3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thoughts on Afganastan, Cloverdale and Barry Wensel  (Read 361 times)

Offline John McCreary

• Trad Bowhunter
Thoughts on Afganastan, Cloverdale and Barry Wensel
« on: July 08, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
Seems like a strange combination, doesn't it? Let me explain. This past June, at the Cloverdale Traditional Nationals, I humped all over camp and the dealer booths talking to folks and asking them to sign a "mole skin" book to my nephew Jordan who is currently serving in Afganastan. The boy had been coming to Cloverdale with me since he was 9 or 10 but missed last year because he was in basic and this year's event as he was deployed in May to Kandihar. The response was overwelming. We had perhaps 150 messages, signatures and thank you's and even a few young ladies who left more "personal" messages. To all who signed the book, THANK YOU! From myself, my wife and all our Family. To all who raised a glass to Jord and all our troops at the "Saturday Night Meat Fest" especially Danni and Blacky Schwarz and the Otto boys, who host this annual feed, thank you from the very bottom of our souls. You folks are, and always have been very special to me and define what "friend" means.
  During my camp vists several people offered books, DVDs etc. Gary Davis gave me a bow building DVD, which has been watched SEVERAL times. Dennis Jackson, of Georgetown Illinois and one of the Otto camp regulars, very graciously gave me a signed copy of Barry Wensel's book "Once Upon a Tine". To all and in particular Dennis, Thank You.
  At 05:00 this morning I recieved a phone call from Jordan. He had completed his daily "Tower Duty", which as he put it is "like sitting in a Texas tree box in 140 degree heat..." He called because he had just finished the Wensel book. For a kid who I couldn't get to pick up a magazine let alone a book this was exciting in it self. He was completely enamored with the book and Uncle Barry's tales. He was so excited, he wants me to pack up his Merriah take down and send it to him. He wants to plan an elk hunt in Colorado when he returns to Ft Carson and of course invited his favorite uncle... maybe he'll let me go too.
  The point to all of this? Jordan's last words to me where "send more books"! So I ask another favor of the Traditional Community. If you have any extra copies of Archery related books or Hunting magazines, Traditional Bowhunter, Primitive archer etc. please send them to our troops. If you would like to send some direct to Jordan and his squad please PM or e-mail me and I'll send you his APO. I'm sure we are not the only Trad Gang members who have a loved one overseas defending our way of life, Seek them out and send reading material to those serving.

Thank you for your time, your generosity and your support for our Troops

John McCreary  aka: The Rugman

PS: to Terry Greene, I hope this sort of a topic is ok even if it hedges the rules just a bit. Also about 7-8 years ago I posted a pic of Jordan when was 12 with his first trad kill. Would that pic still be buried in the archives somewhere?  Thank you, J-Mac
Who ever called this the "Golden Years" never lived this long...

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thoughts on Afganastan, Cloverdale and Barry Wensel
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
John- PM me either his or your mailing address. I'm sure i got a few more books lieing around.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline CavScoutArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
Post up his mailing address.  I have a whole slew of  traditional bowhunter mags and other reading material over here that have been donated by the folks of this site. Many are doubles.  Would be more than happy to send some your nephew's way. Plus they should get there pretty quick too since I'm already over here in the sand box!
United States Army 2007-Current

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" -Edmund Burke

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
I think I can scratch a few up here too John.  Please post his mail address, I remember mail call back in the day and it was the highlight of the day!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
John, that's a great idea for all of us who read and re-read all those magazines in the corner. We can send them overseas. I thank you and my wife thanks you.
If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough.

Offline John McCreary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
Hey all thanks for your interest and generocity.

Thank You all,
John and Marcia McCreary

As requested:
Vaughn, Jordan
A-CO 1-67 AR CTF Dealer
COP Kessler FOB Walton
APO AE 09367

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
support the troops but lets bring them home as a viet nam vet im entitled to an opinion the french lost 100000 in nam and gained nothing our country had no business sending us over there and now we have found another country to save sorry for the rant my friends
Arrow_Flynn

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 03:33:00 AM »
John will be more than happy to send him some reading material,thanks Larry.I hope they all return home.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Craig Schoneberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 07:38:00 AM »
Will box up 20+ pounds of venison jerky and send his way on Monday.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member
Nebraska Bowhunters Association Life Member
Nebraska Traditional Archers Life Member
Traditional Archers of Nevada Founding Member
Colorado Traditional Archers Society

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
John

That's awesome to hear man.  That is too cool.  I'll scrounge the archives here and see what we can get sent out.
Otto

Offline John McCreary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
Grinch, thank you sir. Craig, that is awesome! Jord's mom raises beef, she and Marcia have been sending beef jerky. Venison will be a welcome change for the boys. Steve Otto, ya know I love ya man!

A note for everyone sending magazines. Please keep the content to hunting, fishing, 4x4's etc. Nothing with religious or political conotations. Remember where they are. Keep in mind anything sent to Jordan WILL be shared with his squad and most likely you'll never see the item again. When a unit ships out things get left for the next group.
Incidently with magazines be sure to remove your name, address, and subsciption info. I'm told this is VERY important.

Thanks again,

John and Marcia

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »
John: Thank you for posting this for Jordan and the rest of our troops over there. I want you to know it's refreshing to hear some feedback from those who are appreciative. Over the years we (Brothersofthebow) have donated hundreds of DVDs to the troops overseas. We thought it would be inspirational for them and highlight the freedoms we have which they're fighting for. Unfortunately, sometimes these freedoms are taken for granted my many. I'm proud to be a small part in this "breath of fresh air at the bottom of the ocean." Many thanks again. BW

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
That was a class thing for the Wensel brothers to do.

Being involved with the Camp Cuervo Archery Club, starting up ranges over there and sending boxes of "stuff" that they like I am sure getting signed books made their day.

Thanks guys from an old vet.

Semper Fi

Offline John McCreary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
TTT

Offline Bob Foster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
Both Gene and Barry sent autographed books to my son Patrick during his first tour in Afghanistan. Patrick is currently on his second tour in Afghanistan and has both books with him. Although Patrick has only met them at Compton’s and Kalamazoo, he brags to all of his buddies that he is good friends with the Wenzel boys and shares their books with them. Patrick always teases me with a quote that Gene wrote in his book when we talk about our next bow hunt together “always hunt upwind of your dad”.
I can’t tell you how much it means to these young men and women to read the books and magazine and especially to watch the videos. Many did not even know that hunter still use Longbows and recurves let alone actually kill deer and bears with them.

Offline bluej

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
I have a nephew there, my sister just sent him several magazines that we gathered up, they really do appreciate anything we can do for them, she also sent some jerky and American cigarettes.

Offline John McCreary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 01:26:00 AM »
TTT again

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 03:01:00 AM »
I'd forgotten how alone you can feel when stationed overseas in a war zone,sometimes the simplest gestures mean the most,for those of you who have never been there do youselves a favor and connect with a service person seving overseas,you'll never regret it.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 05:05:00 PM »
Hey John!!!

Good to see you 'starting a topic'...

Life here has been hecktic...you have no idea how so...but it has.

Not sure about a pic that old...in years past we had to prune topics due to the server size at the time and so many folks still on dial up....so, that pic might be gone.

Got any idea if it was a thread YOU started or did you post the pic on someone elses thread?

Take care,

T
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline John McCreary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
Terry,
 I sent that pic to you and you posted it up on the Pow Wow header. Became the subject of a couple of threads.

I hope you being busy is a good thing. The same here insanly busy with the business of living.

J-Mac

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©