3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: KUIU Question  (Read 214 times)

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
KUIU Question
« on: July 08, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
I like wool, always have. It's the way my Dad dressed me 16 years ago for my first big game season. I've hunted in plenty of other fabrics and they've always reinforced my love of wool. I've never been tempted by another fabric, until now. But I have one GIANT question about this KUIU stuff.

If I'm walking through wet, knee to waist high vegetation all morning, will I feel comfortable?

I'm often soaking wet from the thigh down. In wool I feel totally comfortable. Does anybody have any experience with the KUIU in wet conditions? My main interest is for elk hunting. I'm almost always wet to some degree. Will I be comfortable?

What peaked my interest was the reviews of others who claimed that the wool was too heavy and bulky and that KUIU (it might have been Sitka) was just as comfortable but lighter and packed smaller. I never even thought about my wool being too heavy or bulky, that's just the way it was.

Is the fabric comparable to Sitka? I have no experience with Sitka either but I will look up Sitka reviews if it's comparable. Anybody else with feedback specifically comparing KUIU to wool would be much appreciated!
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: KUIU Question
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
Tommy,
The Merino that KUIU offers is a top and bottom base layer.  The thinner next to skin Merino is a 185 gram, and the thicker second layer is a 250 gram.  From what you wrote, it seems that you are looking for a water resistant pant?  KUIU does offer an Attack Pants which is made from Primeflex, a four way double weave stretch woven fabric. It is also treated with kudos DWR (water repellant).

Jason, (owner of KUIU)  just wrote a blog entitled KUIU Merino101.

http://kuiu.wordpress.com/2011/07/05/kuiu-merino-101/    

Check it out, and if you have more questions, feel free to write directly to Jason on his blog. In addition, I'll be more than willing to give my personal input too.  Let me know.

Thanks!
Ryan

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
Thanks Ryan. I should have been more specific. Yes, the Merino wool they offer looks great. I am most interested in the Attack Pants. I've read about the Primeflex and all that but I haven't seen anything that really answer my question - compared to wool how comfortable will I be when I'm wet (in the Attack Pants or the Guide Jacket)?
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Online Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
Tommy,
KUIU fabric will dry much faster than wool. will also be water resistant, less bulky. In most cases when wet, it will dry on its own when not still raining.
The big difference will be stationary warmth. Wool is hard to beat sitting in a tree stand. Moving about KUIU will be much more comfortable.

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
Tom,
Have you held the stuff in your hands?  If not, I would then have an excuse to come visit.  I bought a guide jacket.  The Attack pants are next.
homebru

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
No Nathan I have not held it in my hand. I would appreciate that if you have a chance!
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
I have to be downtown on Wednesday.  I'll throw it in the truck and come visit.
homebru

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 02:03:00 PM »
I am interested to hear the same question answered.  I have always loved it when someone says wool is to heavy or to bulky.  My grandfather and father never complained about wool or its weight.  They insisted I wear it in cold or wet conditions to stay warm and alive.

If KUIU has fabrics that provide the same insulation level that wool does when wet, I will most definately be buying a bunch of their clothing.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
Those look to be nice pants and exactly what is needed for hunting out here. Regarding wool- my experience is the better and thinner wools do not "get heavy" when wet. They simply expand to a small degree, tightening the weave of the fabric which essentially forms a barrier against more absorption.

Perhaps when compared to fabrics like those in the Attack pant, wool would then be regarded as heavy. I have also tried wool pants that were too heavy, even dry. Cheaper wools, woven poorly, are never a good option.

I would love to see an Attack pant in very light, tight woven wool. I'd buy that product in a heartbeat.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
KUIU is a layering system. The attack pants is the outer layer. Durable, water resistant, light weight, breathable. The merino bottoms are used under the attack pants. The 185 is your first layer and the 250 is the secondary layer for added warmth. For myself it's the best of both worlds. You can use the benefits of wool and synthetics together as one. I use the system to adapt to my hunting environments.

Offline memo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
High Plains,
If you're walking through wet vegetation all day, you are going to get wet no matter what you wear.
I wear fleece shorts with gaiters and if it is cold, leggings. Seems weird at first but I have found that it is the most comfortable way of hunting wet. The idea is that you are going to have wet legs no matter what you wear, but at least with shorts you dont have wet pants rubbing all day.
Most of the guys on New Zealands south island wear this and I borrowed the idea from them. I have worn shorts the past 2 years now, and haven't looked back.

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
Tom,
My Guide jacket should be on your desk.

I'll stop by another day to pick it up.
homebru

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
N8
I would like to check them out.  Still good excuse for a road trip?
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »
RMSG is a great place to visit.  Lots more to do after visiting them.  Drop me a note.
homebru

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »
Wanna do a 14er?
homebru

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
Homebru you are the man! Thank you for bringing this jacket by. I placed an order for the jacket, I was very impressed with the fit. Looks to be a great windbreaker underneath a wool jacket on a cold November day as well.

I talked to Brenden today from KUIU. He sold me on the pants and I am sure I will be getting them in the near future. Doesn't look like I was in time for this hunting season though.

Thanks for all the info guys. memo I don't think I'm man enough to wear shorts! HA! Thank you for sharing.
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©