3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DIY Hunts advice  (Read 310 times)

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: DIY Hunts advice
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »
I've hunted several states out west (then moved on out) but it really isn't that hard.  I've drawn several tags and just drove on out to the unit and started hunting.  No prior scouting no one to go with, loaded a pack with camping gear and hunted.  Just get the tag with plenty of public and start hiking and glassing.  Once you do one trip you'll be hooked.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
There are a ton of options for DIY hunts. Expensive is a relative term, but you can do a lot of hunts for a lot less than people think. I've hunted alligators, moose, caribou, mule deer, elk, whitetails, black bear, turkey, antelope, sitka blacktails, turkey, and wild hogs all DIY and have had a ball.  You may not always get game on the first trip, but you will definitely learn a lot and will have a MUCH better chance the next time. The way I look at it is that I can go on 2 or 3 DIY hunts for the about the same cost of one guided hunt. I would bet the success rate on 2-3 DIY hunts are as good if not better than on 1 guided hunt. PLUS, you get to hunt 2-3 times MORE! Sweet deal!  It is also a lot of fun to do the research and prepare for a DIY hunt. If you have any questions about a DIY hunt for any of the species mentioned above drop me a PM.

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
Rob W x 2.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
TTT! Just trying to keep this up top for a couple of more days so we can get the most info possible. Thanks for all of the help so far guys. It looks like I am not the only one interested in this subject. Mike
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
Just to piggy back on this thread.  Could someone list the questions they ask the game biologists when they call?  Things I thought of are:

Information about specific areas I have a hunch about.

Info about recent or past fires that don't show up on maps.

Info about any guides that may be hunting the area.  Don't want to hunt an area that's been burned out by a string of customers.

Winter kills.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
I have done 5 DIY elk hunts in 3 states, CO, UT, and ID.  I am doing CO again this year.  I usually go every other year.

Tags are generally around $500 for elk.

I am driving my Toyota Corolla out there this year.  It  gets 38 MPG and will be plenty comfortable for 2 guys and a couple backpacks.  If we kill elk, 2 big coolers will also fit in it.  We won't be driving off-road and you really won't need to.  Gas will be roughly $250 even if gas is $4/gallon.  Split 2 ways, that's $125 each.

I eat cheaper in the mountains than I do at home so that's a wash.

I have all the gear I need so that won't cost any more.

I estimate another $100-200 spending money so total trip cost is way less than $1000.

If you do deer or bear, knock $200 off the tag price.

I would not consider these trips of a lifetime kind of hunts.  But they are necessary for my soul.   A trip of the lifetime for me would be guided in Alaska for multiple species for a month.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©