3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pick 2nd week or 4th week CO elk?  (Read 278 times)

Offline mesquite

• Trad Bowhunter
Pick 2nd week or 4th week CO elk?
« on: July 07, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
I'm booked for the 2nd week in Southern CO with Winterhawk outfitters.  A friend wants to come along now, but the outfitter has filled all the spots for the 2nd week, however he has spots available for the 4th week.  There is a full moon on the 3rd week.  In your experience which week would you take?  The outfitter claims that they hunt remote areas and the elk won't be too pressured on the 4th week.  I'm also concerned with bad weather during that last week (snow)!  What y'll think?

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Pick 2nd week or 4th week CO elk?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
I've always liked the last week best.  Lots of folks are gone by then, and it usually coincides with the near peak of the rut.  Third week overlaps with muzzleloader season.  They're a little less spooky during the first two weeks, but hunting pressure is pretty high then and they smarten up quickly.  Never paid much attention to the weather.  Can be just as bad/good the first week as the last.  Snow during the last week tends to stay around a little longer.

Offline skilonbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
Being that they are up in the Flattops which still have a lot of snow on them right now. You could probably expect snow any week you are visiting. Last week the snow might last longer. I went to the oufitters website and he says the horsepack in so you should only see some moderate pressure from other horse outfitters not others walking in. I think either one will give you a good chance at an elk.
I have found for me that 4th week is usually empty except for others who have not tagged. However they are pretty smart then and typically only bugle at night.

Offline mesquite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
I meant to say Northern Colorado.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
I am going to agree with 4th week as well for the reasons stated above.  Weather at times can even get the rut going even harder...not so much the weather as the colder temps.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
Another vote for the 4th week. I like the last two weeks the best.  Widow

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
I've always liked the 4th week

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
Even if you had the option of the second week my preference would be the 4th.  Weather can throw you off no matter what, so I would go with the chance of the best rut action.  Gotta love bugling bulls!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
Well, here is my experience.  I've bow hunted Colorado since '93 and over the years we have tried every week.  Found out that if the weather wasn't to their liking the bulls wouldn't bugle any better in the last week than they did the first week.  Personally, I like the 2nd week.  Before the muzzle loaders and after the first week push.  The elk seem to have settled down a bit too.  That being said, if you are in the Flattops (though I've never hunted that area) I would expect that either week is going to be pretty good.  I wouldn't make my decision based on what the weather might or might not do.  The weather in Colorado can change quickly.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
Two ways to look at it. Early season they have been less pressured by hunters and the bulls have not herded up a lot of cows, which means less eyes to have to get past.
Then there is the all exciting last part of the season. If they rut up big time you'll have fun locating bugling bulls and calling them in if you know what your doing or just spot and stalk.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
I like later in the season if given a choice. If you are in a couple of miles pressure probably will not be an issue. My work schedule usually decides when I go.  Being from Michigan, hunting the early season in Colorado always seams to hot to be hunting. I don't mind having snow on the ground and cool weather.

In the areas I have hunted September temps typically have been lows at night in the 20's or 30's and day highs in 50's  or 60's.  Snow rarely lasts more than a half of a day after it stops falling. There are always exceptions during the course of any season, both ways - very hot or very cold.  I remember one year in the mid 1990's I was out the third week and it was very dry and in the 80's and 90's every day, fun trip but poor hunting. I have also been snowed on the first week of season so plan on cold no matter when you go.

Back when I first started going to Colorado (1985ish) the bow season started in August - it was a good thing because I was in grad school, so I would not have been able to go in September. I remember it being just plain hot then, even at 10,000 feet.

I guess what I am saying is go when you can. The weather will do what it is going to do, it may be good or bad either week - you will not know until you are there.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline cjgregory

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
I prefer the early season.  I hunt area 16 in North Park area.  The first two weeks work best for me.
You get to keep what you kill.  If it were easy there would be no value in it.
64" Silvertip 58# @ 31"

Offline mesquite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
Great responses!  Thank you!  I've decided to hunt the 4th week and hope for favorable weather!

Offline wapiti1997

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
The 4th week has always had better rut action and more bugling for me, north central CO.  Good luck on your hunt!
P&Y and B&C Measurer
RMEF Life Member
UBK Life Member

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
Have to tell you about one of my experiences in the Grand Mesa in Colorado quite a few years back.  I hiked in on a day hunt and was hunting about three miles from the road when I came across an outfitter's camp and a wrangler getting it ready for the gun season.  We got to talking, and he told me that they brought their hunters in by horse pack train.  "Three miles," I said.  "That's hardly worth the effort."  "Oh, we don't bring them in three miles from the north.  We bring them in 12 miles from the south.  We keep them with the guides, and they're never the wiser for it."  We both had a good laugh over that one.

Offline Bails

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
4th week , we've always seen lots of Elk and they are quite vocal in the area we go at that time of the season . Good luck , whichever you choose .
We are here for a good time , not a long time .

Offline NancyVTAS

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
Copicasso and I will be there with Larry[Winterhawk outfitters } the 4th wek also. He has a huge area that he is the only outfitter in. There will be other hunters but no outfitters. GOOD LUCK    maybe we will see you up on the Flattops.  Dick

Offline mesquite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
Awesome!  I won't be the only trad hunter in camp!  Hopefully one of us can close the deal!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©