3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Loc-On loc on Stands  (Read 303 times)

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
Loc-On loc on Stands
« on: July 08, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
I'm looking to buy either a Spirit, Limit or Windwalker Loc On stand. I've had a Super Spirit before and really liked it, but want to go as light as I can and still have a stand with room enough to at least be able to maneuver around for shots, etc.

Weight wise Windwalker 7-3/4lbs, 17"x20" Limit 8lbs, 17"x26" and regular Spirit ll.lbs, 19"x28" with rope attachment which I've never used (used chain before).

Anybody with any personal experience with any of these stand I would appreciate advice.

Thanks,
Hoyt

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Loc-On loc on Stands
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
I think the Loc-On spirit is the best stand ever made for all around use. Light enough to carry as far as you need too. I also have a windwalker when I really want to get out there or I'm combining scouting w/ hunting. I'm a big guy, 250ish so I'm maxing that one out I think but I've never felt like it wasn't strong enough. Too small to be comfortable for a long time. I miss the days when I used screw in steps. A spirit and 10 steps were a pretty awesome light weight setup.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
I have a Windwalker, Lem and two Sprits.  Rock solid stands - you can straighten out the hook.  I don't like them for these reasons.  One all four of mine make noise when sitting.  Since they started making stands the go on slanted trees I'd never buy one that only went on straight trees.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
I'm a big fan of my Windwalkers for hang-it-and-hunt-it situations.  My favorite all around stand is the Climax, but those are too heavy and noisy for quick setups for my taste.  The Windwalker fits that bill nicely.  You might have to make some adjustments to the seat tension bolts or covering material (like slip a hanky in along the front rail) to quiet things abit (as Todd said, can squeek a little), but they are great otherwise.  I've killed several good bucks out of quick setups to take advantage of a developing situation that I wasn't set up for and used Windwalkers for this application.

If you are cooney about heights you might find the Windwalker a bit small.  I don't set up in single trunk trees without branches, so I have never felt queasy with the platform size.

Ryan

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
My favorite is the Limit. Easy to set, solid and quiet. A little more foot room without much more weight than the Windwalker and a higher seat height. Spent many 12 hour days on stand in a Limit and was as comfortable as one could be sitting in a tree for 12 hours. My vote is for the Limit. Had two of them with API climbing sticks, about a half dozen rope on steps, and the backpack that Loc-On made to fit the Limit/Windwalker. No tree in the woods I couldn't conquer with that setup. Backed over one of my setups with my truck a few years back, that was a sad day, now I'm down to one      :(
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline AMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
Limit!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
Limit with a woodpecker drill and 10 bolts  ...  the ultimate in mobility
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 11:23:00 PM »
I like all my windwalkers. They are lightweight and strong. And I can fit one right in my pack. I have also had to add some plastic to the front rail to quiet things. I also carry a small roll of carpet pad(18"x48"). I can't handle sitting too long without it. Gary

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 01:19:00 AM »
I've had a limit for many years - love it. Only stand I ever use.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
Thanks for all the good info. I was pretty much decided on the Spirit, but since lightweight is my main goal, guess I'm leaning towards the Limit. Just hope it will go on trees as small around as my old Super Spirit would. It would work on a 6" dia. tree.

A lot of areas I hunt are thickets with only very small trees.

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
They work in trees smaller than 6".  I shot a bear out of a tree so small that I had to rap the cord around the tree twice to have the hole in the cord reach the hook.  I was only about 6 or 7 feet up and the bear walked right under the tree.  I didn't even look for fear of him hearing my head movement.

That Woodpecker drill and bolt system is the best climbing system I've ever saw or used.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
Awbowman and Bowmania both hit the nail on the head about the woodpecker drill climbing system. Sweet thing is if you climb that same tree next week all you gotta do is insert bolts on the way up.Sweet deal. I carry mine scouting sometimes and when I find a hot spot I go ahead and set a tree up for climbing.RC

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »
Now that we use a SOP harness ALL the time in hang on stands I have found I can use a much smaller platform and still be comfy and secure. In days of old without a harness I substituted a larger platform for my safety factor.... yes stupid and foolish !

I actually feel I have more shooting options with the smaller platform being that it is out of my way and directly under me.I am leaning toward a Gorilla Silverback hang on due to the awesome seat and light weight.These days the most important part of a hang on for me is the seat.When standing I can lean out using my harness to make more shots. Less chance of getting skylined as well. And yes Bowmania, the Woodpecker and bolts are awesome !!!
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
I have several old Spirit models with the old seat.  I have adapted new seats to them and really like em.  I now use them a perm. stands and use the chain mount method.  I have not seen that much of a "squeak" problem but then I have lubed them with silicone.

Great stand.... I do also use some stands with larger foot platforms... getting older and I like the space....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
Great stands! I have 2 of the Limts and wouldn't part with them. I have a few other hang on stands but I love these when I have to set up for one day or one hunt and then move.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 02:29:00 AM »
I have a handfull of spirits and lems, but I pretty much use them as permanent stands since I bought a couple lone wolfs. The lone wolfs are just so much more versatile and quiet for run and gun situations.
BD

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 03:13:00 AM »
Just got done looking at the Loc On website. Does anyone know where these stands are manufactured?
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2011, 06:03:00 AM »
I always thought they were made in N.C., but the website gives a location of  Waterford, Ohio.

Offline pickaspot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2011, 03:29:00 PM »
Where can you get the woodpecker drills now? I have one that I have used since the late 80's - got it from Jerry. Replaced the bit several times and it is still good as ever.

I would like to get a new one for my boy. They are not listed on the Simmons web site...
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." H.D. Thoreau

>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline KYhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
You can get the woodpecker drill here

http://www.woodyhunting.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©