show that also has a web site.  The gentlemen does all of his hunts on public land, with out an outfitter and the web site has a ton of resources to help guide you toward public land.  I would also suggest a hunting partner.  It's fun to share the journey.  Happy hunting.

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Todd Greenwald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
I believe being in the best shape you can be in.  After hunting in Colorado a few years ago, I now keep in shape for the next time I go back, which is every 2 -3 years.
Michigan Longbow Association
USMC 1992-2000

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
Spot and stalk antelope in Wyoming.

There are some great areas you can draw first try, with good public ground. Lots of washes, cuts, and draws you can stay low in, and tall sage for cover. You can spot antelope all day long, and put many stalks on.

No need for spendy motels, just pitch your tent out on the BLM.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 11:22:00 PM »
To choose a state, contact the state Division of Natural Resources, Fish Wildlife and Parks, Wildlife and Fisheries etc... and ask for an Information Officer then after a brief explanation of what and how you want to hunt to be referred to an area Wildlife Biologist who works in the field. They are a wealth of information and I've never talked to one who was not willing to provide information that you could not aqquire by hoofing around on your own for years.

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 11:38:00 PM »
TTT

2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 06:36:00 AM »
try eastmans hunting journal. absolutely full of do it yourself info on what areas have the best success rates for certain species, certain states, certain areas etc.  Very good source of information.  Good luck!  I save 50 to 100 dollars a month back and go on a hunt every four years.  I dont really drink or smoke so this is my "vice"  Everybody deserves some "me" time and you only live once so do it now.  As a trauma nurse I am constantly reminded that life is over in an instant if your number is called so dont wait, do what you are called to do.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »
The west is full of spot and stalk opportunities.  Elk are the dreams of many, and my own personal addiction.  But mule deer are loads of fun themselves, and probably easier for a first timer.  Deer tags are also cheaper than elk.  

If you have the gear needed and want to camp, public land abounds, and you can have a great hunt for no more than the cost of driving there and a tag.  If you find a partner or two to split gas with it can be done pretty cheaply.  

It is very easy to do a great out of state hunt for less than $1,000.  Maybe substantially less with a couple partners.  

Here is a rough hunt budget for a couple of trips I have tags for this year:

North Dakota Mule Deer Tag - $215
Gasoline - split two ways  - $250
Cabin/private ranch fees   - $750  (If you camp your cost is zero)
Food - I eat at home too, so I don't count this!   ;)  

New Mexico Elk Tag - $760
Gasoline - $700 (I'm going with my wife, so I'll get the whole bill on this one  :readit:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
Guys- Read Joe's last line again and once more, no truer statement!!

"Don't let money stop you from pursuing your dreams. You could do the same trips I am doing this year for much less than what I am going to spend - and have just as much fun. Life is short, and every year that you don't do a trip is another lifetime memory you let slip through your fingers that can never be replaced. Go for it!! "
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
Thanks Whip, That is kinda what I was looking for. I can write it down myself to look at but without the experience of having done it before(on my own dime anyways), travel costs just plain confuse me,lol. Other than a few trips to Ohio and Pennsylvania, most all of my trips out of Michigan have been on Uncle Sams dime. And doing it that way, the only thing I really had to plan for was showing up on time and having enough snacks and drinks to last the whole trip. I plan on camping for sure and cooking all meals myself other than maybe a celabratory meal on the last night. I was born frugal and a wife and 3 kids have just compounded the fact,lol. Another question would be, which states are over the counter license sales? I know not any one person can answer that question but with members from all over the world I figure this is the best place to ask. Again thanks to everyone for the helpful info. Mike

2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
Great post. I'm taking notes. Keep info coming.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©